• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC around town in Charlotte

thatisandwas

imported post

Ok guys i purchased my first firearm last week. I am the proud owner of a PA63 9mm. I love the gun, and i've had quite a good time at the range with it 3 times already. I have been OC'ing most all the time, and i have had some good, and some bad reactions. I want to know what you all think about these situations.

For the record, i am 25 with kind of long hair and a beard. So i guess im not the most clean cut looking individual but i am by no means a "scary looking man". I have been in to Dicks Sporting Goods, 2 gas stations, harris teeter (one time) and i think a couple other places with no issues whatsoever.

The other day me and a friend went to ihop for breakfast. We both were OC'ing. When we entered, the lady at the front asked if we were police officers (Why is this always the first question?) and then asked us to leave. I called IHOP corporate and they said "because it is a family restaraunt they do not want guns on the premises."

Also, i went to Harris Teeter last night, (the same one i had no problems at before) and did my shopping. I even ran in to a friend and stopped and had a conversation about OC with him. I explained the OC is legal in NC except where expressly prohibitied and govt building etc...

So after i rang up my own groceries i noticed a small group of employees gathered around my area. After i finished paying (of course) one of the kids said to me, "Sir, are you a police officer?"..."No." "Ok, for future reference, we don't want guns in the store. I know its your right to carry it around or whatever but we dont want them in here, just so you dont have trouble next time your here." I replied with "You didn't have any sign outside saying no weapons on the premises, perhaps you should post one if you don't want people excersing their rights." He responded with "there is a sign out there, on the side of the building"...He was just trying to shut me up though, because i smiled and said "Ok, no problem." and left the building. There was no sign anywhere outside.

When i got to my car, my battery was dead. I called my girlfriend (luckily we live only 2 blocks down the road) to come give me a jump. While waiting in my car and looking under the hood 2 of the same employees came outside. First they made a pass behind my car and circled the lot. The next time they came outside my girlfriend was there and i was connecting the jumper cables from her car to mine, the kid asked me "Is someone helping you?" (CLEARLY!) and i told him yes. When i got my car started, while pulling out of the lot, a Matthews police officer was pulling in to the lot. He didn't notice me, and i got home.

What do you all make of this awful situation?

Juggernaut

imported post

thatisandwas wrote:
Ok guys i purchased my first firearm last week. I am the proud owner of a PA63 9mm. I love the gun, and i've had quite a good time at the range with it 3 times already. I have been OC'ing most all the time, and i have had some good, and some bad reactions. I want to know what you all think about these situations.

For the record, i am 25 with kind of long hair and a beard. So i guess im not the most clean cut looking individual but i am by no means a "scary looking man". I have been in to Dicks Sporting Goods, 2 gas stations, harris teeter (one time) and i think a couple other places with no issues whatsoever.

The other day me and a friend went to ihop for breakfast. We both were OC'ing. When we entered, the lady at the front asked if we were police officers (Why is this always the first question?) and then asked us to leave. I called IHOP corporate and they said "because it is a family restaraunt they do not want guns on the premises."

Also, i went to Harris Teeter last night, (the same one i had no problems at before) and did my shopping. I even ran in to a friend and stopped and had a conversation about OC with him. I explained the OC is legal in NC except where expressly prohibitied and govt building etc...

So after i rang up my own groceries i noticed a small group of employees gathered around my area. After i finished paying (of course) one of the kids said to me, "Sir, are you a police officer?"..."No." "Ok, for future reference, we don't want guns in the store. I know its your right to carry it around or whatever but we dont want them in here, just so you dont have trouble next time your here." I replied with "You didn't have any sign outside saying no weapons on the premises, perhaps you should post one if you don't want people excersing their rights." He responded with "there is a sign out there, on the side of the building"...He was just trying to shut me up though, because i smiled and said "Ok, no problem." and left the building. There was no sign anywhere outside.

When i got to my car, my battery was dead. I called my girlfriend (luckily we live only 2 blocks down the road) to come give me a jump. While waiting in my car and looking under the hood 2 of the same employees came outside. First they made a pass behind my car and circled the lot. The next time they came outside my girlfriend was there and i was connecting the jumper cables from her car to mine, the kid asked me "Is someone helping you?" (CLEARLY!) and i told him yes. When i got my car started, while pulling out of the lot, a Matthews police officer was pulling in to the lot. He didn't notice me, and i got home.

What do you all make of this awful situation?

