• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Centerline picnic

PDinDetroit

imported post

No one coming to the Picnic should carry a knife - please see the following:

Sec. 46-266. Possession, carrying knives prohibited.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to have in his possession or control, except in his own domicile, or carry or use in any manner any knife, dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto or any other sharp edged or pointed instrument or weapon, provided, however, that such person shall not be in violation of this section if his possession of such knife, dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto or any other sharp edged or pointed instrument is necessary for his employment, trade or occupation or if he is engaged in or is proceeding to or returning from a place of hunting, trapping or fishing and, whenever required, is also carrying a currently valid license issued to him by the state department of conservation or if such person is a duly enrolled member of the Boy Scouts of America or a similar organization or society and such possession is necessary to participate in the activities of such organization or society or if such knife, dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto or any other sharp edged or pointed instrument is required under circumstances that tend to establish that its possession is for a lawful purpose not, however, to include self defense or amusement.

(b) Public safety officers shall be exempt from these provisions.
http://library1.municode.com:80/default-test/template.htm?view=browse&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=tocid&doc_key=1d23f8dd5c36a41682958ab911baa621&infobase=10518

Michigander

imported post

or if such person is a duly enrolled member of the Boy Scouts of America or a similar organization or society and such possession is necessary to participate in the activities of such organization or society or if such knife, dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto or any other sharp edged or pointed instrument is required under circumstances that tend to establish that its possession is for a lawful purpose not, however, to include self defense or amusement.

I'm a MOC member, and in a picnic it is required of me to be able to cut watermelon and veggies and such. So in this instance we should be good to go with meat cleavers and such if they're needed to cut food.

In warren I was a bit paranoid and just brought my leatherman to cut up salad since it's well under 3", but in this case it clearly exempts lawful purposes, other than the one protected by the state constitution.

By the way, we seriously need to lobby our law makers to do a knife preemption law. Pepper spray and batons would be nice options too, but seriously, not being able to have a knife at all times is ******* lame. The cities are out of line for these unconstitutional laws, and the state is out of line for allowing them to stand.

PDinDetroit

imported post

I was thinking about ones carried for self-protection, as some of us do carry these. I just picked up the following at the KMART Going Out Of Business Sale (15 & Main/Livernois): http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=264802

I agree with the need for a knife preemption law as well. I simply drive to another city while carrying a knife and I am violating the law? PULEEEZZZEEE!

I have been researching knife laws lately since I have children over 16 but under 18 that I want to have some sort of protection when they are "out and about". It appears that there are laws preventing sales to minors (under 18), but do not limit possession unless on school grounds.

malignity

imported post

Ugh. Right around the corner, and on my off weekend, and I won't be able to make it. :banghead:

Renaissance festival calls.... and you guys know me and my renn fest. Gotta dress up and be a pirate before it ends.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Hmmm, I might be able to make this one.....lol, I'll be there!

I'M BRINGING SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONS!

Also I expect dirt cake to be flowing, thanks!

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

There will be another get together in Warren on Sunday the 11th. There is also something a little bigger in the works but I'll post that when all the details are in order. For now keep the 11th in mind I'll start a new thread for it in a day or so.

mikestilly

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:

What no cut cups like before????????? No need for spoons as long as someone has cups and a leatherman. LOL!!

We will be there... Please let me know if there is anything we can bring to help out? Hmmm damn i want her to make some more brownies.

Mike

Radioman

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:

:celebrate WOOO HOOOO Cykes is bringing the MOC Engineered Spoons. Awesome. Might have to make the picnic just for that reason.

But wait, would carrying a knife to the picnic for the purpose of making the spoons be a lawful purpose?

Something to think about for all of the knife carriers coming to the picnic.

Oh drat. I forgot to post pics of ShaBoom in the Warren thread. Have to go find some now.

Radioman

Radioman

imported post

OK. For all of you at the Warren Picnic that were doubting the flame thrower car that I was talking about while discussing the Jacuzzi Bus with flamethrower go check out this link.

http://www.shboomm.com/

Its something to see in person. Very cool. I'll see about having a few pics on my laptop if I make this picnic that I took with the two cars together but finding their webpage was the faster way to post tonight.

Radioman

mikestilly

imported post

Looking forward to this picnic. Are other Warren events scheduled? Wonder what that "big" event is. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Can someone throw the next Warren one on the event thread please? :D I'm trying to block out next month before my schedule gets too crazy. I'm sure others are doing the same.