• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stolen Handgun

Michigander

imported post

It's a good reason to lock your gun if you have to stash in in your car. A cheap and fairly secure option for a CPL holderis a cable lock through the mag well and secured to the sturdiest part of the inside of the car.

rj3663

imported post

I make and install a rugged lock box for your car/truck. Its made from plate steel and locks with a Harley Davidson disc brake lock. Still, you should never ever leave your gun in a vehicle overnight, or for any longer than absolutely needed. Thats responsable gun ownership. Especially in Ypsi!!!

Veritas

imported post

Leader wrote:
There should be a law against stealing guns from cars.

Then maybe the thief would be blamed instead of the owner that didn't do ANYTHING wrong.
Amen. A voice of reason... thank you.

Some cities have made it illegal to leave your car running unattended because it makes it too easy for the criminal to steal your car. At surface level, it sounds logical... don't leave your car running with the doors unlocked because it might get stolen. But when you think about it a little deeper, you realize the law is total BS.

First of all, we live in Michigan. It gets super cold here. Many folks, myself included, will warm their vehicles up in the morning before driving them. Secondly, punishing the VICTIM is never the answer. I'm in favor of laws that treat criminals much more harshly than I am for laws that moderately punish victims; regardless of how "foolish" some people think the victim is.

If I leave my vehicle parked in my driveway with the keys in it, and it's stolen... that's for me and my insurance company to figure out. The only role the government should play in the matter is in searching out the CRIMINAL who stole my car and then PUNISHING him if he's caught. I mean, what's next? A law that makes it illegal to sit in your home with the doors open? Afterall, an open door is an invitation for a criminal to come in and rob the place, right? Wrong... an open door is just that: An open door. It's NOT an invitation and it does not negate any of your rights.

This said, a gun left in a vehicle is not illegal. The Constitution enumerates our right to be secure in our personal property... if an officer cannot search your vehicle without probable cause or a warrant, then a criminal damn well can't do it either. Would I leave a gun in my vehicle for an extended period of time? Probably not. But even if I do, does that suddenly make me guilty of any crime? Does that suddenly negate my personal property rights and give a criminal the right to steal it? No.

Let's remember who the real criminals are.