• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loaded or Unloaed

JWCOLT41

imported post

OK.....I've tried to read all the info I can on Michigan Gun Laws relating to both Concealed and Open Carry. I thank you all for all the info you've provided those of us that haven't as yet gotten into Open Carry. Being a "Senior" Citizen, I am now, more than ever, ready to become part of the Open Carry group.

Simple or stupid as it may seem, I can't find any reference to loaded/unloaded open carry except during the transport of a pistol in a vehicle. Obviously, if one is carrying for the purpose of defense, it would be silly to have an unloaded firearm. Can someone cite the Paragraph clearly stating the legality of the Open Carry of a loaded pistol?

Thank you.

JWCOLT41

Yooper

imported post

JWCOLT41 wrote:
OK.....I've tried to read all the info I can on Michigan Gun Laws relating to both Concealed and Open Carry. I thank you all for all the info you've provided those of us that haven't as yet gotten into Open Carry. Being a "Senior" Citizen, I am now, more than ever, ready to become part of the Open Carry group.

Simple or stupid as it may seem, I can't find any reference to loaded/unloaded open carry except during the transport of a pistol in a vehicle. Obviously, if one is carrying for the purpose of defense, it would be silly to have an unloaded firearm. Can someone cite the Paragraph clearly stating the legality of the Open Carry of a loaded pistol?

Thank you.

JWCOLT41
More important would be a law/court decision that PROHIBITS the Open Carry of a pistol. Since there is no such thing, it is legal to do so.
For example, there is no law that states making coffee is legal, but there is no law that makes it illegal. Since no law makes it illegal, it is assumed to be legal.

If you read the Wash, Rinse, Repeat, that should be all the info you need.

JWCOLT41

imported post

Thanks for the welcome. Is there really anyone who has 'confidence' in knowing all the laws?? Probably impossible. But, I try and read/learn/obey as best I can.

T Vance

imported post

Welcome!

Not only should you read a few times, you should memorize it and keep a copy on you when you decide to open carry (OC).

BTW, there are NO stupid questions!

wally1120

imported post

I carry more then 1 gun with me now,I have been detained twice with a loaded handtool and they never said anything to me other then my gun is larger,more powerful then there`s,or my gun is nicer then there`s,ETC. I have several guns and they all stay cocked allways,Except when I am cleaning them.

PDinDetroit

imported post

JWCOLT41 wrote:
Interesting. Now that I think about it, I don't recall EVER seeing ANYONE carrying other than a hunter in the woods.
I do when I am camping, especially in Bear Country. I will be carrying on the Youth Hunt this coming weekend when I take my daughter and her boyfriend hunting for their first time.