• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AB 668

usmarbws2005

imported post

Hey Everyone,

I am new here, but after reading much information on the California laws regarding "Open Carry", I am pretty up to speed on this now.

It seems that there has been some legislation introduced that I have not read about until now regarding an increase in "School Zone" distance. The current law under penal code 626.9 which it seems Theseus is being charged with, lists a distance of within 1000' of school property. A new amendment to this, introduced by Assemblyman Ted Lieu(Democrat) of the 53rd Assembly district on Feb 25, 2009, is AB 668 which would increase the distance considered a "School Zone" to 1500'.

I have not seen any result on this issue or any further action except for some other amendments to the language and lastly a submission to the Committee for review.

Please email your district Senator along with the governor and let them know that this is a law that is simply going to restrict legal law abiding citizens rights when the ones who could and would commit crimes on school property are not going to follow the rules either way. This will only deter law abiding citizens rather than the criminals.

There is no need for this!

To read the proposed ammendment go to: http://www.totalcapitol.com/?bill_id=9157

Bill in its entirety:

AB 668 (Lieu)
Firearms: gun-free school zones.LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL'S DIGEST

AB 668, as amended, Lieu. Firearms: gun-free school zones.
Existing law, subject to exceptions, provides that it is an
offense for any person to possess a firearm in a place that the
person knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone, unless it
is with the written permission of the school district superintendent,
his or her designee, or equivalent school authority. Existing law
defines "school zone" for these purposes as an area in, or on the
grounds of, a public or private school providing instruction in
kindergarten or grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or within a distance of
1,000 feet from the grounds of the public or private school.
Existing law provides an exception to the prohibition for handguns
that are in a locked container or within the locked trunk of a motor
vehicle.

This
This bill would revise this exception to instead except from
the prohibition a handgun that is in a locked container inside a
motor vehicle or that is unloaded and inside a locked trunk of a
motor vehicle. The
bill would extend that distance
increase the size of the zone to include
the area up to
1,500 feet from the grounds of the public or
private school. The bill would create an exception to the school
zone firearms possession prohibition for firearms that are otherwise
lawfully
possessed or transported in a vehicle on a
driveway or parking lot of a school, as specified.

By expanding the scope of an existing offense, this bill would
impose a state-mandated local program.
The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local
agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the
state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that
reimbursement.
This bill would provide that no reimbursement is required by this
act for a specified reason.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

This bill has been shelved until a later date. Possibly next year.

I know that the 100% of the CA assembly voted in favor of it and then it was referred to the senate. I guess they weren't as enthusiastic about it yet?

usmarbws2005

imported post

Thanks for that update. It seemed like it had been shelved, but there was nothing that I saw specific to that. Hopefully this bill doesn't come up again because it really is pointless. They need to be concentrating on getting illegal guns out of the streets and away from schools rather than legal.

usmarbws2005

imported post

Haven't seen that. Sometimes our government likes to bury things so they can avoid any confrontation on the issues. This is apparent when you watch our current presidential and congressional legislation and the legislation they pass at Midnight on Friday nights to hopefully sneak it by Americans.