• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

banning firearms in a city park??

boomer92266

imported post

i was just in the city park today in tompkinsville(monroe county), and noticed that the park rules posted on a big sighn as i entered. the bottem rule said no firearms allowed in city park. i went back to talk to the sherrif( the same guy i talked to abouthow muchmy c.c.p. would cost and he said just open carry till i could afford the permit,its legal in more places than conceal carry) great guy. well he was gone and a deputy was there, now the deputy was nice and said the city council at city hall passes park rules. he said he knows the constitution says i can carry and that cities can't pass laws that go against that but he didn't know about a park. he said call the sheriff tomorrow and ask him. its just a city park and its a public area, can i carry open in there? i would like to know from ya'll as its my first time going to a park open carrying. thanks for any help.

Liberty4Ever

imported post

I tried to rent a shelter for Lexington's first open carry picnic and the online rental agreement had "No firearms are allowed in any park." I called the director of the LFUCG Division of Parks & Recreation, read KRS 65.870 to him and that firearms prohibition was off the rules that afternoon. I think they knew it was illegal when they sneaked it in there. I think there were no signs in the park because the city knew they were illegal.

I need to make a couple of hours to edit and post the video from the open carry picnic. It was great. Lots of fun, and over four hours of great conversation. We definitely need to do this again.

Please push back on your local city council and make sure they know their anti-gun policy is clearly and demonstrably illegal. Be courteous, but firm. The law is on your side.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/065-00/870.PDF

If they give you the legal run around, trying to tell you the law doesn't mean what it clearly states, refer them to the state attorney general's opinion.

http://ag.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/14A6E6E5-DB0C-40B1-AE48-A344172701A9/0/OAG9371.htm

I wish these local governments would cease and desist, but unfortunately, as soon as new council members are elected, they often decide that they want to ban guns. Gee, like nobody ever thought of that before.

The cost of liberty is eternal vigilance.