• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio reciprocity....

FatboyCykes

imported post

Well, the family and I will be heading to Ohio this weekend, to the great wolf lodge and maybe the Toledo Zoo.

To my knowledge, with reciprocity, I must obey both Ohio and Michigan concealed carry laws yes? A thorough study of Ohio concealed carry laws is in order.

I believe Ohio is also an open carry state as well. Again, familiarizing myself with general Ohio firearm laws is in order.

I'm just wondering if there are any known pitfalls to watch out for. The only one I'm really aware of is if stopped in ohio, while carrying, that I'm not even supposed to reach for my wallet or anything before the officer gets to my door. I think I also read that even if I'm "concealing" in my vehicle, that the firearm needs to be in plain sight?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Well, the family and I will be heading to Ohio this weekend, to the great wolf lodge and maybe the Toledo Zoo.

To my knowledge, with reciprocity, I must obey both Ohio and Michigan concealed carry laws yes? A thorough study of Ohio concealed carry laws is in order.

I believe Ohio is also an open carry state as well. Again, familiarizing myself with general Ohio firearm laws is in order.

I'm just wondering if there are any known pitfalls to watch out for. The only one I'm really aware of is if stopped in ohio, while carrying, that I'm not even supposed to reach for my wallet or anything before the officer gets to my door. I think I also read that even if I'm "concealing" in my vehicle, that the firearm needs to be in plain sight?

Cykes,with such short notice, this is probably your best bet:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

T Vance

imported post

Just my opinion, bu I'd suggest that you CC to avoid having to deal with another states LEO's/Court sysem, but that is yor call.

I also suggest that you eat at the Waffle house while you are in Toledo!

T Vance

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
Thanks springer, that's exactly what I was looking for.

T, I think the wife already has that on the list of things to do :p

I suggest a cheese omelette, and a TRIPLE order of hashbrowns, scattered, smothered (with cheese), and covered (in onions)! SO GOOD!

Me and the fiance used to drive down to Toledo from Ann Arbor once a week just to eat there. We'd usually find something else to do while we were in town, but the main point of the trip was to go to the Waffle House! :D

mikestilly

imported post

I was CC'ing in Ohio a month ago. The key thing with CC in Ohio that's different from here is the class D liquor license prohibition. I had to store my pistol at every restaurant I visited. You can go to party or liquor stores but not anything else.

The below is prohibited:
Licensed D-Liquor Permit premises in which any person is consuming liquor. Concealed firearms are
banned in premises for which a D permit has been issued or in an open air arena for which a permit of that
nature has been issued. There are some exceptions to this prohibition. The prohibition does not apply to
principal holder of D permit as long as principal holder is not consuming liquor. The prohibition does not
apply to an agent or employee of the principal holder who is also a peace officer who is also off duty.
Possession of a concealed firearm is allowed in a retail store with a D-6 or D-8 permit as long as concealed
carry license holder is not consuming liquor. Class D permits are generally issued to an establishment that
sells alcohol for consumption on the premises. In any event, be certain of the type of permit and whether
liquor is being consumed before you enter with a concealed handgun.
• Government facilities that are not used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles,
or rest facility and is not a courthouse or a building or structure in which a courtroom
is located.
• School safety zones. A “school safety zone” includes a school, school building, school premises, school
activity, and school bus. For purposes of this statute, a school includes everything up to the property
boundary. The law generally forbids the carrying of a handgun in a school
safety zone unless all of the following apply:
· You do not enter a school building, premises or activity; and
· You have a concealed carry license or temporary emergency license; and
· You are not otherwise in one of the forbidden places listed above and detailed in R.C. 2923.126 (B);
or
· You are a driver or passenger in a motor vehicle immediately in the process of picking up or
dropping off a child, and you are not otherwise in violation of the laws governing

Yooper

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:

You don't obey Michigan laws when in Ohio, you obey Ohio law. Ohio law enforcement officers can't enforce, nor will they care about Michigan law. As long as you abide by Ohio law, you're fine.

Do you obey the vehicle laws of the state your from, or the state your driving in?
Same with CHP/CPL's/CCW/CPP etc.

Bronson

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Just my opinion, bu I'd suggest that you CC to avoid having to deal with another states LEO's/Court sysem, but that is yor call.

I also suggest that you eat at the Waffle house while you are in Toledo!

Are they posted no firearms? I love eating at Waffle House restaurants when I'm further south but many of the ones I've been in are posted as no firearms. You should check and see if signage carries legal weight in Ohio.

Bronson

T Vance

imported post

Bronson wrote:
Are they posted no firearms? I love eating at Waffle House restaurants when I'm further south but many of the ones I've been in are posted as no firearms. You should check and see if signage carries legal weight in Ohio.

Bronson
That goes with any store/restaurant you decide to enter

FatboyCykes

imported post

Welcome Jim.

I'll be honest, I'm kind of confused by your post :)

Are you asking a question or just making a statement?

We had a great time, and no issues whatsoever while in Ohia.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U