• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'd in Fountain City and Alma

hardballer

imported post

OC'd in Fountain City and Alma on the street and in Kwik Trips, no problems, no comments, no untoward looks.

Ironically the only comment I have yet received was while my holster was empty. I was standing in the check out line in a local quicky mart, just didn't bother to transfer from it's case to my holster and a child who noticed my empty holster commented that he had a gun too.

I OC while fishing, any time I am in the woods and duck or goose hunting as well. This is fairly encouraging.

Use it or lose it.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

hardballer wrote:
OC'd in Fountain City and Alma on the street and in Kwik Trips, no problems, no comments, no untoward looks.

Ironically the only comment I have yet received was while my holster was empty. I was standing in the check out line in a local quicky mart, just didn't bother to transfer from it's case to my holster and a child who noticed my empty holster commented that he had a gun too.

I OC while fishing, any time I am in the woods and duck or goose hunting as well. This is fairly encouraging.

Use it or lose it.
Interestingly, Alma is a municipality that passed a clearly preempted gun ordinance-- I'm guessing maybe around 10 years ago-- before it was fashionable to try such nonsense. At that time I wrote to their city attorney to ask how they could do such a thing. I received a snarky "I don't work for YOU" sort of letter in return.

Firearm Regulations - Alma
An Ordinance Regulating Firearms and Other Weapons
1. a. No person may discharge or posses a firearm within 100 yards of any building devoted to human occupancy without the express permission of the owner or other lawful occupant of the building unless the firearm is unloaded and enclosed in a carrying case.
b. this paragraph shall not apply to any premises owned and operated by any public or private sportsman's range or club.
c. This paragraph shall not apply to uncased firearms within a building devoted to human occupancy.
2. a. No person may possess a rifle or a handgun, unless the rifle or handgun is unloaded and enclosed in a carrying case within that portion of the City of Alma which lies west of a line described as follows:
Beginning at the intersection of the east line of the southwest Quarter of the Northwest Quarter, Section 12, Township 21N, Range 13W, and the centerline of County Trunk Highway E;
Thence north along the east line of the West Half of the Northwest Quarter, Section 12 to the north line of said Section 12;
Thence West to the Northwest Corner of said Section 12;
Thence North along the east line of Section 2, Township 21N, Range 13W to the intersection of the east line of the Northeast Quarter of the Northeast Quarter, said Section 2, with the bluff line;
Thence, continuing northerly along the bluff line through said Section 2 and through Section 35, Township 22N, Range 13W to the intersection of the bluff line with the north line of said Section 35;
Thence east along the north line of Section 35 to the Northeast corner thereof;
Thence north along the east line of Section 26, Township 22N, Range 13W to the intersection of such east line with the centerline of State Trunk Highway 37 and there terminating.b. this paragraph shall not apply to possession of a shotgun.
3. a. No person may discharge an airgun or a bow and arrow without a permit within the platted portions of the City of Alma located north of Laue Street and south of the south line of the North Half of the Northeast Quarter Section 2, Township 21N, Range 13W (which runs approximately through the intersection of State Trunk highway 35 (Main St.) and Riverview Drive).
b. Permits shall be issued annually without cost to the applicant by the Police Chief on approval of either the Mayor or the Chairperson of the services Committee.
c. Permits may only be issued to a natural person for use of an airgun or bow and arrow on land owned or rented by them at an approved range or site where there is a sufficient backstop and side clearance to avoid injury to others.
4. Within this Ordinance, the following definitions apply:
a. "Airgun" means a weapon which expels a missile by the expansion of compressed air or other gas, including BB guns, pellet guns and air rifles.
b. "Bluffline' means the top of the escarpment of the bluff.
c. "Building" includes any house trailer or mobile home, but does not include any tent, truck, vehicle or similar portable unit.
d. "Firearm" means a weapon that acts by force of gunpowder.
e. "Handgun: means any weapon designed or redesigned, or make or remade, and intended to be fired while held in one hand and to use the energy of an explosive to expel a projectile through a smooth or rifled bore.
f. "Rifle" means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder or hip and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of a propellant in a metallic cartridge to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.
5. Any person violating a provision of this Ordinance shall be subject to a forfeiture of not less than $50.00 and not greater than $150.00, plus costs, as authorized by law.

hardballer

imported post

Shotgun wrote:

Interestingly, Alma is a municipality that passed a clearly preempted gun ordinance-- I'm guessing maybe around 10 years ago-- before it was fashionable to try such nonsense. At that time I wrote to their city attorney to ask how they could do such a thing. I received a snarky "I don't work for YOU" sort of letter in return.

I had no idea. I guess they really should take another look at that in light of recent rulings and opinions both statewide and nationally.

I OC'd in Fountain City today and spoke with a veteran of Iraq who mentioned he would like to OC and noted my 1911 was holstered 'cocked and locked".

He asked how I was authorized to carry and I replied that I was authorized by the Constitution of the United States and by state law. I said I stand by the Constitution and he agreed that he did as well.

There was another local in the store who piped up and asked; "Did I kill anything with that gun today" I replied; "Nope" and "Is that thing loaded?" I replied; "Yes it is." Turned out to be a journalist for the AP of all things. Writes for the local paper and the LaCrosse and Winona papers. His comments didn't sound too positive.

There were other factors that might have influenced his comments though. All in all, a positive experience.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hardballer:

First, WELCOME to the forum! Great to see another OC supporter.

I am curious how you came to find us and how you came to start OC. Just wondering for my personal curiosity as I have made many presentations on OC in the coulee region within the last few months.

Great to have you, I will add you to my list of locals. We are planning a dinner outing within the next few weeks and I would LOVE for you to join us.

Again, WELCOME and Carry On.

hardballer

imported post

Thank you for the welcome. I found OC.org from a link on a blog and glad I did.

Thanks for the invite too. It would be a real pleasure to speak with like minded friends and share experiences. Again, thanks for the welcome.

hardballer

imported post

OC'd Fountain City tonight. Stopped at a Kwik Trip. Was approached by a younger fellow (20's) who asked; "is that thing really loaded?"

I assured him it in fact was and that it was being carried in accordance with Wisconsin and United States Constitutional law.

He said; "Better safe than sorry, right?"

YUP!

hardballer

imported post

OC'd in Alma WI again and stopped at the Kwik Trip. A young fella was clerking and noticed I was carrying. He politely asked if he could ask me a question. I said yes and he asked why I was carrying a 1911.

Great intro. I told him, for self defense and because I felt compelled to do so because it was my right to self defense. It is legal in the state of Wisconsin and the 2A, the Bill of Rights clearly enumerates that right. (I am careful to word it like this because the Bill of rights does not give me the right, it is simply a 'to whom it may concern' enumeration of a right that is inherent in my existence as a living, breathing being.)

I remarked that it was unusual that anyone knew what my sidearm was. ( I knew he was a gun guy) Cool. He had a Ruger Blackhawk and was considering carrying. I encouraged him.

As we were talking, a woman walked up to the counter and remarked that she would feel much less nervous (scared) if I were to cover it, I would be breaking Wisconsin Law. She looks at me and then at the clerk who says;"I'd rather see the gun than not."

He remarked that; "Really, only the bad guys in Wisconsin hide their guns. So you don't know who they are." She said that was scary too. After more conversation, she smiled and shook my hand before she left. A little weird for me but cool.

I spent the rest of the day walking up and down the streets of Alma, taking pics and got some fun eagle pics. All in all, a good day.

For Pics click here.
http://davespicshere.blogspot.com/

You may check out my blog here:
http://rightspokenhere.blogspot.com/