• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

rifle carry

exgabrit

imported post

Just wondering if there are any things in the Georgia code about openly carry a rifle, whether hunting rifle or AR type.
And if one can open carry a rifle, does it need to be unloaded etc ?
I've not read anything so I'm thinking it's permitted.

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

Carrying firearms

Short Version

Basically to carry a handgun openly or concealed in the state of Georgia (outside of your home, your car, or your business), you must have a Georgia Firearm License issued under code 16-11-129 and the concealed handgun must be carried in any type of holster or any other securing device. There are exceptions, read below to find out what those are.

(Quoted from http://georgiapacking.org/law.php)

On the matter of long arms, the law seems to be silent and the maxim of 'that which is not prohibited, is allowed' applies. You may be stopped, but you can not be cited for any illegality on the basis of carry/possession of a long arm.

IANAL and all other internet warnings apply.

exgabrit

imported post

cool thanks

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
Carrying firearms

Short Version

Basically to carry a handgun openly or concealed in the state of Georgia (outside of your home, your car, or your business), you must have a Georgia Firearm License issued under code 16-11-129 and the concealed handgun must be carried in any type of holster or any other securing device. There are exceptions, read below to find out what those are.

(Quoted from http://georgiapacking.org/law.php)

On the matter of long arms, the law seems to be silent and the maxim of 'that which is not prohibited, is allowed' applies. You may be stopped, but you can not be cited for any illegality on the basis of carry/possession of a long arm.

IANAL and all other internet warnings apply.

aadvark

imported post

YOU MAY CARRY A RIFLE/SHOTGUN/AR-15 TYPE GUN/ETC. OPENLY IN GEORGIA IF YOU CAN LEGALLY HAVE/OWN ONE.

THE RIFLE, ETC., MUST BE CARRIED... 'ONLY IN A OPEN MANNER A FULLY EXPOSED TO VIEW'-PER GEORGIA LAW 16-11-126.

YOU MAY ALSO CARRY ANY TYPE OF HANDHELD WEAPON- KNIFE, BATON, ASP, SLINGSHOT, BRASS KNUCKLES, BOWIE KNIFE, SWITCH BLADE KNIFE, STICK, ETC.-PROVIDED THE SAME IS ONLY CARRIED IN A OPEN MANNER AND FULLY EXPOSED TO VIEW.

JUST REMEMBER THE LIST OF OFF LIMIT PLACES IS EXTENSIVE AND IT IS EASY TO COME WITHIN A 1000 FEET OF ANY SCHOOL IF NOT PAYING CAREFUL ATTENTION, SO BE CAREFUL.

READ 16-11-127, 16-11-127.1, AND 16-11-127.2!!!!!

YOU NEED A PERMIT FOR A PISTOL TO BE CARRIED OPENLY IN GEORGIA, PER 16-11-128!!!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

exgabrit wrote:
Just wondering if there are any things in the Georgia code about openly carry a rifle, whether hunting rifle or AR type.
Are you thinking about OCing either a hunting rifle or an AR, exgabrit?

exgabrit

imported post

I was just wondering in the case of carry rifle from point A to B and if.
like from car to another location.

HankT wrote:
exgabrit wrote:
Are you thinking about OCing either a hunting rifle or an AR, exgabrit?

aadvark

imported post

HERE AGAIN, IF YOU CAN LEGALLY OWN A RIFLE, SHOTGUN, OR AR-15 TYPE FIREARM YOU MAY OPEN CARRY IT WITHOUT ANY NEED FOR ANY TYPE OF PERMIT.

YOU CAN TAKE IT INTO WALMART, THE GROCERY STORE, THE GAS STATION, THE DEPARTMENT STORE, THE MALL, THE PARK, THE RESTAURANT, THE SHOE STORE,ETC. ETC., JUST NOT A PUBLIC GATHERING.

FOR INSTANCE IF 'POINT A' IS YOUR CAR AND 'POINT B' IS... LET'S SAY...HOME DEPOT, IT IS PERFECTLY LEGAL TO WALK IN HOME DEPOT WITH YOUR AR-15 RIFLE LOOKING FOR A NEW CROWBAR, SCREWDRIVER, MONKEY WRENCH, ETC..

HELL, YOU COULD EVEN WALK INTO A BANK WITH A AR-15 IN GEORGIA IF YOU REALLY WANTED TO DO SO.

