• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fiancée Gets Protective Order, Carry License, Then Shot To Death

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Amanda Rosswas taking the right steps. But not quickly enough to do any good against Nunn.

If only she had had enough time toprepare to save her own life. That's probably the biggest lesson in thiscase--time....the amount of timeone thinks they have.....is just a guess.

I hope Citizen doesn't blame thiswoman for nottaking sufficient effort to defend herself, like he did with the Collier PA shooting victims:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=29463

Ex-state Rep. Nunn charged with murder
Warrants served while he's in Hart County jail
By Ryan Alessi, Bill Estep and Karla Ward

MUNFORDVILLE — Lexington police have obtained an arrest warrant charging former state Rep. Steve Nunn with murder in the slaying of his former fiancée, Amanda Ross.

Nunn, 56, also was charged with violation of a protective order. The warrants have been served to Nunn, who is being held in the Hart County jail, police said.

Nunn, the son of former Gov. Louie B. Nunn, had been in The Medical Center at Bowling Green since Friday, when police found him in a Hart County cemetery with his wrists slit just hours after Ross was shot to death in Lexington.

Lexington police had said Nunn was someone they wanted to question in Ross's death, but they had not named him as a suspect.

As to the timing of the charges, Lexington police spokesman Lt. Doug Pape said, "We simply applied charges when we thought we had probable cause."

Dale Emmons, a close friend of the Ross family, said he was not surprised by the murder charges filed against Nunn.

"As soon as we heard the news, we all arrived at the same conclusion: that we thought that he had something to do with it," he said.

Emmons said he was surprised that the murder charge had "come this quickly."

Emmons said Monday night that Ross's family was focused on remembering her life and that there will be plenty of time in the weeks and months to come for discussion of the criminal case.

"We celebrate who Amanda was and what she did," he said.

Visitation for Ross is 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at The Carrick House; her funeral will be Wednesday.

Lexington police obtained the warrants late Monday evening — a few hours after Vice-Chief Regional District Judge Derek Reed had set Nunn's bond at $57,000 on six charges of wanton endangerment of a police officer in Hart County for allegedly firing a gun near police officers.

Nunn was taken to the Hart County Jail by Kentucky State Police shortly before 10:30 a.m. CDT Monday after spending the weekend in the hospital. He was scheduled to be back in court in Hart County at 11 a.m. next Monday for an arraignment.

Attorney Astrida Lemkins, who said she will be representing Nunn, initially thought Nunn would have been released Tuesday morning. That was before the murder charge was filed.

Lemkins said Nunn's bond for the wanton endangerment charges was high. "I've never heard anything so high, especially for something so questionable," and said the judge is "off the wall."

Pape said the courts will determine when Nunn will be transferred to Lexington.

Right after Ross' slaying, Lexington police said Nunn was "a person we would like to talk to."

According to court documents, when officers arrived at the Hart County cemetery, where Nunn's parents are buried, they saw Nunn with a handgun. They asked him to put down the gun, but it was fired in the area where the officers were standing. Nunn went to the ground along with the gun, documents say. Nunn was then taken to The Medical Center.

That Friday, at 6:36 a.m., Ross, 29, was found lying in the back corner of the parking lot at Opera House Square Townhomes, 541 West Short Street. She died later that morning at University of Kentucky Medical Center.

Lexington police notified other agencies to look for Nunn because he and Ross had had a tumultuous relationship that prompted a judge to grant Ross a domestic violence order against Nunn earlier this year.

Nunn entered an Alford plea — he admitted no guilt but acknowledged there was enough evidence to produce a guilty verdict — on Aug. 3 in Fayette County to a misdemeanor domestic violence assault charge.

On Monday, Emmons said Ross also got a license to carry a gun to protect herself after she obtained the protective order.

"Amanda used everything she could in the legal system to protect herself from a predator who was lying in wait for her, but nothing worked," Emmons said.

"She took proper training for it and got instructions on self-defense with a weapon," he said. "She was so scared, and she took steps to protect herself.

http://www.kentucky.com/latest_news/story/935131.html

TheMrMitch

imported post

Although she KNEW....apathy and uncertainty of the people around her, and her self to a certain extent,with the 'Wait and see' attitudes contributed a lot to this death.:cuss:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

According to court documents, when officers arrived at the Hart County cemetery, where Nunn's parents are buried, they saw Nunn with a handgun. They asked him to put down the gun, but it was fired in the area where the officers were standing.

As soon as this azzclown POINTED the weapon anywhere NEAR LEOs, he should have caught SEVERAL rounds in the "10 Ring"... WTF is THIS HAPPYHORSECHIT????

and then AGAIN... As soon as his weapon went off, he should have been WELL VENTILATED!!!

If this had been Joe Citizen, he'd have been as dead as everyone else in that cemetary!!!!

THIS IS THE BIGGEST CROCK OF CHIT I'VE EVER HEARD OF...

Well, maybe not... Ed Kennedy should have rotted in JAIL instead of going to the Senate and Dar Kommisar should still be an ACORN organizer and under indictment right now instead of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave...

:X:cuss::banghead:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
SNIP WTF is THIS HAPPYHORSE...?

I think you've started to fall for Hank's tactic of posting news stories just to start arguments so he can sit back and enjoy.

You have to wonder why he posted this. There is no particuar self-defense angle, except that she took steps in preparation. Otherwise, its a murder.

There is lots of missing information. The best kind of story to prompt arguments. Just the kind of thing that fits Hank's style.

The story doesn't say she was murdered with a gun.

The story doesn't say the guy fired at the cops. We all know that if he had fired at the cops, the charges would probably look more like attempted capital murder. Maybe he was attempting a suicide and was interrupted by the police.There just isn't enough info.

Anyway, it looks like Hank-bait to me. Just something to get a rise out of people and see if he can get an argument started.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

You're quite correct, Brother Citizen. Bang! ya got me, Brother... I fell for the HankBait. I guess I was bored.

Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Flockin Culpa!

;)

Kancho

imported post

Wonder how far the gun-grabbers will run with this because he is a White Republican. I don't mean to get the discussion off-topic, but you know they will just add this to the 'teabagger' tag and ignore all reason from our side.

inbox485

imported post

This is unfortunate. Even in CA of all places, there is an automatic exemption from concealed carry and loaded carry laws if you have a restraining order resulting from threats of violence.