• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to fly and take handgun?

Mississippian

imported post

Hi guys and gals.

It looks like I may have to fly up to IN and would really like to take my handgun with me. Beings I have never taken a handgun with me on a trip like this I figured it may be best to ask what kind of problemsI may run into.

I am assuming the same rules apply just like I was carrying a long-gun that the handgun has to be unloaded, locked in a hard case and then checked in (not carried on). Right?

What about the ammo? Can the mags and any extra ammo be inside the locked case with the unloadedgun?

If I go, I will be driving a CMV back, I don't know if I will OC or not as this is a paid gig and even though they know I will be carrying, I wouldn't want to take any chances in causing a delay.

More info:

I have a MS Firearms Permit and most likely will be flying out of Mobile, I am not sure what city in Indiana I'd be flying into as of yet.

darthmord

imported post

There is a recent VCDL news update that had a list of things to look for in order to fly with firearms. There is also a YouTube video that covers a lot of the same.

The key thing is that flying with firearms is *VERY* much like driving with firearms. Doesn't matter that where you are travelling through has made unlicensed / unregistered guns illegal. Federal law lets you travel with them as long as they are properly cased / stored for transport and you are legal to possess firearms at your start/destination points.

Mississippian

imported post

Thanks, already checked and all the states I'll be travelling throughhave reciprocity with MS.

This:

Traveling with Special Items
Firearms & Ammunition

/graphics/images/travelers/firearm_improper_package.jpg
Photo of a firearm improperly packaged.
You may only transport firearms, ammunition and firearm parts in your checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on baggage.

There are certain limited exceptions for law enforcement officers who may fly armed by meeting the requirements of Title 49 CFR § 1544.219. Law enforcement officers should read our policies on traveling with guns.

The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:

• You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
  • The firearm must be unloaded.
  • The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
  • The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
  • We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft. TSA locks are not approved for securing firearms.
  • You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
  • You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
  • You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
  • You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.
/graphics/images/travelers/firearm_proper_package.jpg
Photo of a firearm properly packaged.
We and other authorities strictly enforce these regulations. Violations can result in criminal prosecution and civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation.

Airlines may have their own additional requirements on the carriage of firearms and the amount of ammunition that you may have in your checked baggage. Therefore, travelers should also contact the airline regarding its firearm and ammunition carriage policies.
Is what I needed to know. Thanks.

Mississippian

imported post

It all went well, the 'authorities' at the airport wanted to have a look at the gun and how it was packed, but that was it, they didn't ask for any kind of permits nor did they check or recordthe serial number.

One thing that I believe helped is I had the rules printed out and enclosed with the gun, one guy was trying to say I couldn't have the mags loaded at all (had two fully loaded mags), but the rules clearly state that they can beas long as they are properly packaged, I pointed to the rules and he said "oh-ok".

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I've flwon with my shootin' irons (and shootin' aluminums) many times.

Walk up to the ticket counter and say "I have firearms to declare."

I try to say it to the most uptight liberal-looking turd I can find. One time, in Orlando, I was told that I was going straight to jail just for saying that, even if it isn't true! Hahaha!

I was on the plane 20 minutes later.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ixtow wrote:
I've flwon with my shootin' irons (and shootin' aluminums) many times.

Walk up to the ticket counter and say "I have firearms to declare."

I try to say it to the most uptight liberal-looking turd I can find. One time, in Orlando, I was told that I was going straight to jail just for saying that, even if it isn't true! Hahaha!

I was on the plane 20 minutes later.
Man that must've been funny, :celebrate