Thread: Ohio reciprocity....

Post imported post

Well, the family and I will be heading to Ohio this weekend, to the great wolf lodge and maybe the Toledo Zoo.

To my knowledge, with reciprocity, I must obey both Ohio and Michigan concealed carry laws yes? A thorough study of Ohio concealed carry laws is in order.

I believe Ohio is also an open carry state as well. Again, familiarizing myself with general Ohio firearm laws is in order.

I'm just wondering if there are any known pitfalls to watch out for. The only one I'm really aware of is if stopped in ohio, while carrying, that I'm not even supposed to reach for my wallet or anything before the officer gets to my door. I think I also read that even if I'm "concealing" in my vehicle, that the firearm needs to be in plain sight?

Post imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
    Well, the family and I will be heading to Ohio this weekend, to the great wolf lodge and maybe the Toledo Zoo.

To my knowledge, with reciprocity, I must obey both Ohio and Michigan concealed carry laws yes? A thorough study of Ohio concealed carry laws is in order.

I believe Ohio is also an open carry state as well. Again, familiarizing myself with general Ohio firearm laws is in order.

I'm just wondering if there are any known pitfalls to watch out for. The only one I'm really aware of is if stopped in ohio, while carrying, that I'm not even supposed to reach for my wallet or anything before the officer gets to my door. I think I also read that even if I'm "concealing" in my vehicle, that the firearm needs to be in plain sight?
    Cykes,with such short notice, this is probably your best bet:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

Post imported post

Just my opinion, bu I'd suggest that you CC to avoid having to deal with another states LEO's/Court sysem, but that is yor call.

I also suggest that you eat at the Waffle house while you are in Toledo!

Post imported post

Thanks springer, that's exactly what I was looking for.

T, I think the wife already has that on the list of things to do :P

Post imported post

Have a nice trip, be safe.

Regular Member Springfield Smitty's Avatar
    OKC, OK (Heading back to MI very soon - thank goodness)

Post imported post

You should probably ask these questions on the Ohio forum. They are surely the best ones to talk to about this.
    -U.S. Army Veteran (2002-2005) 11BVB4 (Infantry, Airborne, Ranger, some other stuff) SGT (E-5)
    -Public Service Professional - I've done it all: LEO, FF, and EMT
    -Certified NRA Instructor
    -CPL / CCW (whatever other acronym you can think of for carrying a concealed pistol) Instructor
    -Co-founder of OKOCA

I am not an attorney. None of my statements should be accepted, nor are they intended to be offered, as legal advice or fact of law.

Post imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
    Thanks springer, that's exactly what I was looking for.

T, I think the wife already has that on the list of things to do :P
    I suggest a cheese omelette, and a TRIPLE order of hashbrowns, scattered, smothered (with cheese), and covered (in onions)! SO GOOD!

Me and the fiance used to drive down to Toledo from Ann Arbor once a week just to eat there. We'd usually find something else to do while we were in town, but the main point of the trip was to go to the Waffle House!

Post imported post

I was CC'ing in Ohio a month ago. The key thing with CC in Ohio that's different from here is the class D liquor license prohibition. I had to store my pistol at every restaurant I visited. You can go to party or liquor stores but not anything else.

The below is prohibited:
    Licensed D-Liquor Permit premises in which any person is consuming liquor. Concealed firearms are
    banned in premises for which a D permit has been issued or in an open air arena for which a permit of that
    nature has been issued. There are some exceptions to this prohibition. The prohibition does not apply to
    principal holder of D permit as long as principal holder is not consuming liquor. The prohibition does not
    apply to an agent or employee of the principal holder who is also a peace officer who is also off duty.
    Possession of a concealed firearm is allowed in a retail store with a D-6 or D-8 permit as long as concealed
    carry license holder is not consuming liquor. Class D permits are generally issued to an establishment that
    sells alcohol for consumption on the premises. In any event, be certain of the type of permit and whether
    liquor is being consumed before you enter with a concealed handgun.
    • Government facilities that are not used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles,
    or rest facility and is not a courthouse or a building or structure in which a courtroom
    is located.
    • School safety zones. A “school safety zone” includes a school, school building, school premises, school
    activity, and school bus. For purposes of this statute, a school includes everything up to the property
    boundary. The law generally forbids the carrying of a handgun in a school
    safety zone unless all of the following apply:
    · You do not enter a school building, premises or activity; and
    · You have a concealed carry license or temporary emergency license; and
    · You are not otherwise in one of the forbidden places listed above and detailed in R.C. 2923.126 (B);
    or
    · You are a driver or passenger in a motor vehicle immediately in the process of picking up or
    dropping off a child, and you are not otherwise in violation of the laws governing

Post imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:

You don't obey Michigan laws when in Ohio, you obey Ohio law. Ohio law enforcement officers can't enforce, nor will they care about Michigan law. As long as you abide by Ohio law, you're fine.

Do you obey the vehicle laws of the state your from, or the state your driving in?
    Same with CHP/CPL's/CCW/CPP etc.
    Rand Paul 2016

Post imported post

T Vance wrote:
    Just my opinion, bu I'd suggest that you CC to avoid having to deal with another states LEO's/Court sysem, but that is yor call.

I also suggest that you eat at the Waffle house while you are in Toledo!
    Are they posted no firearms? I love eating at Waffle House restaurants when I'm further south but many of the ones I've been in are posted as no firearms. You should check and see if signage carries legal weight in Ohio.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

Bronson wrote:
    Are they posted no firearms? I love eating at Waffle House restaurants when I'm further south but many of the ones I've been in are posted as no firearms. You should check and see if signage carries legal weight in Ohio.

Bronson
    That goes with any store/restaurant you decide to enter

Post imported post

Welcome Jim.

I'll be honest, I'm kind of confused by your post

Are you asking a question or just making a statement?

We had a great time, and no issues whatsoever while in Ohia.

Post imported post

welcome abourd jolojim could you please add your location to your Profile.

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Here is a link to the reciprocity agreement with the State of Michigan, it even bears the Ohio Attoney General's signature. Also, on the right side of thispage under "Popular Publications" you will see a link to the current Ohio concealed carry laws.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/f...ocity-Agreemen

United we STAND!