• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best Pistol Brand In Terms Of Durability

Trent

imported post

If you had to list the top 3 brands in terms of reliability (both long term, and in horrid conditions) what would they be? Personally, I think its

Glock
Springfield
Sig-Sauer

Trent

Batousaii

imported post

I would say

1) RUGER

2) ISRAELI MILITARY INDUSTRIES

3) IZHMASH

* Granted Ruger is not military, if you can imagine what Ruger would create if tasked with developing a modern rifle for the US Military.

Johnny Law

imported post

Glocks are the honda accords of handguns. Plentiful, inexpensive, reliable, uninspired, boring, and like a belly button......(almost) everybody has one.

Don't get me wrong, they are a fabulous gun, but most would agree that if you walked out into your garage and contemplated driving your honda accord, or your porsche 911 (read 1911)that day,there really is no contest.

David.Car

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
Glocks are the honda accords of handguns. Plentiful, inexpensive, reliable, uninspired, boring, and like a belly button......(almost) everybody has one.

Don't get me wrong, they are a fabulous gun, but most would agree that if you walked out into your garage and contemplated driving your honda accord, or your porsche 911 (read 1911)that day,there really is no contest.
I have a problem with the 1911 = Porsche... 1911 seems more like American Muscle to me :) Perhaps a nice older Mustang.

j2l3

imported post

Batousaii wrote:
I would say

1) RUGER

3) IZHMASH

* Granted Ruger is not military, if you can imagine what Ruger would create if tasked with developing a modern rifle for the US Military.
Google Ruger SR556. Pricey but very niiiice

Misguided Child

imported post

Batousaii wrote:
I would say

1) RUGER

3) IZHMASH

Did you read the question?

steble01

imported post

ummmm the beretta 92fs is pretty freakin durable auto....though i am a little biased. but you cant argue with 1:17,500 malfunction ratio. and these numbers are with the hot NATO 9mm round....with standard pressure civilian rounds these things are nothing but reliable. with proper cleaning and maintenance, these pistols will outlast you. sorry fan boys, but thats not going to happen with a glock or 1911 (stovepipes and jam-o-matics) and until you can provide numbers, you cant complain about it. i know, theres videos of some moron burying his glcok and then firing it, or shooting it under water, but honestly who gives a crap, as i dont target shoot under water or let my dog use my gun as a toy to bury in the back yard;) remember, the military went with the M9 because it beat everyone elses guns in the "torture tests" also

from wikipedia
During this same time and in years since, the U.S. Army conducted durability testing of M9 pistols at Aberdeen Proving Ground. These tests revealed an average life of the M9 frame at around 35,000 rounds, of the M9 locking block at around 22,000 rounds, and of the M9 slide at around 75,000 rounds, all well in excess of the contractually-required service life of 5,000 rounds for the pistol. In addition, Government-witnessed tests of the M9 pistol at the Beretta U.S.A. facility resulted in average reliability of the pistol at one malfunction every 17,500 rounds.

Creaxe

imported post

EAA Witness 9mm, i have fired over 1000 rounds through it, it's actually very accurate as well.. and it's never ever let me down :)and it's fairly cheap and not so heavy

amlevin

imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
Sig

who cares about 2nd or 3rd best?

+1 on the Sig. I've shot well over 20,000 rounds through my P-229 since I've owned it and not a single failure. Everything is nice and snug and feels like it can go another 20k without a visit to the "hospital". I've been thinking that when I reach the 50k mark (I shoot about 300 rounds per week so that will be in another 2 years or so) I will send it back to Sig for a complete refurbish. Til then I'll just keep shooting, cleaning, lubing, and carrying this nice reliable piece.

Don't own any of the others so I can't add or detract to/from their legend but I can say that Sig is one of the best. Costs more but quality usually does.

PS Trent,

I would also like to nominate CZ 75's to the list. Heavier (all steel vs steel/alloy) but they are "shootin fools".

SANDRAT

imported post

Batousaii wrote:
I would say

1) RUGER

3) IZHMASH

Off topic here,but,check the history of the Mini-14,it was developed originally to compete for a military contract,it lost to the AR-15.

SANDRAT

imported post

steble01 wrote:
ummmm the beretta 92fs is pretty freakin durable auto....though i am a little biased. but you cant argue with 1:17,500 malfunction ratio. and these numbers are with the hot NATO 9mm round....with standard pressure civilian rounds these things are nothing but reliable. with proper cleaning and maintenance, these pistols will outlast you. sorry fan boys, but thats not going to happen with a glock or 1911 (stovepipes and jam-o-matics) and until you can provide numbers, you cant complain about it. i know, theres videos of some moron burying his glcok and then firing it, or shooting it under water, but honestly who gives a crap, as i dont target shoot under water or let my dog use my gun as a toy to bury in the back yard;) remember, the military went with the M9 because it beat everyone elses guns in the "torture tests" also

from wikipedia
During this same time and in years since, the U.S. Army conducted durability testing of M9 pistols at Aberdeen Proving Ground. These tests revealed an average life of the M9 frame at around 35,000 rounds, of the M9 locking block at around 22,000 rounds, and of the M9 slide at around 75,000 rounds, all well in excess of the contractually-required service life of 5,000 rounds for the pistol. In addition, Government-witnessed tests of the M9 pistol at the Beretta U.S.A. facility resulted in average reliability of the pistol at one malfunction every 17,500 rounds.
Not sure ,I believe the 92F is the M9,isn't the 92FS known as the M10? I do know the FS has an improvement in the locking block

killchain

imported post

SANDRAT wrote:
steble01 wrote:

from wikipedia
Not sure ,I believe the 92F is the M9,isn't the 92FS known as the M10? I do know the FS has an improvement in the locking block
Essentially yes the M9 is a 92FS, the 92FS has a fluted polymer guide rod as opposed to a metal one, and some M9's have the two-dot line sight picture, whereas the 92FS has a three-dot. May be other differences but these are the ones I know atm.

Oh, and ... Home defense and on those occasions I do decide to open carry is a Beretta 92FS, CC is a Taurus PT145.

And my tried and true combat friend is an AR-15, a Bushmaster M4A3 to be exact. I'd bet my life on that weapon.