• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mike Bouchard is running for governer.

Michigander

imported post

At this point, he is the greatest asset in law enforcement that we have had in this state. He went way above and beyond to fix the situation after his deputies harassed us, and caused a ripple effect of PD's in the area being educated.

So now, with him running for governor, I think it's only sensible that we should do what we can to help him.

Regardless of any political differences we might share with him (and I have at least a couple), I think it would be great to have a governor who is openly friendly to OCing.

Here is his web page. http://www.bouchardforgovernor.com/home/

Thoughts?

Taurus850CIA

imported post

I'm not very knowledgeable on his background, other than what he did to help us out. Based on his handling of just that situation, I agree with you.

DanM

imported post

Michigander wrote:

The extent of his gun rights position I found on the website is:

"Mike’s also a hunter and an NRA member. Beyond that he’s earned the NRA’s support as well as the support of gun owners across the state in each of his campaigns."

I'm voting for the candidate with the most in-depth, explicit, and unqualifiedpro-gun position and/or voting record. If it's Mike, he gets my vote. If it's someone else, they get my vote.

I'm ambivalent about his positive response to the open carry incident. Sure, it was great and nice. But if he's such a gun rights guy, how did it happen in the first place? A sheriff's department is led from the top and deputies don't do anything that mightpi** off the boss. So, if so many deputies wereacting anti-gun-rights, what does that lead me to believe are their true perception of their boss' positionon gun rights? Maybe they didn't have a real good clue about his gun rights position. But wouldn't that also be astrike against him?

Like I said, I'm ambivalent about him, if it comes to considering other pro-gun candidates at this point in time.

Michigander

imported post

All good points Dan.

If you can suggest a different and better pro gun candidate, I'll be happy to support him or her instead.

If not, I think we should contact him or his reps and ask what we can do as an organizationto help.

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

I agree with Dan on this one. However, I generally stick to voting on propositions rather then politicians. Never know what a person is REALLY like or how they will be influenced throughout their term.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
I agree with Dan on this one. However, I generally stick to voting on propositions rather then politicians. Never know what a person is REALLY like or how they will be influenced throughout their term.
Ah yes, BHO does come to mind. :)

DanM

imported post

Michigander wrote:
All good points Dan.

If you can suggest a different and better pro gun candidate, I'll be happy to support him or her instead.

Mike Cox. Different. Better.

At this point in time, that's my opinion and I would vote Cox over Bouchard.

Michigander

imported post

While I largely respect Mike Cox for his legalizing pre86 full autos, I simply don't think he's done as much for us as Bouchard has.

As attorney general, Mike Cox could have contacted every PD in the state and perhaps made some more opinions regarding OC, perhaps something like a declaration of slung long arms not being brandished, perhaps something like an opinion that OCing in no way constitutes RAS for a stop. But he didn't.

Sheriff Bouchard on the other hand DID go all out and do just about everything he could to help us after the ugly incident his deputies initiated. Additionally he asked us to contact him at any time with trouble, which is something we could still do if he was governer. We've had no such offer from Mike Cox that I am aware of.

All that said, neither seem to be bad options for gun rights. I think what we should probably consider doing is getting behind the one that has the best chance at winning. But I'm not well versed enough in politics in this state to know who that is.

mikestilly

imported post

DanM wrote:
Michigander wrote:
All good points Dan.

Mike Cox.  Different.  Better.

At this point in time, that's my opinion and I would vote Cox over Bouchard.

i'm definitely for Mike Cox. He is the best AG this state has ever had. Not only that he's a huge proponent TRTBA. Look at the restoration of NFA full auto to Michigan.
Not only that go read all his AG opinions.

PS im still waiting for them to open up SBR's and cans. I wish someone would cause a ruccus lol.
Mike

discerningshootist

imported post

Michigander wrote:
All good points Dan.

If not, I think we should contact him or his reps and ask what we can do as an organizationto help.
I think we should take a close look at Atty General Mike Cox and his stance before endorsing anyone.
As it stands, he's (Mike) my pick.

Michigander

imported post

MOC itself I suppose shouldn't endorse any candidates in order to remain politically neutral.

However, that doesn't mean that large numbers of MOC members can't get together to help a candidate campaign.

It's been made very clear that no one other than the specific reps speak for MOC. This would be no different.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

Michigander wrote:
MOC itself I suppose shouldn't endorse any candidates in order to remain politically neutral.

However, that doesn't mean that large numbers of MOC members can't get together to help a candidate campaign.

It's been made very clear that no one other than the specific reps speak for MOC. This would be no different.
;) you got it.

PDinDetroit

imported post

I have met Mike Bouchard and was very impressed by him - very approachable and seemed to be doing the right thing for the right reason (I.E. No Power Trip). He would definitely be an early favorite for me in the race. I like Mike Cox for filing the 2A Amicus Brief as well, but do not know as much about him. Guess it is time to start researching!

I agree that MOC should not take a stand and that individuals should donate their time/effort/resources if they feel it is warranted.

Yooper

imported post

It's my impression (though I could be wrong) that the AG can only issue an official opinion if he's asked by a person of the government (Congressman , LEO, etc), which, if true, may be why he hasn't issued any better opinions on OC.

I'd like to see which candidates would

1: Get rid of registration
2: Get rid of non CPL car carry
3: Get rid of CPL restriction zones
4: Allow non-resident permits to be valid (except for MI resident)
5: Get rid of the requirement that rifles/shotguns be cased and out of reach
6: Change CPL permit to be optional, like AK

Other issues.....

1: Lower license plate fees
2: Eliminate seat belt requirement
3: Eliminate helmet requirement for motorcycle (on and off road), ATV's & Snowmobile

the list could go on and on.....

Bronson

imported post

Yooper wrote:
It's my impression (though I could be wrong) that the AG can only issue an official opinion if he's asked by a person of the government (Congressman , LEO, etc), which, if true, may be why he hasn't issued any better opinions on OC.

I'd like to see which candidates would

1: Get rid of registration
2: Get rid of non CPL car carry
3: Get rid of CPL restriction zones
4: Allow non-resident permits to be valid (except for MI resident)
5: Get rid of the requirement that rifles/shotguns be cased and out of reach
6: Change CPL permit to be optional, like AK

Other issues.....

1: Lower license plate fees
2: Eliminate seat belt requirement
3: Eliminate helmet requirement for motorcycle (on and off road), ATV's & Snowmobile

the list could go on and on.....

Could MOC shoot off (haha) a questionaire to the people running with questions pertaining to OC and then make the answers to those questions available to MOC members?

Bronson