• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Wally World

armyman29340

imported post

I drive a Taxi in a small, VERY dangerous town here...Gaffney. It was early in the morning, at the end of my shift, and I was going into Wal Mart to make my money drop. It was raining and windy. You know how the entrances to these stores are...doory opens, and it almost blows you off your feet, LOL.

As I enteredhe store, the wind from inside caught my overshirt ( wear a pocketed T-shirt with a button up to conceal the Colt 45 Single Action I carry). Anyway, the weapon was FULLY visible for several seconds while I fought to get my shirt tails back under control. The greeter takes one look and stops me, says "You can't bring THAT in here!"

"Why" I ask.

"It's against Wal Mart Policy" She replyed.

I informed here that it was State Law that such a policy be conspicuously posted on all entrances, and it wasn't.

She looked and found it wasn't posted, then asked why would I need a gun in Gaffney. I replied that there were three reasons.

#1. I drive a Taxi.

#2. Gaffney has a higher violent crime rate per capita than any other area in our state, which has one of the highest in the Nation. And...

#3. I was shot in the head in 1994, and have every intention of being able top shoot back next time.

BTW, checked with the store Manager next morning.

She was wrong.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

armyman29340 wrote:
I drive a Taxi in a small, VERY dangerous town here...Gaffney. It was early in the morning, at the end of my shift, and I was going into Wal Mart to make my money drop. It was raining and windy. You know how the entrances to these stores are...doory opens, and it almost blows you off your feet, LOL.

As I enteredhe store, the wind from inside caught my overshirt ( wear a pocketed T-shirt with a button up to conceal the Colt 45 Single Action I carry). Anyway, the weapon was FULLY visible for several seconds while I fought to get my shirt tails back under control. The greeter takes one look and stops me, says "You can't bring THAT in here!"

"Why" I ask.

I informed here that it was State Law that such a policy be conspicuously posted on all entrances, and it wasn't.

She looked and found it wasn't posted, then asked why would I need a gun in Gaffney. I replied that there were three reasons.

#1. I drive a Taxi.

#2. Gaffney has a higher violent crime rate per capita than any other area in our state, which has one of the highest in the Nation. And...

#3. I was shot in the head in 1994, and have every intention of being able top shoot back next time.

I certainly agree with your reasons for carrying a gun. They make perfect sense.

But why are you carrying a Colt Single Action? There are much better guns to carry for self-defense.

armyman29340

imported post

Actually,the .45 Colt SA is the safest and most reliable handgun ever made. Mine has a plate that springs up after being fully cocked so that the weapon fires. Other than from the position of fully cocked, it cannot fire...the hammer doesn't fire the round anymore. Plus, it is easier to use tha most other guns...not complicated at all, with 250 grain, it has almost no kick, but plenty of power, extremelty acurate.

And it's purdy.:D

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

armyman29340 wrote:
Actually,the .45 Colt SA is the safest and most reliable handgun ever made. Mine has a plate that springs up after being fully cocked so that the weapon fires. Other than from the position of fully cocked, it cannot fire...the hammer doesn't fire the round anymore. Plus, it is easier to use tha most other guns...not complicated at all, with 250 grain, it has almost no kick, but plenty of power, extremelty acurate.

And it's purdy.:D

Wel, then. We can agree on sumpin'. They are purdy. :)

I cannot yet envision how they'd be a good self-defense carry gun...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

armyman29340 wrote:

"Why" I ask.

She looked and found it wasn't posted,
Um, so you are open carrying in South Carolina? Where open carry is generally unlawful?

And you are asking the store to post? Huh?

hp-hobo

imported post

Mike wrote:
armyman29340 wrote:

"Why" I ask.

She looked and found it wasn't posted,
Um, so you are open carrying in South Carolina? Where open carry is generally unlawful?

And you are asking the store to post? Huh?

I'd of thought a lawyer would read all the words... And they're not even in fine print.

The wind caught his overshirt that normally covers and therefore conceals his side arm. The shirt blew up and exposed his gun for what was probably a few seconds before he got it back under control. I can translate further if need be.

Have a great day.

P.S. I also live in SC and open carry the majority of the time. Lawfully. A combination of personal lifestyle and written permission from various property and business owners allows me to do so. It's not an ideal situation but it's better than no open carry at all.