• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bass Pro Sports

zig-zag

imported post

Hi all, I know that this has been talked about before on this site but I can't find it so Ill start again by saying that on 9/15/09 I went into bass pro on Northfield st in Denver Co and I was talking to a manger about open carry and the phone call or letter that Mike stollenwick received from Mr Whitely stating that OC is welcome in all stores where state law allows, and the manager says their store does not allow it because it is in Denver and also the stores and corporate policy doesn't allow it. My question is because this store is in Denver even though the store is private property can the city of Denver stop you from OC and is he wrong about this stores policy that goes against corporate policy. He showed me a paper he said he got from Headquarters that OC is not allowed, and by the way I seen him writing on the paper before he showed it to me, and the stores listing was hand written and was the only one on the paper he said he just received, just a coincidence maybe? So what do you think. Does city law override state law about private property. I think the manager is wrong.

Anubis

imported post

Denver code 38-118 indicates that one may carry a firearm on his own private or business property. State law allows anyone controllinga business propertyto prohibit firearms, carried concealed or openly, on that property. Whether the local store violates Bass Pro Shops corporate policy is a separate issue.

My opinion is that the local management of a Bass Pro Shop can ban carry on the property; of course they must post a sign, otherwise how would we know carry is banned there?

Equinox

imported post

That Bass Pro does have a sign which, for the most part, says that firearms should be checked in. So, would this apply only to firearms that are being serviced by the gunsmith or all firearms? Would it apply to concealed carry in the store?

centsi

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Equinox wrote:
That Bass Pro does have a sign which, for the most part, says that firearms should be checked in. So, would this apply only to firearms that are being serviced by the gunsmith or all firearms? Would it apply to concealed carry in the store?
This sign and others like it should not be applied to concealed carry. I've seen some signs like this changed to read "expect for concealed carry owners" because gun owners were asking store management about it's application to CCWs (Big R Stores). Or your weapon is concealed you are fine. If someone sees it and has a problem all they can do is ask you to leave.

As far as OC in the Denver Bass Pro Shop, the company policy is a moot point given that OC is already prohibited in Denver.

zig-zag

imported post

I don't know about being Brass Pro is private property and you can open carry if business allows. There is a Sportsman Warehouse in Denver and you can open carry in there but you have have to have your magazine removed. Like I said there was a post that came from Mike Stollewick( i think that's hoe you spell his name) stating that a Mr Whitely from Basses headquarters that stated open carry is welcome in all their stores as long as State law not City law allows and no store can have a different policy so that is all i am saying.

mahkagari

imported post

Anubis wrote:
My opinion is that the local management of a Bass Pro Shop can ban carry on the property; of course they must post a sign, otherwise how would we know carry is banned there?

Assuming you are talking about OC, I'd saythe answer is because it is in Denver. You have to walk from your car to the store, which is not necessarily BPS's property.

Regarding private property, I think it's only polite to find out if a person minds if I carry to their private property in advance. There are friends whose house I won't go to because they're not comfortable with guns in their homes and I'm not comfortable walking from my car to their front door.

There's no Sportsman's in Denver, TMK. There is one in Thornton.