Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Pistol Brand In Terms Of Durability

Post imported post

If you had to list the top 3 brands in terms of reliability (both long term, and in horrid conditions) what would they be? Personally, I think its

Glock
    Springfield
    Sig-Sauer

Trent

Post imported post

You can't forget Revolvers!!!,How about Ruger and S&W,Colt would be a third IMHO because of serious timing issues in the past.

If I could only own one handgun,it would be a S&W 629.

Post imported post

Semi-Autos:
    Springfield XDs
    Glock
    Sig

Shotguns:
    Tie between Remmy 870s and Mossy 500s

Rifles:
    Most Bolt Actions
    AKs
    M1 Garands

Post imported post

Sig

who cares about 2nd or 3rd best?

Post imported post

Smith and Wesson. Autos Jam.

Rifles. Scout Rifles/M1A's (Garands if you fought in the "Big One")

Shotguns: What's a shotgun?

Post imported post

S&W .357
    Kimber 1911 .45 (7 years and never had a misfire or a jam)
    And I hate to say it...lol Glock

Post imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
    Sig

I like you.

Post imported post

I would say

1) RUGER

2) ISRAELI MILITARY INDUSTRIES

3) IZHMASH

* Granted Ruger is not military, if you can imagine what Ruger would create if tasked with developing a modern rifle for the US Military.

~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

Glocks are the honda accords of handguns. Plentiful, inexpensive, reliable, uninspired, boring, and like a belly button......(almost) everybody has one.

Don't get me wrong, they are a fabulous gun, but most would agree that if you walked out into your garage and contemplated driving your honda accord, or your porsche 911 (read 1911)that day,there really is no contest.
    If you have to fight, do not fear death. We will all die one day, so fight skillfully and bravely! And if it is to be that you die, then at least go to God proudly. Meet him as the proud warrior that you are, and not as a sniveling coward. Nobody lives forever.

Post imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
    Glocks are the honda accords of handguns. Plentiful, inexpensive, reliable, uninspired, boring, and like a belly button......(almost) everybody has one.

Don't get me wrong, they are a fabulous gun, but most would agree that if you walked out into your garage and contemplated driving your honda accord, or your porsche 911 (read 1911)that day,there really is no contest.
    I have a problem with the 1911 = Porsche... 1911 seems more like American Muscle to me Perhaps a nice older Mustang.

Post imported post

I have a Springfield XD9 Sub-Compact, over 3,000 rounds no FTF or FTE's

Springfield XD torture test.
    http://springfield-armory.primediaou.../SPstory11.php

My girlfriend has a Kimber 1911 Pro-Carry in 9mm it has had a few feeding problems, we are hoping w/ more use it will smooth it up.

Post imported post

Batousaii wrote:
    I would say

1) RUGER

3) IZHMASH

* Granted Ruger is not military, if you can imagine what Ruger would create if tasked with developing a modern rifle for the US Military.

Google Ruger SR556. Pricey but very niiiice
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Post imported post

Batousaii wrote:
    I would say

1) RUGER

3) IZHMASH

Did you read the question?

Post imported post

ummmm the beretta 92fs is pretty freakin durable auto....though i am a little biased. but you cant argue with 1:17,500 malfunction ratio. and these numbers are with the hot NATO 9mm round....with standard pressure civilian rounds these things are nothing but reliable. with proper cleaning and maintenance, these pistols will outlast you. sorry fan boys, but thats not going to happen with a glock or 1911 (stovepipes and jam-o-matics) and until you can provide numbers, you cant complain about it. i know, theres videos of some moron burying his glcok and then firing it, or shooting it under water, but honestly who gives a crap, as i dont target shoot under water or let my dog use my gun as a toy to bury in the back yard remember, the military went with the M9 because it beat everyone elses guns in the "torture tests" also

from wikipedia
    During this same time and in years since, the U.S. Army conducted durability testing of M9 pistols at Aberdeen Proving Ground. These tests revealed an average life of the M9 frame at around 35,000 rounds, of the M9 locking block at around 22,000 rounds, and of the M9 slide at around 75,000 rounds, all well in excess of the contractually-required service life of 5,000 rounds for the pistol. In addition, Government-witnessed tests of the M9 pistol at the Beretta U.S.A. facility resulted in average reliability of the pistol at one malfunction every 17,500 rounds.

Post imported post

EAA Witness 9mm, i have fired over 1000 rounds through it, it's actually very accurate as well.. and it's never ever let me down and it's fairly cheap and not so heavy

Post imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
    Sig

+1 on the Sig. I've shot well over 20,000 rounds through my P-229 since I've owned it and not a single failure. Everything is nice and snug and feels like it can go another 20k without a visit to the "hospital". I've been thinking that when I reach the 50k mark (I shoot about 300 rounds per week so that will be in another 2 years or so) I will send it back to Sig for a complete refurbish. Til then I'll just keep shooting, cleaning, lubing, and carrying this nice reliable piece.

Don't own any of the others so I can't add or detract to/from their legend but I can say that Sig is one of the best. Costs more but quality usually does.

PS Trent,

I would also like to nominate CZ 75's to the list. Heavier (all steel vs steel/alloy) but they are "shootin fools".
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Post imported post

Batousaii wrote:
    I would say

1) RUGER

3) IZHMASH

Off topic here,but,check the history of the Mini-14,it was developed originally to compete for a military contract,it lost to the AR-15.

