• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

guns on a train

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

astrogiblet wrote:
Nice! Thats awesome!

I think it's stupid. There's currently ZERO security screening. This would force security screening if you want to board the train - even at the stops with extremely small stations.

I don't want TSA in the train stations.

They should just go back to the pre-9/11 rules, allowing people to carry. It's the easiest solution.

It's not like there's anything preventing people from carrying now, other than their rules.... It's not like we've had such a terrorist problem on the trains.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
astrogiblet wrote:
Nice! Thats awesome!

I think it's stupid. There's currently ZERO security screening. This would force security screening if you want to board the train - even at the stops with extremely small stations.

I don't want TSA in the train stations.

They should just go back to the pre-9/11 rules, allowing people to carry. It's the easiest solution.

It's not like there's anything preventing people from carrying now, other than their rules.... It's not like we've had such a terrorist problem on the trains.
+1

Michigander

imported post

There is no chance in hell I'd ever consider trusting Amtrak with my handgun checked, or anything I find valuable in the slightest. They've lost or had a hard time finding numerous items of baggage of mine or my families the 7-10 times we rode trains across the US when I was growing up.

Back when the economy was good, there were still problems with thieves coming on board to steal stuff, then getting off, making it almost impossible to catch them. The economy has deteriorated a lot since then, so I imagine things may have become worse.

If I could carry on board in the states that allowed it, or put my handgun in my overhead luggage under the protection of federal law in non free states, I'd consider riding an Amtrak again. Otherwise I'm going to be driving and enjoying it.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Michigander wrote:
If I could carry on board in the states that allowed it . . . I'd consider riding an Amtrak again.
no federal law prevents this now - am worried new bill would criminalize current lawful concealed train carry - i wonder what the bill says in the details.

malignity

imported post

I read the topic and immediately thought this was a knock-off of snakes on a plane. :lol:

Is train security as bad as airport security?
If they don't throw me through a hundred metal detectors, and the train I'm on doesn't seat more than 2500, I don't see any reason why I can't carry the gun on my person. If I shoot and on the off chance miss or over-penetrate, I'm not going to be depressurizing the whole cabin.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

malignity wrote:
I read the topic and immediately thought this was a knock-off of snakes on a plane. :lol:

If they don't throw me through a hundred metal detectors, and the train I'm on doesn't seat more than 2500, I don't see any reason why I can't carry the gun on my person. If I shoot and on the off chance miss or over-penetrate, I'm not going to be depressurizing the whole cabin.

over 2500? Where the heck did that come from?

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
malignity wrote:

over 2500? Where the heck did that come from?

Because it so much fun to ride a train:banghead: it's an entertainment facility:D

A few years ago I talked with the Amtrak rep on gun on trains and asked what would happen and what the "law" was. There is no law and it's a policy. He said if they saw you had a firearmyou would be asked to leave the train at the next station. I'm not even sure they could do that.

malignity

imported post

Hm. I guess I automatically think 2500, and think no gun. I suppose you're right; train and entertainment facility don't go together.

As far as 'policy' goes, I'm sure everyone has had an encounter where 'policy' has been made up on the spot. I'd have demanded to see such 'policy', and highly suggest that it be posted for all to see.