JUST REMEMBER, PRIVATE PROPERTY IS PRIVATE PROPERTY, AND IF THE PRIVATE PROPERTY OWNER OR HIS DESIGNEE ASKS YOU TO LEAVE YOU HAVE TO LEAVE.

IF THE OTHER LOCATION YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT IS DOWN THE ROAD, THEN, THAT TOO IS LEGAL, PROVIDED, THAT YOU DO NOT TAKE IT INTO ANY PUBLIC GATHERINGS OR WITHIN 1000 FEET OF ANY SCHOOL, OR TO ANY NUCLEAR POWER PLANT.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

aadvark wrote:
HERE AGAIN, IF YOU CAN LEGALLY OWN A RIFLE, SHOTGUN, OR AR-15 TYPE FIREARM YOU MAY OPEN CARRY IT WITHOUT ANY NEED FOR ANY TYPE OF PERMIT.

YOU CAN TAKE IT INTO WALMART, THE GROCERY STORE, THE GAS STATION, THE DEPARTMENT STORE, THE MALL, THE PARK, THE RESTAURANT, THE SHOE STORE,ETC. ETC
., JUST NOT A PUBLIC GATHERING.

HELL, YOU COULD EVEN WALK INTO A BANK WITH A AR-15 IN GEORGIA IF YOU REALLY WANTED TO DO SO.

Does anybody actually do this in Georgia? Or is it basically theoretical to say "you can" do it?

aadvark

imported post

YES I HAVE OPEN CARRIED A LOADED RIFLE INTO A BANK TO CASH MY CHECK, THEN WALMART TO BUY THINGS I NEEDED, AND FINALLY TO THE GAS STATION AND PARK TO BUY AND ENJOY A SNACK..., RESPECTIVELY.

YOU CAN DO IT, AS I HAVE,... IF THE COMPANY OR PRIVATE PROPERTY OWNER DOES NOT LIKE IT AND ASKS YOU TO LEAVE THOUGH... YOU HAVE TO.

THAT DID NOT HAPPEN TO ME THOUGH, I KNEW ALL THE PERSONS WHO WORKED IN ALL OF THE RESPECTIVE PLACES VERY WELL.

IF ANYONE CALLS THE POLICE, THE POLICE SHOULD KNOW THE LAW, AS FOR MYSELF THE LAW WAS CALLED TWICE THAT DAY. WHEN THE POLICE SAW ME THOUGH, THEY JUST LEFT... NO LIGHTS, SIRENS, NOTHING. ONE POLICE OFFICER CAME TO THE PARK AND ASKED ME WHAT KIND IT WAS THOUGH, AS HE SHOWED ME HIS, TO MAKE SMALL TALK BEFORE HEADING OFF ON ANOTHER CALL.

REALLY, IT JUST DEPENDS ON WHAT PART OF GEORGIA WE ARE TALKING ABOUT. AFTER ALL OPEN CARRY OF A RIFLE IN RURAL PARTS OF THIS STATE GO A LOT BETTER, GENERALLY, THAN LET'S SAY... ATLANTA!

rmodel65

imported post

you must have a permit to OC only a handgun, ive never personally carried a long gun in public other than the woods and to and from my car :p

aadvark

imported post

I too am well aware of Georgia Law 16-11-128 that requires one to have a Georgia Firearms License before one can carry a Pistol openly in Public.

I do not agree with this Law, and I hope our Legislators change this during their next Legislative session when it reassembles next January.

aadvark

imported post

Our Legislators have already prefiled several other bills that are available to be read at The Georgia General Assemblies website and Georgia Packing.

Several majorchanges is whatGeorgia needs to become as pro-Firearm asAlabama, Alaska, or Vermont are though.

I will not count on anything too drastic, such as concealed carry Alaska/Vermont style, but I think unlicensed open carry of Pistols is a very real possibility thisnext Legislative session.

In fact, almost every pro-Firearm bill, allof which are prefiled and on hold for review in their appropiate committees, will most probably come to fruition.

theodoxa

imported post

I used to have family in Atlanta. I openly carried an AK-47 numerous times from my truck to my hotel room right through the hotel lobby and right past the front desk.

One time [albeit not in GA] at a hotel in Birmingham, AL...I had a couple of older gentlemen ask me about my guns. I hung around for a little while with an AK-47 and shotgun slung over my shoulders and a .45ACP in full-view on my hip...talking 'bout guns. They were pro-RKBA.

[QUESTION] Why Locked ???