Thread: guns on a train

Post imported post

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5316093.shtml

Senate Votes to Allow Guns on Amtrak
    Proposal Would Deny Railroad $1.6B Subsidy Unless It Changes No-Weapons Policy Established after 2004 Madrid Train Bombings.

gun owners are gaining ground.:celebrate:celebrate

Post imported post

Nice! Thats awesome!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

astrogiblet wrote:
    Nice! Thats awesome!
    I think it's stupid. There's currently ZERO security screening. This would force security screening if you want to board the train - even at the stops with extremely small stations.

I don't want TSA in the train stations.

They should just go back to the pre-9/11 rules, allowing people to carry. It's the easiest solution.

It's not like there's anything preventing people from carrying now, other than their rules.... It's not like we've had such a terrorist problem on the trains.

Post imported post

Its good to see the vote pass but as I see it cpl holders should still be able to conceal on board the train.

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
    astrogiblet wrote:
    Nice! Thats awesome!
    I think it's stupid. There's currently ZERO security screening. This would force security screening if you want to board the train - even at the stops with extremely small stations.

I don't want TSA in the train stations.

They should just go back to the pre-9/11 rules, allowing people to carry. It's the easiest solution.

It's not like there's anything preventing people from carrying now, other than their rules.... It's not like we've had such a terrorist problem on the trains.
    +1
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

I just believe there shouldn't be an places I cant carry period.

Post imported post

There is no chance in hell I'd ever consider trusting Amtrak with my handgun checked, or anything I find valuable in the slightest. They've lost or had a hard time finding numerous items of baggage of mine or my families the 7-10 times we rode trains across the US when I was growing up.

Back when the economy was good, there were still problems with thieves coming on board to steal stuff, then getting off, making it almost impossible to catch them. The economy has deteriorated a lot since then, so I imagine things may have become worse.

If I could carry on board in the states that allowed it, or put my handgun in my overhead luggage under the protection of federal law in non free states, I'd consider riding an Amtrak again. Otherwise I'm going to be driving and enjoying it.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    If I could carry on board in the states that allowed it . . . I'd consider riding an Amtrak again.
    no federal law prevents this now - am worried new bill would criminalize current lawful concealed train carry - i wonder what the bill says in the details.

Post imported post

I read the topic and immediately thought this was a knock-off of snakes on a plane.

Is train security as bad as airport security?
    If they don't throw me through a hundred metal detectors, and the train I'm on doesn't seat more than 2500, I don't see any reason why I can't carry the gun on my person. If I shoot and on the off chance miss or over-penetrate, I'm not going to be depressurizing the whole cabin.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

malignity wrote:
    I read the topic and immediately thought this was a knock-off of snakes on a plane.

If they don't throw me through a hundred metal detectors, and the train I'm on doesn't seat more than 2500, I don't see any reason why I can't carry the gun on my person. If I shoot and on the off chance miss or over-penetrate, I'm not going to be depressurizing the whole cabin.
    over 2500? Where the heck did that come from?

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
    malignity wrote:

over 2500? Where the heck did that come from?
    Because it so much fun to ride a train it's an entertainment facility

A few years ago I talked with the Amtrak rep on gun on trains and asked what would happen and what the "law" was. There is no law and it's a policy. He said if they saw you had a firearmyou would be asked to leave the train at the next station. I'm not even sure they could do that.

An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Hm. I guess I automatically think 2500, and think no gun. I suppose you're right; train and entertainment facility don't go together.

As far as 'policy' goes, I'm sure everyone has had an encounter where 'policy' has been made up on the spot. I'd have demanded to see such 'policy', and highly suggest that it be posted for all to see.

All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.