• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: buying gold & silver, how to start?

Metalhead47

imported post

so this has nothing to do with carry or firearms in general, but i know some folks on here are just as well versed in it. whats the best way to get into buying gold & silver, both as long term investments and in case of apocalypse? at over $1k an ounce gold is probably out of my league for now but id like to have something in the safe actually worth what it's made of.

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

well it depends on if they need the money. most salvage gold dealers give you 25% what its worth.

you can offer more since they need the money and if you have the capita to back you.

John Hardin

imported post

The best advice I can give for a long-term investment that will also serve well at TEOTWAWKI is small-denomination numismatic gold coins (e.g. $2.50 and $5 gold eagles), some middling quality and some the best quality you can afford.

Numismatic coins always have greater value than an equivalent weight of bullion as they are not being made any more and will only grow rarer as time passes. Small coins are easier to make small transactions with - a double eagle may be far more gold than you need for a given transaction.

The latter point holds true for bullion as well. Get 20 $5 or 10 $10 gold bullion coins rather than one $100 gold bullion coin.

You might want to get a mix of small denomination bullion coins for regular use plus some high-quality numismatic coins for long-term investment.

Stay away from jewelry and anything less than 24k for investment purposes, though 18k+ could serve as trade goods - a gold chain is a good form for that, as you can cut off links if necessary to match the value of the transaction.

MC, please PM me if I am blowing smoke, I'd like to hear better advice if you have it!

kparker

imported post

... in case of apocalypse ... I'd like to have something in the safe actually worth what it's made of.

If you really do mean TEOTWAWKI, probably the best use of your safe space is for .22LR, 9mm/.45, .308, or the equivalent calibers for you. These will hold their value far better than anything else.

John Hardin

imported post

kparker wrote:
... in case of apocalypse ... I'd like to have something in the safe actually worth what it's made of.
If you really do mean TEOTWAWKI, probably the best use of your safe space is for .22LR, 9mm/.45, .308, or the equivalent calibers for you. These will hold their value far better than anything else.
Definitely +1 on the .22LR.

John Hardin

imported post

Misguided Child wrote:
Good advice, but I'd also include a good supply of pre '64 US silver coins.
$5 eagle =$130
50 silver dimes =$60 great for small deals.
Right! I was so focused on answering the question about gold I forgot about silver!

"My portfolio is silver, gold and .22LR..."

Theguy

imported post

if you're really interested in getting ready, then I heartily recommend you read Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse ( http://www.amazon.com/Patriots-Nove...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253415830&sr=8-1 ) by James Wesley Rawles

it's really an all-inclusive survival manual cunningly disguised as a novel

on Precious Metals I'd say silver, silver, and more silver! gold is just too compact a form of wealth.

but keep in mind you should only buy PMs after you have sufficient supplies of food, parts and ammo (we call these "Critical Logistics" in the survivalist circle)

Metalhead47

imported post

Theguy wrote:
if you're really interested in getting ready, then I heartily recommend you read Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse ( http://www.amazon.com/Patriots-Novel-Survival-Coming-Collapse/dp/156975599X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253415830&sr=8-1 ) by James Wesley Rawles

it's really an all-inclusive survival manual cunningly disguised as a novel

on Precious Metals I'd say silver, silver, and more silver! gold is just too compact a form of wealth.

but keep in mind you should only buy PMs after you have sufficient supplies of food, parts and ammo (we call these "Critical Logistics" in the survivalist circle)
That one's on my short list actually.:) Right now we've got enough food & ammo to make it thru a small zombie invasion, I'd like to start adding just a little post-apocalyptic currency while still building my stores of everything else (my wife is actually encouraging me to get into reloading now:celebrate). Although I'm a little afraid to collect 22lr. Ammo that cheap would be at too great a risk of being lost to dozens of very small, very intense fires, tho it might help that I don't own anything that could actually shoot it as yet.

Thanx for the info guys, you've given me some stuff to think on. Does anyone know of any reputable sources for PM, online or local? I was perusing this place the other day: https://www.apmex.com . Dunno about hoarding legitimacy but they got lotsa shiney things:cool:

Metalhead47

imported post

kparker wrote:
my wife is actually encouraging me to get into reloading now

Does she have any sisters??
??
Ah, my wife....

She's been on my case all week that we need more ammo, never go shooting enough, always checking the Big5 adds for Mosin-Nagant sales, etc etc, insists she takes her motorcycle to work every day, has a bigger truck than me, always wants to go offroading... And getting her to go shopping is like pulling teeth without Novocain.

<evil grin>

Nope no sisters, but she does have a brother:p

Misguided Child

imported post

nwtmint.com is a good source with live buy and sell prices. Use this to decide what you will offer to buy from individuals.

put an ad in craigslist offering to buy. if you sell anything, offer to trade for pm
's.

kitco.com is great for research. they sell too.

apmex, monex are both reputable.

don't buy cast bars unless they are real cheap, resell prices will suck.

goldeneaglecoin.com is good for smaller quantities. I may buy some Morgan $'s from them as the price hasn't climbed as fast as silver. other then that I won't buy from a dealer until gold is <980 or silver <15

Theguy

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
kparker wrote:
my wife is actually encouraging me to get into reloading now

Does she have any sisters??
??
Ah, my wife....

She's been on my case all week that we need more ammo, never go shooting enough, always checking the Big5 adds for Mosin-Nagant sales, etc etc, insists she takes her motorcycle to work every day, has a bigger truck than me, always wants to go offroading... And getting her to go shopping is like pulling teeth without Novocain.

<evil grin>

Nope no sisters, but she does have a brother:p

There need to be more women like her.