• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped in Warren update.

THway

imported post

Venator wrote:
I have a copy of the FOIA receipt and will have it at the Picnic on Sunday. I will take up a collection there to help Ham with costs. MOC will cover the remainder if any.
So does this mean..... that Mr. Ham has in his possession all of the items he did the FOIA on? If so... will these items be at said picnic on sunday? If so... will these items be available to be viewed? If so... i would like to view them:exclaim:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

THway wrote:
Venator wrote:
I have a copy of the FOIA receipt and will have it at the Picnic on Sunday. I will take up a collection there to help Ham with costs. MOC will cover the remainder if any.
So does this mean..... that Mr. Ham has in his possession all of the items he did the FOIA on? YESIf so... will these items be at said picnic on sunday? UNKOWN If so... will these items be available to be viewed? UNKOWN If so... i would like to view them:exclaim:Me too'

Radioman

imported post

I would assume then that you will be at the Downriver picnic Venator. If so I will look you up so long as work doesn't decide to rain on my fun again this weekend.

Radioman

Venator

imported post

Radioman wrote:
I would assume then that you will be at the Downriver picnic Venator. If so I will look you up so long as work doesn't decide to rain on my fun again this weekend.

Radioman
Am planning on it. My wife and I should be there barring any change in plans. May have baked beans to eat and Second Amendment March T-shirts for sale.

Haman J.T.

imported post

THway wrote:
Venator wrote:
So does this mean..... that Mr. Ham has in his possession all of the items he did the FOIA on? If so... will these items be at said picnic on sunday? If so... will these items be available to be viewed? If so... i would like to view them:exclaim:
I am in possession of only the incedent report so far.The clerk said a SGT left a note saying after I paid ,copies of the audio and video would be made,they would notify me when they were ready.Since there were 3 vehicles,I am going to ask where the other video's are.

THway

imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
THway wrote:
Venator wrote:
I am in possession of only the incedent report so far.The clerk said a SGT left a note saying after I paid ,copies of the audio and video would be made,they would notify me when they were ready.Since there were 3 vehicles,I am going to ask where the other video's are.
PLEASE make sure that the audio and video files have not been tampered with...

T Vance

imported post

When I recieved the video from the 3 squad cars for my incident, they were all on the same DVD (so it was only $25 for the video). This video also included the audio from the officers shirt mics, and in car audio (the DVD had a program that you can use to watch the video and switch from listening to their in car audio, or you could listen to their shirt mics).

It also shows when the officer applies the brake to car, turns on the emergency lights, sirens, how fast the patrol car is driving, how fast a "target car" is going when they clock them, and a few other nifty things.

The program they used in mine was called L3 Communications Mobile Vision. Ask them if they use that. Then depending on the amount of video they have, they should be able to put the information of less media, saving you money. For my 3 squad car videos at about 15 minutes for each video, it used up 552MB of data. They put mine on a blank DVD (Not positive, but I think those hold a few GB's - someone correct me), and a blank recordable CD holds 700MB (still enough to all the info from my encounter onto).

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

If need be or if it would be useful...

if all 3 dashcams or any other audio are on the same DVD, if you can get me copies, I would be happy to try and sync them up and panel them so they can be viewed simultaneously.

Let me know if this is needed.

Haman J.T.

imported post

I have an appointment at 6pm on the corner of VanDyke&Martin ,with I believe Michigander and InspectorGadget, to recieve a donation collected for my FOIA. I am appreciative and humbled by the help and would like to thank you on behalf myself and my wife. I do believe this may help my wife to understand what we are doing for the citizens of this state and our nation and all those who understand our right to Life,Liberty and the pursuit of happiness,and the freedoms we are fighting for! Thank You and God Bless! Hamaneggs.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
Went to pick up my FOIA today. The clerk said according to a note from a SGT, I would only be getting an incident report.They would be making a copy of the video and cd after I paid,which caused my wife to lose it because we're almost broke.She is having a real hard time with this.I may post the contents of the report after I talk to Dean.Pray for my wife!God Bless! PS. they didn't lie enough in the report,Hint, Wink Wink!
None of this post is intended to undermine the coordination and wonderful assistance in helping the OPer obtain the records. Its more in the direction of preparation for next time.

