View Poll Results: Do you carry a knife when you wear a gun?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I always carry a knife.

16 76.19%
  • Most of the time I carry a knife when I wear a gun.

2 9.52%
  • Sometimes I carry a knife when wearing a gun.

2 9.52%
  • I never carry a knife when I wear a gun.

0 0%
  • I never carry a knife.

1 4.76%

Thread: Do you carry a knife also?

Post imported post

I don't 100% OC but I 100% carry a folding knife. Generally it's in my right front pocket, making it easily accessible.

If you have a gun, why have aknife?

IF someone tries to take the gun, you can resort to your knife but here's my dilema - with the knife on your strong side, and your hand/arm trying to retain your firearm, how would you get to your knife?

Folks I know generally do the same thing (knife & gun on the strong side) but when asked about the above situation, they just shrug.

Post imported post

edit!
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar

Post imported post

Always carry my folding knife even while UOC'ing. Gun on strong side, knife on weak side. If someone trys to take gun, hold with strong while pulling and thumbing knife open with weak side. I've practiced plenty and don't have any problem handling my knife with my off hand. But do what's natural for you. I'd be amazed if someone trys to sneak your gun away.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

Post imported post

I carry my Spyderco Endura with me at all times, clipped to my front pocket.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

"Live Free or Die"

Post imported post

wewd wrote:
    I carry my Spyderco Endura with me at all times, clipped to my front pocket.

I have a few Benchmade Axis Lock folders and I'm always carrying one.

Muscle Memory is everything, so however you carry, practice a TON.

I keep it inside my strongside (right) front pocket such that the top of the closed blade is to the rear. I point that out because many people have different specifics.

This method was explicitly taught to me as an 'everyday' position as well as an excellent 'weapon retention' defense position.

The full scenario for retention is: right elbow/arm pulls in tight on the outside of the firearm. This positions the right hand on the clipped folder. Left hand crosses the body for downward pressure on the firearm. Rotate strongside away from attacker

While retaining the fiream, open folder, grip fiercly, fall/push/rotate into the attacker. Hopefully this will give you enough to get away and re-assess as needed.

Also, for those that haven't had much opportunity to think about it; if a knife comes into play EXPECT to get cut yourself.Quite ofteneven defensive use of a knife will cause the knife wielder to get cut. If you are mentally prepared for that possiblesensation, it goes a long way to preventing it from hampering your efforts.

Man, I feel like a Mall Ninja making a post like this

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar

Post imported post

I always carry my knife. If I'm UOCing I carry my knife on my weak side, but I usually carry it on my strong side. The obvious downfall of doing this is that I'm conditioned to reach for my knife on my strong side, except it won't be there when I have my sidearm.

I'm not sure if always carrying weak side is better, or always carrying strong side, or doing the switch.

Post imported post

bigtoe416 wrote:
    I always carry my knife. If I'm UOCing I carry my knife on my weak side, but I usually carry it on my strong side. The obvious downfall of doing this is that I'm conditioned to reach for my knife on my strong side, except it won't be there when I have my sidearm.

I'm not sure if always carrying weak side is better, or always carrying strong side, or doing the switch.
    I used to switch to back pocket weakside myself

Post imported post

I always carry my knife strong side because I am completely uncoordinated with my weak side. I could not be ambidextrous to save my life (literally as it may be). If someone went for my gun, the medics would be picking their teeth out of my elbow. But I have a level 2 retention holster and coiled lanyard so I think my weapon is reasonably secure.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

"Live Free or Die"

State Researcher

Post imported post

I also carry a knife at all times.

As for the gun grab scenario, there's 2 solutions:

1. Carry a belt knife in a place accessible to both hands.

2. Carry your firearm cross-draw. This puts your gun on your weak hip, where you can use your off hand to retain it, and leaves your main hand open to fight back. Also, this method of carry usually entails having a forward cant to your holster, which means it's less likely a grab from behind will be successful.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bad_ace's Avatar

Post imported post

UOC or not I've been carrying a knife on my person since I was 9. Gun grab situations are a bit different when you're carrying unloaded, The person would have to know that and grab both gun and ammo, less likely. Practice the Judo Chop!

Gun grabs aside, I will always carry a knife while UOCing because I don't want to shoot cardboard boxes open and when my wife has a string coming off a seam in her dress I'm sure she'll prefer the knife to the gun