Thread: Mike Bouchard is running for governer.

Post imported post

At this point, he is the greatest asset in law enforcement that we have had in this state. He went way above and beyond to fix the situation after his deputies harassed us, and caused a ripple effect of PD's in the area being educated.

So now, with him running for governor, I think it's only sensible that we should do what we can to help him.

Regardless of any political differences we might share with him (and I have at least a couple), I think it would be great to have a governor who is openly friendly to OCing.

Here is his web page. http://www.bouchardforgovernor.com/home/

Thoughts?
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I'm not very knowledgeable on his background, other than what he did to help us out. Based on his handling of just that situation, I agree with you.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    Here is his web page. http://www.bouchardforgovernor.com/home/

Thoughts?
    The extent of his gun rights position I found on the website is:

"Mike’s also a hunter and an NRA member. Beyond that he’s earned the NRA’s support as well as the support of gun owners across the state in each of his campaigns."

I'm voting for the candidate with the most in-depth, explicit, and unqualifiedpro-gun position and/or voting record. If it's Mike, he gets my vote. If it's someone else, they get my vote.

I'm ambivalent about his positive response to the open carry incident. Sure, it was great and nice. But if he's such a gun rights guy, how did it happen in the first place? A sheriff's department is led from the top and deputies don't do anything that mightpi** off the boss. So, if so many deputies wereacting anti-gun-rights, what does that lead me to believe are their true perception of their boss' positionon gun rights? Maybe they didn't have a real good clue about his gun rights position. But wouldn't that also be astrike against him?

Like I said, I'm ambivalent about him, if it comes to considering other pro-gun candidates at this point in time.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

I am personally in favor of the idea...

Post imported post

All good points Dan.

If you can suggest a different and better pro gun candidate, I'll be happy to support him or her instead.

If not, I think we should contact him or his reps and ask what we can do as an organizationto help.

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Perhapsa Michael Bouchard for Governor OC Picnicwould be a good start.

Post imported post

I was under the impression Mike Cox is also considering running. I thought he was pretty pro-gun or is that incorrect?

Post imported post

I agree with Dan on this one. However, I generally stick to voting on propositions rather then politicians. Never know what a person is REALLY like or how they will be influenced throughout their term.

Post imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
    I agree with Dan on this one. However, I generally stick to voting on propositions rather then politicians. Never know what a person is REALLY like or how they will be influenced throughout their term.
    Ah yes, BHO does come to mind.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    All good points Dan.

If you can suggest a different and better pro gun candidate, I'll be happy to support him or her instead.
    Mike Cox. Different. Better.

At this point in time, that's my opinion and I would vote Cox over Bouchard.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

While I largely respect Mike Cox for his legalizing pre86 full autos, I simply don't think he's done as much for us as Bouchard has.

As attorney general, Mike Cox could have contacted every PD in the state and perhaps made some more opinions regarding OC, perhaps something like a declaration of slung long arms not being brandished, perhaps something like an opinion that OCing in no way constitutes RAS for a stop. But he didn't.

Sheriff Bouchard on the other hand DID go all out and do just about everything he could to help us after the ugly incident his deputies initiated. Additionally he asked us to contact him at any time with trouble, which is something we could still do if he was governer. We've had no such offer from Mike Cox that I am aware of.

All that said, neither seem to be bad options for gun rights. I think what we should probably consider doing is getting behind the one that has the best chance at winning. But I'm not well versed enough in politics in this state to know who that is.

Post imported post

DanM wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    All good points Dan.

Mike Cox.* Different.* Better.

i'm definitely for Mike Cox. He is the best AG this state has ever had. Not only that he's a huge proponent TRTBA. Look at the restoration of NFA full auto to Michigan.
    Not only that go read all his AG opinions.

PS im still waiting for them to open up SBR's and cans. I wish someone would cause a ruccus lol.
    Mike

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    All good points Dan.

If not, I think we should contact him or his reps and ask what we can do as an organizationto help.

I think we should take a close look at Atty General Mike Cox and his stance before endorsing anyone.
    As it stands, he's (Mike) my pick.

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

My understanding is that as an organization MOC can not officially endorse a candidate. However, we can provide a list of pro gun candidates for people to look at.

Post imported post

MOC itself I suppose shouldn't endorse any candidates in order to remain politically neutral.

However, that doesn't mean that large numbers of MOC members can't get together to help a candidate campaign.

