• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would you ask a LEO where you cannot OC in your city?

MolonLabe

imported post

In Billings, MT, I OC everywhere, except where I know it's illegal. However, I'm unsure if I can be OC in a city park. Who would you ask? Do you know?

r6-rider

imported post

hell no dont ask a cop. theyll tell you what they want or what they "think" is right. if you cant read the law for yourself (which is ok, it took me years to finally understand how they write it) then ask an attorney that specifies in firearms. or call the NRA and ask to speak to a lawyer? iv never done or heard of that but i would assume the NRA would help

Jero1987

imported post

Personally I would never ask an LEO a law related question. In my experience they generally do not know the law, and have in the past said that they "Just go by what they are told by their superiors."

Either ask a lawyer, (I have in the past and only been charged a $30 consultation fee), or search your states code.

*Addition* I always carry a printout of open and concealed carry laws for my state. A short copy in my wallet and a long printout in my glove compartment. It at least helps educate, not only mistaken LEOs, as well as people with questions.

9MM Owner

imported post

Jero1987 wrote:
*Addition* I always carry a printout of open and concealed carry laws for my state. A short copy in my wallet and a long printout in my glove compartment. It at least helps educate, not only mistaken LEOs, as well as people with questions.
Yeah, that's probably the best thingthat can people do.

Tomahawk

imported post

It's generally accepted that LEO's are not a reliable source of legal advice. You could ask a lawyer, but he may charge you for his time and get it wrong anyway.

Your best bet is to read the relevant codes yourself. OCDO's members should be able to steer you in the right direction, but in the end, you alone are responsible for knowing the law. Where it's vague you have to decide for yourself how to interpret it. I'd err on the side of caution but it's your mind to make up.

Jero1987

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
....Where it's vague you have to decide for yourself how to interpret it. I'd err on the side of caution but it's your mind to make up.
:banghead: This is one of the most frustrating things about reading law code.

For example,
§ 18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship. If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.
What ever happened to common sense law making? Can we not just make it clear? :banghead:

mrjam2jab

imported post

Jero1987 wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
....Where it's vague you have to decide for yourself how to interpret it. I'd err on the side of caution but it's your mind to make up.
:banghead: This is one of the most frustrating things about reading law code.

For example,
§ 18.2-283. Carrying dangerous weapon to place of religious worship. If any person carry any gun, pistol, bowie knife, dagger or other dangerous weapon, without good and sufficient reason, to a place of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held at such place he shall be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.
What ever happened to common sense law making? Can we not just make it clear? :banghead:

Thats similar to this one in PA where even the attorney general wont answer whether or not a PA license to carry is a lawful purpose

18 Pa.C.S. § 912: Possession of weapon on school property (a) Definition.--Notwithstanding the definition of "weapon" in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), "weapon" for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nunchuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury. (b) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school. (c) Defense.--It shall be a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose.

chewy352

imported post

I asked a watch commander for information on the CA PC 626.9 school zones. He was as helpful as he could be and explained to me how his officers determine if you are in a school zone or not. But because each officer and watch comander make their own decisions on how to measure/enforce the law he would not tell me where he thought i was safe. Because i would then be able to say "well Sgt Joe told me i could"

Deanimator

imported post

In my personal experience, cops are a reliable source of INCORRECT information on the law. Within the past few months I've had a couple of cops tell me things, that had they acted on them, would probably have resulted in a 1983 Federal civil rights suit against them that they couldn't POSSIBLY have won.

If you want to know firearms law in your area, ask a well informed lawyer or your local gun rights organization.