Welcome to the forum! :celebrateand on the purchase of your new gun!

Please don't ask to have no gunsigns posted. It's counterproductive.

I would be takingmy business elsewhere. I've seen a couple bad storys about IHOP and their no guns policy. It seems the employees that came out of the Harris Teetergot your tag. I wouldn't even try to debate anything with them at that point. Too bad they waited until you paid(maybe intentional).I mightfollow up witha call to a manager to see if there is actually a no gun policy.

thatisandwas

imported post

What i really want to know is, can i carry in to any store as long as it doesnt expressly say that i can't?

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

You can, but if they ask you to leave, then you have to leave...

When they initially approached you, AFTER paying, I would've said "OK, thanks for the info! Now, can you get someone over here so I can return all of the groceries I just bought? I'm going down the street to Food Lion where they appreciate my business."

Then I would've stood there for as long as it took for someone to reach into my buggy, unpack all of the groceries, and re-scan every item I bought. And I would've done it with a smile on my face and a gracious "Thank You!" Harris Teeter is too expensive anyway...

Just my two cents...

Juggernaut

imported post

ItsMyRight2Carry wrote:
When they initially approached you, AFTER paying, I would've said "OK, thanks for the info! Now, can you get someone over here so I can return all of the groceries I just bought? I'm going down the street to Food Lion where they appreciate my business."

Then I would've stood there for as long as it took for someone to reach into my buggy, unpack all of the groceries, and re-scan every item I bought. And I would've done it with a smile on my face and a gracious "Thank You!" Harris Teeter is too expensive anyway...

Just my two cents...

Never though of that...I'll have to remember that too.

ItsMyRight2Carry

imported post

I did that one time when Harris Teeter told me I was REQUIRED to give my phone number and driver's license number in order to get one of those VIC cards...I was shopping that day for a birthday party for my son, and the total came up to $185.

I filled out the registration card, without my phone number and driver's license, and when the cashier gave the card to the manager, he said "I need you to fill it out completely." So, I put a fake phone number and handed it back. That's when he said "I need you to fill in your driver's license number, it's REQUIRED in order for me to give you the VIC card. I said "Let me tell you something, you DON'T need my DL# in order to give me a discount card. Now either you can take all $185 worth of groceries back, and I'll go right across the street to Lowe's, or you can give me the card and the discount." He frowned and gave me the card.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

Welcome to the forum fellow Charlotte resident.

I live in your general area, and I do not go into the harris teeter in question(if it's the one by peak fitness with the starbucks inside) because i've def. got some dirty looks from the employees and was figuring itwas going to go down hill quickly so I went to Uscan and got my spinach and artichoke dip and left without incident. I have not returned since, I really don't appreciate being stared at and followed.

When I shop at food lion(which is closer anyways... but with less of a selection IMO) I don't get so much as a second look and they are literally 3 miles from each other..., I guess it's just the atmospher at that fancy harris teeter.

I OC without incident at many gas stations in the area, i've taken the time to get the know the people that work at the stations around where I live because i've lived here for around 10 years, so this may also be a reason why I don't have any incidents there.

If you are mild mannered and respectful I don't see why your facial hair or length of hair would matter, I wouldn't consider myself in the norm either, but if you do those two things and people still can't come to terms with you carrying, go elsewhere.Their fear is a direct result of lack of education on firearms and firearm safety and it will be impossible for you to change thaton the spot(however if they are willing to be educated, why not).

If i'm not mistaken this is a democratic county(how it voted last election), and I don't want to assume all democrats are anti gun but... you are going to find that there are more anti-gun sentiments the closer you get to the city and metro areas.

I would recommend taking some time and going through some of the previous posts, most of your questions will probably beanswered there as I learned. You were within legal limits of the law, and the more you become firmilar with you rights the more comfortable you will become.

I hope someof this helped, i'm in a rush to get out the door but I saw this and thought it needed to be responded to, so excuse all errors. Good luck in the future.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

I've never had a problem OCing in Charlotte.

I even had a Sherrif Deputy behind me in line at Harris Teeter once and nothing was said.

I wouldn't change a thing that you have done, or plan to do. Different managers and employees sometimes take it upon themselves to make up rules.

dkefn33

imported post

i have even oc in that same harry peter, just a week ago ago noone said or did anything, but now i dont want to go back

dkefn33

imported post

yes sir your rigt i think i am going to talk to the police officers i know that are the matthews pd