Like any other statute, don't take the police's word for it. Here is the Michigan FOIAstatute section that applies:

(2) A public body may require at the time a request is made a good faith deposit from the person requesting the public record or series of public records, if the fee authorized under this section exceeds $50.00. The deposit shall not exceed 1/2 of the total fee.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(kd20alvyhvcppv55wjkgq045))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-15-234

One has to wonder why they released any records without requiring a deposit. The statute clearly authorizesa deposit for aseries of public records. Seems to me this can be used as part of any complaint--that they are trying to stall by changing gears in middle.

Also, don't forget that you are allowed to view the public record. Meaning, if it is ever too expensive, you can always trot over to the FOIA coordinator and view the public record.

Here is the Michigan FOIA statute:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(kd20alvyhvcppv55wjkgq045))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-act-442-of-1976

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There is also a stipulation if you can prove you're poor (no offense) that you can get the fee waived.

Someone with skillz should get a hold of that and just host it on the MOC, I would love to see this or some other videos of how these stops go down.

If the FOIA cost isn't covered yet Venator, just say something and I can paypal some to MOC for it :)

Venator

imported post

I think he's covered for now. The guys and gals at the Wyndotte Picnic were very generous. BTW, I had never been to that city and I found it very quaint, a throw back to bygone days. Kinda reminded me of my home town Traverse City (at least the downtown). Great park too.

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
There is also a stipulation if you can prove you're poor (no offense) that you can get the fee waived.

Someone with skillz should get a hold of that and just host it on the MOC, I would love to see this or some other videos of how these stops go down.

If the FOIA cost isn't covered yet Venator, just say something and I can paypal some to MOC for it :)

I'm poor, I take no offense... can you cite this?

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am a local Housing Commission president and knew I had seen something about the fee being waived in one of my frequent reviews of the act. We deal mainly with the open meetings act, but they are typically presented to the public as one paper. I reread the actual law and the atorney general's synopsis and the first $20 of any fee must be waived if the person requesting it is on welfare or can prove in other ways an inability to pay.

The synopsis of the FOIA can be found athttp://www.michigan.gov/ag/0,1607,7-164-17337_18160-51242--,00.html . The entire act is easy to find on mi.gov with googles help :)

Relevant copy from the synopsis by the MI AG:
Fees for Public Records:
A government agency may charge a fee for the necessary copying of a public record for inspection or providing a copy of a public record to a requestor. A public body may also charge for search, examination and review and the separation of exempt information in those instances where failure to charge a fee would result in unreasonably high costs to the public body. The fee must be limited to actual duplication, mailing and labor costs. The first $20 of a fee must be waived for a person who is on welfare or presents facts showing inability to pay because of indigency.

Haman J.T.

imported post

This is how the incident report goes.Everything in parenthesis is inaccurate,except my description.

08/25/09:(ccw violation/open carry)

On 08/25/09 at 1422 hours, undersiggned officer, along with Officers_______, ______ and _______, were dispatched to the area of 12/Hoover near Comerica bank regarding a man carrying a gun walking east on 12mile.

Upon arrival in the area, the listed subject as described by dispatch ( a white male wearing a gray tank top and shorts ) was seen by myself walking out of the (CVA parking lot at 12/Ryan and begin walking west on 12mile.

(Upon approaching the subject from the rear), I observed a large black semi-automatic handgun being carryed bythe subject on his right hip.(I pulled my scout car up behind the subject and exited my scout car with my weapon drawn and ordered the subject to the ground).

The subject,later identified as _______,(went to the ground on his knee's and I again ordered him to lay flat with his arms stretched out in front of him). (As I approached _______, I asked him if the gun on his hip was loaded and he confirmed it was. I secured my handgun) and then immediately handcuffed ______ behind his back while pursuing my investigation.

( I assisted ____ to his feet), retrieved his wallet from his pocket and took custody of his Michigan ID card and (CCW) permit to further this investigation.

(While speaking to _____ , he invoked his rights as a citizen to carry his handgun in the open holster on his hip,saying his handgun was too big to carry concealed). Being aware of the right, I advised ____ that he was simply asking for trouble from passing citizens who called in to WPD about his gun. A LEIN check of _____ revealed a valid (CCW) in LEIN and no warrants for his arrest.

( _____ was uncuffed and released at the scene without further incident)-dispatch was advised of his address and direction of travel should they recieve any more calls regarding this citizen walking with his gun fully displayed on his hip.

(After clearing this run, Officer _____ checked with WPD Range Master _____ regarding the open carry law and how it pertains to somebody with a (CCW) permit. Corporal _____ advised that a subject is in violation of the (CCW) permit law, if they carry their handgun out in the open while walking in a public way).

I printed this public document for your education. I will give further info in the future,as it becomes available.