It's been made very clear that no one other than the specific reps speak for MOC. This would be no different.

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    MOC itself I suppose shouldn't endorse any candidates in order to remain politically neutral.

However, that doesn't mean that large numbers of MOC members can't get together to help a candidate campaign.

It's been made very clear that no one other than the specific reps speak for MOC. This would be no different.
    you got it.

Post imported post

I have met Mike Bouchard and was very impressed by him - very approachable and seemed to be doing the right thing for the right reason (I.E. No Power Trip). He would definitely be an early favorite for me in the race. I like Mike Cox for filing the 2A Amicus Brief as well, but do not know as much about him. Guess it is time to start researching!

I agree that MOC should not take a stand and that individuals should donate their time/effort/resources if they feel it is warranted.
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

It's my impression (though I could be wrong) that the AG can only issue an official opinion if he's asked by a person of the government (Congressman , LEO, etc), which, if true, may be why he hasn't issued any better opinions on OC.

I'd like to see which candidates would

1: Get rid of registration
    2: Get rid of non CPL car carry
    3: Get rid of CPL restriction zones
    4: Allow non-resident permits to be valid (except for MI resident)
    5: Get rid of the requirement that rifles/shotguns be cased and out of reach
    6: Change CPL permit to be optional, like AK

Other issues.....

1: Lower license plate fees
    2: Eliminate seat belt requirement
    3: Eliminate helmet requirement for motorcycle (on and off road), ATV's & Snowmobile

the list could go on and on.....
    Rand Paul 2016

Post imported post

Yooper wrote:
    It's my impression (though I could be wrong) that the AG can only issue an official opinion if he's asked by a person of the government (Congressman , LEO, etc), which, if true, may be why he hasn't issued any better opinions on OC.

I'd like to see which candidates would

1: Get rid of registration
    2: Get rid of non CPL car carry
    3: Get rid of CPL restriction zones
    4: Allow non-resident permits to be valid (except for MI resident)
    5: Get rid of the requirement that rifles/shotguns be cased and out of reach
    6: Change CPL permit to be optional, like AK

Other issues.....

1: Lower license plate fees
    2: Eliminate seat belt requirement
    3: Eliminate helmet requirement for motorcycle (on and off road), ATV's & Snowmobile

the list could go on and on.....
    Could MOC shoot off (haha) a questionaire to the people running with questions pertaining to OC and then make the answers to those questions available to MOC members?

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

DanM wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    All good points Dan.

Mike Cox. Different. Better.

Both may be in violation of Hatch Act .

Post imported post

...I had to look that up so for others benefit:

Covered state and local employees may-
    • run for public office in nonpartisan elections
    • campaign for and hold office in political clubs and organizations
    • actively campaign for candidates for public office in partisan and nonpartisan elections
    • contribute money to political organizations and attend political fundraising functions
    Covered state and local employees may not-
    • be candidates for public office in a partisan election
    • use official authority or influence to interfere with or affect the results of an election or nomination
    • directly or indirectly coerce contributions from subordinates in support of a political party or candidate

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Generaldet wrote:
    My understanding is that as an organization MOC can not officially endorse a candidate. However, we can provide a list of pro gun candidates for people to look at.
    True. MOC can not endorse a candidate, but can list candidates for people to educate themselves on.

Having said that the President of MOC, Inc. can be seen in this photo. This photo in no way condones or condemns Mike Cox for Governor. Senator McManus is in the middle and is running for Secretary of State.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    Generaldet wrote:
    True. MOC can not endorse a candidate, but can list candidates for people to educate themselves on.

Having said that the President of MOC, Inc. can be seen in this photo. This photo in no way condones or condemns Mike Cox for Governor. Senator McManus is in the middle and is running for Secretary of State.
    Where you in hole or was Mike on ladder ?

Post imported post

taxwhat wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    Generaldet wrote:

Where you in hole or was Mike on ladder ?

I think that almost everyone that has been mentioned from the Republicrats has been pro-firearm only in that they advocate no further firearm restrictions. The problem remains that the most severe 2A restriction that exists is the registration requirements; visitors here can't have a pistol with them for protection unless they have a permit/license from their home state. This is worse than the registration requirement for residents. For residents, jumping through the hoops is a serious issue and I would like the law totally repealed... but not being able to carry at all even though you may in your home state is simply intolerable.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.