• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to Disarm in Burke Wal Mart

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Its kinda far for me to go to just have a conversation with a store manager. I would enjoy such a challenge. I need to go visit NoVa again and watch the :shock:up there.

I got a few :shock:when I stopped for cookies atthe grocery store at Braddock Rdand Burke Lake Rd on the way to the OC picnic at Burke Lake Park a couple months back. I guess thereare a lot moresheeple in NoVa due to the proximity toCriminal Centralin the bullseye of the Beltway.

Jero1987

imported post

"Its nothing personal against you...."

I would have said, "Its nothing personal against you, but im calling your regional manger".

Oh well...

VApatriot

imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
Maybe the body language indicated otherwise, but both the SE and the manager didn't sound very friendly or professional to me.
I'll go check this out myself by the end of this weekend.
I'm not pushing any blame on you based on the answer to this question: What were you wearing that day?
Neither of the employees ever demanded that I leave, and they were willing to take the time to have a conversation with me. Neither came across as anti-gun or freaked out by the idea of me carrying; they just seemed to be acting on what they seemed to believe was in the best interest of their store. If they wereindeednot aware that Wal-Mart typically does not have a problem with open carry in their stores, I can understand why they tookthe stance thattheydid on the issue.Itis likely thatneither had ever been in that positionbefore,so I felt that, giventhe abnormality of the situation,they respondedit the most professional manner they knew how to.Since I felt I was not going to be able to convince them of anythingright then and there, so I decided to justleave and take it up with ahigher level of management.

I was wearing camo-pattern shorts and a tee-shirt that was tucked behind my gun but not all the way into my shorts. I know it is very casual dress, but it is pretty much the same thing Ihave wornevery other time I have OCed at Wal Mart.

richarcm

imported post

Bottom line is its private property and Walmart corporate gives their store managers discretion. It sucks that they held the position that they did but it is their right. Private property rights is partly what we should all agree upon. We aren't obligated to agree with them. We are obligated to obey them. :(

TFred

imported post

richarcm wrote:
Bottom line is its private property and Walmart corporate gives their store managers discretion. It sucks that they held the position that they did but it is their right. Private property rights is partly what we should all agree upon. We aren't obligated to agree with them. We are obligated to obey them. :(
I would not agree that this assertion has been established as true across the board. There are certainly a few cases where store managers have had the last word, but that is likely due to a lack of persistent follow-up with the chain of authority. I am not aware of any incident which has resulted in the a local manager being given the authority to disregard corporate policy.

If I am mistaken, I'm sure we would all like to know of such a case.

My assessment of the whole Walmart situation is that OC, or CC for that matter, is a drop in the bucket to them. They are there to make money, and these matters only serve to distract them from that end. They will do what ever they have to do to displease the fewest number of potential customers.

ETA: The ultimate solution to the problem is to convince Walmart top management that it is in their best interest to enforce their policy (as we understand it, to mimic state laws on OC/CC) uniformly across their empire, and to educate the management chain all the way to the ground. The question is, how do we do that?

TFred

IamMick

imported post

If it were me I would tell her that several thousands of people from the Virginia area alone are members of VCDL and/or OCDO and if they shouldn't worry about the 1 or 2 people leaving the store because you are OC. They should worry about those several thousand people that aren't going to shop at that walmart after hearing this tape lol.:lol:

Mick

IamMick

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Its kinda far for me to go to just have a conversation with a store manager. I would enjoy such a challenge. I need to go visit NoVa again and watch the :shock:up there.

I got a few :shock:when I stopped for cookies atthe grocery store at Braddock Rdand Burke Lake Rd on the way to the OC picnic at Burke Lake Park a couple months back. I guess thereare a lot moresheeple in NoVa due to the proximity toCriminal Centralin the bullseye of the Beltway.
That and the DC snipers didn't really help our position as "guns save lives" in that area.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

IamMick wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

That and the DC snipers didn't really help our position as "guns save lives" in that area.

Don't get me started on the "DC snipers". They were FAR from snipers. They were just murderers. The adult had been in the Army and BARELY qualified with the rifle as a "marksman". Hardly sniper material. Its pretty hard to miss a shot with a scoped AR under 100 yards using a bipod or other rest they had rigged in the trunk of that car. Those two knuckleheads couldn't hold a candle to a real sniper.

