• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best Pistol Brand In Terms Of Durability

steble01

imported post

pretty close.....the m9 is essentially a 92fs though some of the very early models were infact based on the 92f model differences are listed below

1. The M9 usually has a straight dustcover and non-radiused backstrap (Contract Pistols will always be straight/straight)

2. The 92FS (recent model) has a radiused backstrap and angled dustcover. Older FS models had a straight dustcover

3. M9 markings (including proof markings and cage # markings)

4. M9 lacks the warning to read owner's manual

5. The rear sight of the 92FS has 2 dots, whereas the M9 has a single half-moon

the only difference between the f and fs models was an enlarged hammer pin head and a subsequent slot milled into the bottom of the slide to accept the larger pin. this was done as a result of very early military testing of the M9 with high pressure ammo. after a while they had some slide breakage (because of the hot ammo) and the fs mod was done to keep the slide from flying off the frame into the shooter during a catastrophic failure. like i previously mentioned, if you use standard pressure ammo, you will never have to worry about eating a slide for lunch.:)

there are currently 4 generations of locking blocks, improvements one after the other in an effort to extend the life of the locking block. they were not model specific (F or FS) though. IIRC all generations are interchangable

*edit* here is a good video describing the whole M9 vs. 92FS thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRJgBqaDOzs

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

As far as reliability/durability in the short term and in the long run, a GLOCK, Sig or HKin 9mm is going to be a very difficult weapon to beat. Not to rain on anyones parade, as I know a lot of people like the XD,but I have personally seen an XD rusted shut, so I don't really go for them.

Vandal

imported post

That must have been a very early production run XD before they changed finishes. The current XD finish is the exact same one as Glock has, same manufacturer but different name. I abuse my XD45 and not a spot of rust on it after nearly 3 years. I have personally seen a Glock nearly take of a guy's hand while shooting factory ammo. I will never buy one because of that.

ETA, I have also seen a Glock rusted shut. I still want one. Sometimes the Glock folklore and fanboys get annoying as hell. I prefer my Kimber to both of them. Polymer has no soul.

Ajetpilot

imported post

Johnny Law wrote:
Glocks are the honda accords of handguns. Plentiful, inexpensive, reliable, uninspired, boring, and like a belly button......(almost) everybody has one.

Don't get me wrong, they are a fabulous gun, but most would agree that if you walked out into your garage and contemplated driving your honda accord, or your porsche 911 (read 1911)that day,there really is no contest.
How true. I've carried a Kimber 1911 for years. But, recently I've started carrying a wheel gun. Great feel, can't jam (that's not to say that my Kimber ever jammed). Why? I don't know. Maybe because I respect what Wheelgunnerhas to say. Plus, it looks good when I'm wearing my Stetson, which is most of the time.

Batousaii

imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
Batousaii wrote:
I would say

1) RUGER

2) ISRAELI MILITARY INDUSTRIES

3) IZHMASH

* Granted Ruger is not military, if you can imagine what Ruger would create if tasked with developing a modern rifle for the US Military.

Did you read the question?
OP wrote: "If you had to list the top 3 brands in terms of reliability "

:?Misguided Child, no need to be rude please... I will however agree with you that Sig is a very nice gun, has a history with us government contracts as a testament to it's reliability.

:)j2l3, RE: SR556: Does look pretty nice, interesting to see them using the gas piston system rather than the dirty pipe... a great improvement indeed.

:)SANDRAT- RE: Mini 14 History: Yes, your 100% correct in reference to the AC556. From what i understand it saw very limited use in military, and was later adopted by some police units... Very good info and TY.

DEROS72

imported post

It is in my mind one of the best on the market.Shoots straight and is very reliable.Best .45 I have ever fired .I will never get rid of this one.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Vandal wrote:
That must have been a very early production run XD before they changed finishes. The current XD finish is the exact same one as Glock has, same manufacturer but different name. I abuse my XD45 and not a spot of rust on it after nearly 3 years. I have personally seen a Glock nearly take of a guy's hand while shooting factory ammo. I will never buy one because of that.

ETA, I have also seen a Glock rusted shut. I still want one. Sometimes the Glock folklore and fanboys get annoying as hell. I prefer my Kimber to both of them. Polymer has no soul.

So, the current XD's have the SAME finish as the GLOCKs, and since you've seen a GLOCK rusted shut, there's no way it could have been a current model XD, must have been a "very early production run XD"??? Huh?

Glocks are meant to be used with factory, jacketed ammo ONLY. When you stray from those guidelines, you may encounter problems. So stick with what they designed the gun to use.

You'll "never buy one because of that." then "I still want one."The anti-glock fanboys get annoying as hell, too. Especially when they're not consistent.

