• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loaded or Unloaed

PDinDetroit

imported post

JWCOLT41 wrote:
The bears will not bother you unless you do something dumb. You'll be lucky to even see one. Have fun.
In general, I would agree. However, try telling that to the bear who charged at me and the other bear who was walking right behind us in the woods. Both incidents happened in the UP, in the Keweenaw Peninsula, one in Eagle River, the other at Fort Wilkins. I have seen more than my share of bears here in MI and not armed.

A little light reading:

http://www.amazon.com/True-Bear-Tales-Michigans-Peninsula/dp/0962366447

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum9/10108.html

JWCOLT41

imported post

Well, this isn't the place to argue about bears and their behavior vs the behavior of man vs bear. I spent three days living with totally wild bears and came away with a different perspective on their behavior. This was NOT in a fenced in area either.

Good luck and remain calm.

Yooper

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
JWCOLT41 wrote:
The bears will not bother you unless you do something dumb. You'll be lucky to even see one. Have fun.
In general, I would agree. However, try telling that to the bear who charged at me and the other bear who was walking right behind us in the woods. Both incidents happened in the UP, in the Keweenaw Peninsula, one in Eagle River, the other at Fort Wilkins. I have seen more than my share of bears here in MI and not armed.

A little light reading:

http://www.amazon.com/True-Bear-Tales-Michigans-Peninsula/dp/0962366447

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum9/10108.html
I know a few people who've been treed by bears, and a few who have been bow hunting in a tree stand and have had bears start climbing the tree.

Usually they'll run if they see you, but some won't, and those are the ones to be concerned about.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

PDinDetroit, take another look at the game law booklet as it says that the person with the youth hunter cannot have in their possession a firearm. That's from memory BC I can't find my game guide right now. I don't know how they could prevent you from carrying but just to be on the safe side check it out.springerdave.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

springerdave wrote:
PDinDetroit, take another look at the game law booklet as it says that the person with the youth hunter cannot have in their possession a firearm. That's from memory BC I can't find my game guide right now. I don't know how they could prevent you from carrying but just to be on the safe side check it out.springerdave.
As long as he has a CPL and is carrying in that manner and is not attempting to take game, he's good to go.

Yooper

imported post

dougwg wrote:
springerdave wrote:
As long as he has a CPL and is carrying in that manner and is not attempting to take game, he's good to go.
I can't remember the bill numbers, but a law passed that pretty much stripped the DNR of the ability to regulate how/when/where a CPL holder carries his gun.

PDinDetroit

imported post

springerdave wrote:
Yup, I caught that myself. I went to AskDNR and submitted a question, see the link for more info:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/30926.html

I will definitely be carrying a pistol (S&W M&P 45) that would not be for hunting purposes, along with the printout of the email from the DNR Officer.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Yooper wrote:
dougwg wrote:
springerdave wrote:
I can't remember the bill numbers, but a law passed that pretty much stripped the DNR of the ability to regulate how/when/where a CPL holder carries his gun.

[align=center]NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT)
Act 451 of 1994[/align]
324.504 Department of natural resources; rules for protection of lands and property; certain rules prohibited; orders; violation as civil infraction; fine.

Sec. 504.(1) The department shall promulgate rules for the protection of the lands and property under its control against wrongful use or occupancy as will ensure the carrying out of the intent of this part to protect the lands and property from depredations and to preserve the lands and property from molestation, spoilation, destruction, or any other improper use or occupancy.

(2) This section does not allow the department to promulgate a rule that applies to commercial fishing except as otherwise provided by law.

(3) The department shall not promulgate or enforce a rule that prohibits an individual who is licensed or exempt from licensure under 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421 to 28.435, from carrying a pistol in compliance with that act, whether concealed or otherwise, on property under the control of the department.

(4) The department shall issue orders necessary to implement rules promulgated under this section. These orders shall be effective upon posting.
(5) A person who violates a rule promulgated under this section or an order issued under this section is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be ordered to pay a civil fine of not more than $500.00.
History: 1994, Act 451, Eff. Mar. 30, 1995 ;-- Am. 1996, Act 171, Imd. Eff. Apr. 18, 1996 ;-- Am. 2004, Act 130, Imd. Eff. June 3, 2004
Popular Name: Act 451