• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Extended domain law versus private property

tyjax

imported post

My place of employment does not allow firearms in locked vehicles on their property. Is that violating New Mexico's extended domain law? It is a real concern with the majority of the employees that work here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RogueWarrior

imported post

So how do they know that you have weapons in your car. Are they going to search them because If they do I'd think that they would need the police there to do it.

tyjax

imported post

They will occasionally run dogs around them when we come arrive in the morning. I've never had my vehicle searched yet. I just want to know if they're breaking the law. I drive 30 mile to and from work 5 days a week. It makes it hard to protect yourself when you don't have a handgun in the truck. It just doesn't seem right.

Scooter88310

imported post

unless you work on a military installation yes, they are breaking the law. no one can tell you not to have weapons in your car. unless you work on a military installation.

tyjax

imported post

I talked to our local district attorney today and he told me that private property trumps the New Mexico Extended Domain law.:X

tyjax

imported post

I live in Silver City. He said that since it was posted on a sign when you enter the property that it legal for them. He really didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I mentioned the extended domain law. I really wish that I could find some "concrete" facts on this issue. I should be getting my CCW permit in a few more weeks and this is really important to me.

SpaceCase

imported post

Not being able to CARRY gun on private property when a sign is posted is correct, but your car is private property too. It is in fact an extension of your home as was ruled by the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. I will try to dig up concrete evidence to support this.

Caveat:

In NM your employer can fire you for almost any or no reason. You may fight this and then the employer decides he doesn't like your shirt, and your standing in the unemployment line. I really hate to say this, but you may be better off parking off property.

-Space

snoball

imported post

It would be interesting to see the law on this. My son is an air traffic controller and it is not permitted to have a gun in your car.....termination is the penalty. You are right about losing your job; you may have a legal right but your employer carries the weight and it will stand in court if you are fired....it has happened.

SpaceCase

imported post

Snoball,

Air Traffic is a federal installation. The feds trump any district court ruling until it comes down from the supreme. Sucks that the feds ignore the 2nd amendment so blatantly and without challenge!

-Space