The OP was asking about durability, not "soul." FWIW, I carry a Kimber Pro Carry II or Kahr K9 Elite '03, and my house gun is an HK USP40. But a GLOCK or Sig in 9mm is going to be more durable than any of my options, but the difference is negligible based upon my usage parameters.

DEROS72

imported post

In addition to My witness .45 I also carry a Bersa Thunder .380 in an ankle holster for back up.

G27

imported post

With today's industry standards and quality control you'd be hard pressed to find a "bad" gun on the shelve of any reputable gun dealer. Glocks, Sigs, and the like are all machines and as such can fail at any given time. To minimize this a responsible owner does maintenance and cleaning to ensure a failure doesnt happen. That being said I have never had a malfunction with either my Glock or Sig that wasn't my fault.

Batousaii

imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
Actually Bat, the op said "Best Pistol Brand In Terms Of Durability".
Which fine Izhmash pistol were you thinking of?

Makarov for starters, the infamous silenced PM69, or the izhmash 1130 prototype perhaps. .... But mostly was thinking of the old Makarov.

People usually think AK-47 with that name, but fact is, that company makes almost everything, including cutlery. Founded in the early 1800's they have hence since been one of Russia's industry leaders and many of their lesser known firearms have vanished into obscurity. However, some of their endeavours have become staples for that countries military. Examples would be producing around 1.5 million rifles (and other various weapons) during WW-I, bolstering to 11 Million during WW-II. Their weapons department had supported com block countries for many years, and has manufactured many rifles and pistols alike.

:pBat

SigPacker

imported post

I call my S&W Scandium .357 magnum - american express cause I never leave home without it, my OC gun is a 2 tone Sig 229 .357 SiG... :)

Both #1 in terms of reliability.

SP

MadHatter66

imported post

Sig is my #1 choice...Reliable as hell, and will shoot about anything you can feed it. I have shot Ranger SXT's, Federal Hydra-shok...come to think of it I cannot think of an ammo type I haven't used in it... I have a mid 90's P229 in .40 that I picked up for a song ($400) with a ton of upgrades included. I also like that its small enough to conceal easily when I need to, but still offers a long enough barrel to not compromise accuracy to much. It can also handle a limp-wrist without any issue too... I limp-wristed about 2 mags, and had my wife do the same, cycled every time.

Shot the 92, or M9 in the military, and hated the thing so much I wanted to throw it overboard. Maybe they are better now, but I never went to the range and shot though a course of fire without a stove pipe, FTF, mag dropping randomly... Based on that experience I would never trust my life on a 92...but that is just what I have witnessed...

The 1911 is an amazing firearm as well. I still shoot a vintage 1944 Remington Rand 1911. Still solid as the day it came off the line, so for a pistol to be 65 years old, and still be working that well has to speak to the reliability...

David.Car

imported post

Carry a P226 in 9mm. Carries 18+1 with a flush fit mag.

1000's of rounds down range never had any failure of any kind.

I trust it with my life and the life of my loved ones with out a worry.

Although once night time rolls around it goes in the safe and Mr. Rem870 takes over next to the bed.

VictorEM83

imported post

I want to Expand on G27's point I have been shooting a limited number of times but a large number of factors play into jams. When I shoot very dirty reloads on my XD 45 I will get a few jams when shooting clean reloads, +P rounds, and factory loads I have no issues. I feel every gun needs proper maintenance to prevent jams. I feel a poorly maintained gun is going to jam sooner and more often that a well maintained one. So doing your part to keep your gun clean, oiled, and properly taken care of matters more that the gun itself anymore.

David.Car

imported post

VictorEM83 wrote:
I want to Expand on G27's point I have been shooting a limited number of times but a large number of factors play into jams. When I shoot very dirty reloads on my XD 45 I will get a few jams when shooting clean reloads, +P rounds, and factory loads I have no issues. I feel every gun needs proper maintenance to prevent jams. I feel a poorly maintained gun is going to jam sooner and more often that a well maintained one. So doing your part to keep your gun clean, oiled, and properly taken care of matters more that the gun itself anymore.

Anyone who carries a firearm that they don't personally clean and maintain probably needs to go back to step 1 and start learning about safety and responsibility first.

And to the people who say their firearm is so great it can shoot over a 1,000 rounds without cleaning and it will keep going no matter what... That MIGHT be true, but why risk your life on that might? Clean, Lube, Stay aware.

Wheelgunner

imported post

I am blushing pink. Thank you AJetPilot!

My son, Perry says Hi!. Still obsessed with flying. Kind you you to give him the encouragement you did.

I owe you one.