They were just murderers that happened to use a rifle...:cuss:

IamMick

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
IamMick wrote:
MSC 45ACP wrote:

Don't get me started on the "DC snipers". They were FAR from snipers. They were just murderers. The adult had been in the Army and BARELY qualified with the rifle as a "marksman". Hardly sniper material. Its pretty hard to miss a shot with a scoped AR under 100 yards using a bipod or other rest they had rigged in the trunk of that car. Those two knuckleheads couldn't hold a candle to a real sniper.

They were just murderers that happened to use a rifle...:cuss:
Woaaah haha looks like we know your trigger...I agree though. I wasn't saying they were actually qualified snipers from the Army, just the name the media gave em.

IamMick

imported post

Although if I may add although at a short distance they qualify according to the Websters Dictionary.

• Main Entry: [sup]2[/sup]snipe
  • Function: intransitive verb
  • Inflected Form(s): sniped; snip·ing
  • Date: 1832
1 : to shoot at exposed individuals (as of an enemy's forces) from a usually concealed point of vantage
2 : to aim a carping or snide attack
snip·er noun

I would say that shooting through a small hole in the trunk of your car at exposed pedestrians would fall under example 1.

I'm only teasing ya Jim, my heart does go out to all affected from those C*$% Su%$#^@

nova

imported post

IamMick wrote:
Although if I may add although at a short distance they qualify according to the Websters Dictionary.

• Main Entry: [sup]2[/sup]snipe
  • Function: intransitive verb
  • Inflected Form(s): sniped; snip·ing
  • Date: 1832
1 : to shoot at exposed individuals (as of an enemy's forces) from a usually concealed point of vantage
2 : to aim a carping or snide attack
snip·er noun

I would say that shooting through a small hole in the trunk of your car at exposed pedestrians would fall under example 1.

I'm only teasing ya Jim, my heart does go out to all affected from those C*$% Su%$#^@
Websters also states that law enforcement are not civilians. Ask any member of our Armed Forces. They will tell you, no UCMJ = Civilian.

richarcm

imported post

Walmart's corporate policy to follow the law of the state that the store resides in only really means that they will not break the law by allowing guns in their stores where guns are not allowed. Follow a complaint with corporate in regards to a store where a manager asks you to leave and see what they say. They will say that the manager has discretion. Anyone want to wager? I'm broke. I need some money.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nova wrote:
SNIP Ask any member of our Armed Forces. They will tell you, no UCMJ = Civilian.
So, what are you saying? That the police with their "General Orders", sergeants and captains, and paramilitary gear are really just--

Soldier wannabe's?

Bwahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha! God, I can hardly breathe, I'm laughing so hard.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

All humor aside. I have to wonder if police are really all that professional and dedicated if they have to have a quasi-military structure to maintain discipline.

You'd think that if they were all that professional, discipline would come without the psuedo-military facade.

nova

imported post

Citizen wrote:
nova wrote:
SNIP Ask any member of our Armed Forces. They will tell you, no UCMJ = Civilian.
So, what are you saying? That the police with their "General Orders", sergeants and captains, and paramilitary gear are really just--

Soldier wannabe's?

Bwahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha! God, I can hardly breathe, I'm laughing so hard.
That wasn't the intention of my post but I will agree that some are. Not all, but some. Mostly it seems to be certain younger cops who join for the wrong reasons.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Terry the manager from the Bellingham Washington Wal-mart, told me that Wal-mart is pro 2A and that if open carry is allowed by state law it is allowed in the store, he read to me from Wal-mart corporate policy, but wouldn't share a copy of it with me. I of course wouldn't want to argue it with a manager at that very moment.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Terry the manager from the Bellingham Washington Wal-mart, told me that Wal-mart is pro 2A and that if open carry is allowed by state law it is allowed in the store, he read to me from Wal-mart corporate policy, but wouldn't share a copy of it with me. I of course wouldn't want to argue it with a manager at that very moment.
No don't argue - beg, plead, offer your next born male child. :?

I would be willing to pay for such a document !

He could redact the store # or other identifying marks from it. Then let it surface in another state. Could be worth 100 times its weight in gold.

Yata hey

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
sudden valley gunner wrote:
No don't argue - beg, plead, offer your next born male child. :?

I would be willing to pay for such a document !

He could redact the store # or other identifying marks from it. Then let it surface in another state. Could be worth 100 times its weight in gold.

Yata hey

(Note to self: Never let Grapeshot use metaphors unsupervised.) :D

You understand you just offered to pay a littleover $14,000 for that paper at7 sheets or so to the troy ounce?