• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are gun owners being played by politicians?

Superlite27

imported post

Great article. I've always thought the same thing come election time. Why is it that no politicians are ever anti-gun before election, but they suddenly become so when firearm legislation comes up?

TFred

imported post

As we are starting to learn in the National Healthcare debate, it is just as important to take note of who is not complaining as it is to take note of who is complaining!

If the Brady Bunch is not endorsing "the other guy", then you have a pretty good idea "your guy" is not who you really want.

TFred

codename_47

imported post

Of course they are. Gun politics are just like abortion, gay marriage, and all the other hot button issues that get people riled up to distract them from the reality of what is going on such as the depreciating dollar, the bank bailouts, etc...

Most of these issues don't really affect the average joe on a day to day basis, except for guns.

Just ask yourself this: What national politician has done ANYTHING for gun owners, gun rights, the availability of guns etc...

I don't mean sponsored legislation that dies, I mean actually passed legislation, and please don't say the Heller v DC case, since that was the supreme court and opposed by many in washington.

Sure, republicans get the check mark for the "pro gun" party, but they are responsible for gun free school zones (HW Bush ), the ban on full autos (Reagan), and haven't really done anything to make guns more available to anyone.

Again if one argues that party X is for or against guns owners, then pray tell what have they done to support/harm them? Not talk, but actions.

miked

imported post

All groups are just pawns in the political arena. Unfortunately we rarely know when we are being used until it's too late. Once bitten twice shy though, If I vote for someone and then they flip-flop on what they stand for, they will not receive my vote again come re-election.