• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

my useless opinions

Superlite27

imported post

My opinions of your opinions:

McX wrote:
My useless opinions:

.32 why bother - better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick...well, maybe not.

.380 nasty little pocket rocket - not really that nasty. Just a smidge better than a .32.

.38 good girl gun - Myth. I keep hearing people "help" their wives and girlfriends by reccommending .38 snubbies. Evidently, these big, brave,macho-men have never fired some heavy +P's out of a wood gripped 13 oz. titanium J-frame.

.357 obviously MAG-nificent - strange. You just said .38's were for girls. You are aware that a .357 is just a .38 with a longer shell casing?

.44 mag, one shot wonder - When I was in high school, my neighbor got in an argument with his wife and shot her in the chest, point blank, with a .44. He was captured 3 days later hiding behind a garage across town. She testified against him at his trial. .44 mag, one shot wonder....most of the time.

.45 ok - just "O.K."? That's it? "O.K."? Jeeze! Not even a capitol "O.K.". a mere ok. Man, you're just asking for it.

9 mm cute, very trendy - At least we can agree on something.

.40 serious walker - Almost as serious as a .45....and we all know what almost counts in.

anything above this is a cannon with a handgrip. - What about many othercalibers? Like smash29 - 10MM? (Which I think ranks up there with .45)357sig? 5.7? .45 LC? .45 GAP? Heck why not .22mag?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

No comments on a .41 rem-mag?

I downsized from a .41 mag, to a .40 caliber, I would have gone 10mm but my handgun of choice does not offer a 10mm version yet.

I like the 45 ACP, but I do not like handloading .45, I also prefer a little higher magazine capacity than most .45's offer.

I feel capacity has become just as important if not more important that caliber these days.
Does anyone agree?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

McX wrote:
My useless opinions:

.32 why bother

.380 nasty little pocket rocket

.38 good girl gun

.357 obviously MAG-nificent

.44 mag, one shot wonder

.45 ok

9 mm cute, very trendy

.40 serious walker

anything above this is a cannon with a handgrip.
What do you carry, McX?

KansasMustang

imported post

I have a few favorites myself. .44 Mag. .45ACP and .45 LC. The weapon I favor most is my Springfield .45 XD. Capacity 13+1 and then 13 more. Think that solves most problems. Ruger .44mag is my huntin' buddy take it when I go Elk hunting in CO. dang good backup for any occasion. The .45LC is for cowboy action shooting and the holster hangs real good on my bedpost. :D CC choice is a .40 Taurus PT140, and gad if I get any more calibers, it'd be totally inefficient. I buy 9 different caliber ammunition as it is.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

McX wrote:
I know, I know, there are many calibers, many variations, much to discuss! I'm glad were all talking here, and your opening my mind to some of the variants I didn't mention. Keep talking everyone, give me more information on variants, that I might learn too! .22 Mag is a very nasty round, don't know much about the rest. .45 is always OK, big OK..........ok? I've heard of some carbine round handguns, but not much about them. 10mm packs a solid punch too. I carry a .40 cal. HiPoint. Yeah, I know, not slim and elegant, but functional, and cost effective. I like the big iron. easy to handle, absorbs recoil, reliable. Let's keep going here. I'm reading and learning from you now.

You OC a Hi Point?? Where's the little green puking emoticon?

Kidding, Hi Points might be ugly, but they work. I miss my old carbine. Having a pistol/carbine combo that accepts the same mags is a good move as well.

As far as .357SIG goes, it was too hard to find training ammo, back when all ammo was plentiful. I think 10mm will eventually be phased out because .40S&W is basically the same (ballistically speaking) if I'm not mistaken. Plus it's another round I don't see available in training ammo.

As long as it starts with a .4 it's alright by me.

Marco

imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
I think 10mm will eventually be phased out because .40S&W is basically the same (ballistically speaking) if I'm not mistaken.
You are mistaken.
People have been saying that nonsense since 1989.

While all the none 10mm shooters have to search far and wide for ammo I haven't had that problem with 10mm.

Can you name one 40S&W loading that can reach 700 ft/lbs of energy from a standard sized (<5" barreled) SA.

I can name several 10mm loads that exceed 750 ft/lbs.
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_25

I have a hand load that propels a 10mm 135gr JHP to 1800fps from a 6" SA that isn't over pressured.
Can you do that with a .40SW without blowing up you and your gun??:lol:

[line]

As for the OP's observations regarding caliber I don't agree with them.
All handgun calibers have preformed perfectly and miserably at one time or another.

One man's cannon is another mans water pistols and vice versa.
Carry what makes you feel comfortable and what you can shoot well.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
PrayingForWar wrote:
I think 10mm will eventually be phased out because .40S&W is basically the same (ballistically speaking) if I'm not mistaken.
You are mistaken.

While all the none 10mm shooters have to search far and wide for ammo I haven't had that problem with 10mm.

Can you name one 40S&W loading that can reach 700 ft/lbs of energy from a standard sized (<5" barreled) SA.

I have a hand load that propels a 10mm 135gr JHP to 1800fps from a 6" SA that isn't over pressured.

[line]

All handgun calibers have preformed perfectly and miserably at one time or another.

Thanks for setting me straight. I never looked into it myself, just took other people's word for it. I suppose since the fed's switched to .40 it made sense. So if 10mm is superior, why did anyone switch? Why don't more people use it?

From my own experience, I rarely see 10mm period, let alone training ammo, but the again, I don't use it, so I never really look for it. Thanks for the info though, perhaps I'll look into a new caliber.

M

McX

imported post

ahh, back to our original topic. Sorry about the rant guys. I'm having a hard time finding any serious heavy load shotgun shells. Birdshot is everywhere. I hears 00 buck is now illegal?

KansasMustang

imported post

McX wrote:
ahh, back to our original topic. Sorry about the rant guys. I'm having a hard time finding any serious heavy load shotgun shells. Birdshot is everywhere. I hears 00 buck is now illegal?
I'd never heard that "Double naught Buck" is illegal,,yet. I bought about 500 rounds last summer, and you can still fidn it on www.gunbroker.com . Probably other sites as well.
As to the .41 Mag. Came out not long after the .44 mag. Never heard of it being anyhting but a wheel gun cartridge. Never had nor fired one. And ammo is hard to find. But it's a good little cartridge. Super-sonic as far as I know, but I like's my big ole calibers. Send along those punkin' balls, LOL
Keep your powder dry!

Gordie

imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
PrayingForWar wrote:
You are mistaken.

[line]

Thanks for setting me straight. I never looked into it myself, just took other people's word for it. I suppose since the fed's switched to .40 it made sense. So if 10mm is superior, why did anyone switch? Why don't more people use it?

From my own experience, I rarely see 10mm period, let alone training ammo, but the again, I don't use it, so I never really look for it. Thanks for the info though, perhaps I'll look into a new caliber.
10 mm was considered to have to heavy of recoil. Reduce the load and shorten the case, you get .40 S&W.