Post imported post

steble01 wrote:
    ummmm the beretta 92fs is pretty freakin durable auto....though i am a little biased. but you cant argue with 1:17,500 malfunction ratio. and these numbers are with the hot NATO 9mm round....with standard pressure civilian rounds these things are nothing but reliable. with proper cleaning and maintenance, these pistols will outlast you. sorry fan boys, but thats not going to happen with a glock or 1911 (stovepipes and jam-o-matics) and until you can provide numbers, you cant complain about it. i know, theres videos of some moron burying his glcok and then firing it, or shooting it under water, but honestly who gives a crap, as i dont target shoot under water or let my dog use my gun as a toy to bury in the back yard remember, the military went with the M9 because it beat everyone elses guns in the "torture tests" also

from wikipedia
    During this same time and in years since, the U.S. Army conducted durability testing of M9 pistols at Aberdeen Proving Ground. These tests revealed an average life of the M9 frame at around 35,000 rounds, of the M9 locking block at around 22,000 rounds, and of the M9 slide at around 75,000 rounds, all well in excess of the contractually-required service life of 5,000 rounds for the pistol. In addition, Government-witnessed tests of the M9 pistol at the Beretta U.S.A. facility resulted in average reliability of the pistol at one malfunction every 17,500 rounds.
    Not sure ,I believe the 92F is the M9,isn't the 92FS known as the M10? I do know the FS has an improvement in the locking block

Post imported post

SANDRAT wrote:
    steble01 wrote:

from wikipedia
    Not sure ,I believe the 92F is the M9,isn't the 92FS known as the M10? I do know the FS has an improvement in the locking block
    Essentially yes the M9 is a 92FS, the 92FS has a fluted polymer guide rod as opposed to a metal one, and some M9's have the two-dot line sight picture, whereas the 92FS has a three-dot. May be other differences but these are the ones I know atm.

Oh, and ... Home defense and on those occasions I do decide to open carry is a Beretta 92FS, CC is a Taurus PT145.

And my tried and true combat friend is an AR-15, a Bushmaster M4A3 to be exact. I'd bet my life on that weapon.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -John Stuart Mill

Post imported post

pretty close.....the m9 is essentially a 92fs though some of the very early models were infact based on the 92f model differences are listed below

1. The M9 usually has a straight dustcover and non-radiused backstrap (Contract Pistols will always be straight/straight)

2. The 92FS (recent model) has a radiused backstrap and angled dustcover. Older FS models had a straight dustcover

3. M9 markings (including proof markings and cage # markings)

4. M9 lacks the warning to read owner's manual

5. The rear sight of the 92FS has 2 dots, whereas the M9 has a single half-moon

the only difference between the f and fs models was an enlarged hammer pin head and a subsequent slot milled into the bottom of the slide to accept the larger pin. this was done as a result of very early military testing of the M9 with high pressure ammo. after a while they had some slide breakage (because of the hot ammo) and the fs mod was done to keep the slide from flying off the frame into the shooter during a catastrophic failure. like i previously mentioned, if you use standard pressure ammo, you will never have to worry about eating a slide for lunch.

there are currently 4 generations of locking blocks, improvements one after the other in an effort to extend the life of the locking block. they were not model specific (F or FS) though. IIRC all generations are interchangable

*edit* here is a good video describing the whole M9 vs. 92FS thing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRJgBqaDOzs

Post imported post

As far as reliability/durability in the short term and in the long run, a GLOCK, Sig or HKin 9mm is going to be a very difficult weapon to beat. Not to rain on anyones parade, as I know a lot of people like the XD,but I have personally seen an XD rusted shut, so I don't really go for them.

Post imported post

That must have been a very early production run XD before they changed finishes. The current XD finish is the exact same one as Glock has, same manufacturer but different name. I abuse my XD45 and not a spot of rust on it after nearly 3 years. I have personally seen a Glock nearly take of a guy's hand while shooting factory ammo. I will never buy one because of that.

ETA, I have also seen a Glock rusted shut. I still want one. Sometimes the Glock folklore and fanboys get annoying as hell. I prefer my Kimber to both of them. Polymer has no soul.

Post imported post

Johnny Law wrote:

How true. I've carried a Kimber 1911 for years. But, recently I've started carrying a wheel gun. Great feel, can't jam (that's not to say that my Kimber ever jammed). Why? I don't know. Maybe because I respect what Wheelgunnerhas to say. Plus, it looks good when I'm wearing my Stetson, which is most of the time.

Post imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
    Batousaii wrote:
    I would say

1) RUGER

3) IZHMASH

Did you read the question?
    OP wrote: "If you had to list the top 3 brands in terms of reliability "

:?Misguided Child, no need to be rude please... I will however agree with you that Sig is a very nice gun, has a history with us government contracts as a testament to it's reliability.

j2l3, RE: SR556: Does look pretty nice, interesting to see them using the gas piston system rather than the dirty pipe... a great improvement indeed.

SANDRAT- RE: Mini 14 History: Yes, your 100% correct in reference to the AC556. From what i understand it saw very limited use in military, and was later adopted by some police units... Very good info and TY.

~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast