• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun show, FTF

captainbunch

imported post

Can a 20 year old purchase a modern handgun at a gun show? I see that the gun show in Kenner is coming up this weekend, and it got me thinking. Also, could someone explain to me exactly what a FTF buy is. Who would be a reputable unlicensed dealer to buy from?

I'm carrying a BP revolver right now, and although it could certainly do damage to an attacker, a more modern option is probably best. Plus, it's difficult finding an indoor range that will accept a BP gun.

Thanks all.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

captainbunch wrote:
Can a 20 year old purchase a modern handgun at a gun show? I see that the gun show in Kenner is coming up this weekend, and it got me thinking. Also, could someone explain to me exactly what a FTF buy is. Who would be a reputable unlicensed dealer to buy from?

I'm carrying a BP revolver right now, and although it could certainly do damage to an attacker, a more modern option is probably best. Plus, it's difficult finding an indoor range that will accept a BP gun.

At 20 years of age, I think you can buy a modern handgun from a private seller in a FaceToFace sale--at a gun show or elsewhere.

But a licensed dealer cannot sell one to you. Gotta be 21.

With regard to a private seller, be prepared for reluctance to sell to a person under 21. Some think it's illegal (it's not), some just shy away from doing it based on perceived risk. I'm among the latter. Except for a couple of circumstances, I wouldn't sell a gun to someone under 21. I think of examples like anty506 and others and I just wouldn't do it.....

Good luck in your quest.

captainbunch

imported post

Oscarr wrote:
Last I checked, Anty's actions only represent himself, not all under 21s. I'd have no problem selling to you captainbunch. Best of luck in your search!

Thank you all very much! I will definitely check out that website.

As far as age, I know of quite a few people over 21 who are addicted to alcohol and drugs, and many people under 21 who have never touched either one. It all depends on the person.

georg jetson

imported post

I'm a new member and this is my first post on this forum... I'm an engineer by trade and study law as a hobby. I've been OCing off and on since 1993 and did so at 2 U-Haul locations in SLidell today with no problems.

The law regarding your question...

[align=justify]RS 14:95.8 says you can posses at seventeen...
[/align][align=justify]§95.8. Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile[/align] [align=justify]A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile.[/align]

There is no state statute relevant to the age of a purchaser that I can find.

Federal law prohibits dealer sales of hanguns to persons under 21 but allows an exception for "Unlicensed" persons to sell to those over the age of 18. I don't have time to find the federal law right now, but I would encourage you to look for your own answers in law and not take the word of others. You'll be amazed what you can learn about the law by actually reading it :)

Try here...
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/