Thread: MO Man Snags Felony Charge For Intervening In Purse-Snatching

Post imported post

Heroism? Bravado? Self-defense of another? Over-reaction? Good citizenship? Hapless vigilante? Gun-first guy(GFG)?

Goof with a gun? (Well-intentioned or Rambo-style)

You decide...

Certainly, there are some lessons in this case for us in the gun carry community.

Our Voice
    Vigilante justice not best way

Recent incident sounds more like bravado than genuine self-defense.

September 16, 2009

You might feel sorry for Charles Webb.

You might be thinking: man, this guy was just trying to help an older lady in trouble and now he's in trouble himself.

You might be thinking he deserves a medal, not a felony charge that says he put people in jeopardy with a lethal weapon.

Stow those thoughts for just a few minutes though and consider:

- Both the purse-snatcher and accomplice who Webb confronted got away;

- Webb didn't get a good description of them;

- Webb allegedly fired his 9mm handgun at least five times on a Friday evening, in an area with businesses and traveled by other cars and people;

- Webb initiated a high-speed chase;

- Springfield Police and prosecutors now have to spend time with the case against Webb, instead of handling other criminal investigations.

Yes, when you take the law into your own hands, even if you mean well, you can end up wasting the time of those same police you were trying to help.

This case has already gotten a lot of attention, and it will likely get more. You'll probably hear people defending Webb by citing a citizen's right to defend himself or others against a threat. You'll also probably hear others decrying his actions, concerned about the danger of vigilantism.

That's OK, and a good discussion to have after an incident like this. However, if the police descriptions of what happened are correct, this was less a case of self-defense than it was bravado -- and dangerous bravado at that.

This case is also likely to start a lot of chatter and debate over concealed weapon permits, because police say Webb had a valid one.

Springfield Police Chief Lynn Rowe points out, though, that the permit really had no bearing on this incident.

Missouri law allows anyone to carry a firearm in a vehicle, concealed or not, and no account of what happened Friday indicates Webb ever concealed his handgun.

Additionally, it appears Webb will lose his permit based on his apparent misuse of his weapon.

So, please, save your ammunition if you plan to use Webb to crucify those who feel the need to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

But don't try to use him as a poster boy for arguing the need for these permits either.

Let's just be happy that, apparently, no one was hurt along South Moulder and Battlefield Road Friday.

Let's hope the system also treats Webb fairly; he certainly doesn't seem to deserve jail.

And let's hope everyone who hears or reads of this matter learns an important lesson:

Unless you or someone near you faces a immediate physical threat, use your eyes, brain and a pen to fight crime, not your gun. Stay safe, and get a good description of suspects.

Then, let police do what they're trained to do -- not waste time prosecuting well-meaning but overzealous citizens.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/2...NS01/909160383

Post imported post

Why not try anactual news story with some of the details, instead of an op-ed piece with none.

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs...D=200990914040

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:
    Why not try anactual news story with some of the details, instead of an op-ed piece with none.

What's your opinion on the incident, buster?

Post imported post

defiantly should not of pursued let alone fire his weapon at a petty theft. its unfortunate that happened and i understand where he was coming from but he did take it a little far, and i bet the charges will stick

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    buster81 wrote:

What's your opinion on the incident, buster?
    There is insufficient detail to determine what actually happened, as usual.

However, based on what is here,I would haveseen to the old lady and called911 for her. No high speed chases for me. It's the police's job to endanger the public with high speed chases.

Post imported post

Guns for self defense are just that. Better think twice before using YOUR gun for somene's else's self defense.

That's the lesson to be learned.

I'm warming up to ya, Hank.

Post imported post

dvdaughtry wrote:
    Guns for self defense are just that. Better think twice before using YOUR gun for somene's else's self defense.

So you're the only "self" in the world?

Please give me a full list and description of all your close friends and relatives. That way I will be able to avoid offending you by refusing to come to their aid in a similar situation. I would really hate to offend anybody in such a manner. It's far better for a loved one to be killed than to be helped by a stranger.

Post imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
    dvdaughtry wrote:

False dichotomy.

Either/or fallacy.

5 yard penalty.

1st and five.

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:

Yuck... firing a weapon from a vehicle in the city is a BAD idea.

To chase after on foot for an arrest is one thing, this was a dangerous high speed chase where others could've been hurt.

Webb brought his own sadness, breaking the law. Even if he didn't realize he was breaking the law, ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
    dvdaughtry wrote:

Please give me a full list and description of all your close friends and relatives. That way I will be able to avoid offending you by refusing to come to their aid in a similar situation. I would really hate to offend anybody in such a manner. It's far better for a loved one to be killed than to be helped by a stranger.

First, you cannotoffend me unless I allow you too, however just know that the law is not on your side. That's the whole frackin' point Hank makes on this website.

You'd be better served to hand the old lady a $100 and offer her assistance to get her credit/debit cards closed and a new DL.

As for you helping my family, I hope you would make the correct decision.

The guy the fires the gun has to be above reproach. That is the point and lesson to be learned.

Post imported post

this is what happens when a person sticks their nose where it does not belong.

he was a goof with a gun...

Post imported post

This guy was well intentioned. The problem is, he went waytoo far. Like the old saying goes, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" and might I add, stupidity. He's on his way to hell in a courtroom.

Once the thieves drove away, he should have simply called 911 and consoled the woman as best he could. Called for a friend or family member to come help her out.

Sounds like a LEO wannabe.

EDIT: This is the kind of crap that gives the rest of us a bad rep.

The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers