Thread: Moving to E Kentucky

Post imported post

My wife and I are retiring from the USAF soon and are looking to move to eastern kentucky to live as near to her family as we can stand (they live in PA ).

Any recommendations for areas to live or stay away from? We are headed out next spring to check out properties and locations.

Thanks for the help.

Post imported post

How far east are you talking about ? If you get into the mountain region it can really be a different world. I don't know what type of area you live in now but it can really be different than most places I have been.My roots are in the mountains and I visit there kinda often. For the most part the people are like anywhere else some good, some bad, some smart, somenot so smart but the place is different.

Post imported post

I'm not against Central KY, we like the lack of poulation density in the eastern part. We live in Wash State right now & love the remote wilderness but it's not close enough to her family. We are huge on gun rights andfamily-first self-reliant living and want to live in a place where we can feel free to express those values. I appreciate any inputs you may have good or bad.

Post imported post

Eastern KY can be very remote if that's what your looking for. Your right that people per square mile is probably very low. The problem could be that the areas that are habitable aremostly the low lands at the bottom of mountains. Other than that the houses are barley off the roadways. If you take useable acreage divided by the number of people the population density will be very different.There is alot of land on the sides of mountains but it would be very hard and expensive to build a roadand excavate a build site for a house. You may want to look at the area between eastern and central KY . That area can still be remote but not as isolated as the mountains.

Post imported post

I would look at in the Morehead or Ashland area. Morehead is about an hour away from Lexington so you can go visit the big city if you wanted/needed. There are several members on this board helping to get gun rights better understood in Lexington. Ashland is further down 64 but may be too close to the in-laws . You can't go wrong either way.

Post imported post

I would reccommend anyone moving to eastern KY find a place outside the city limits. Seems like city commissions just want to stiffle everything. I'm outside Ashland and love it.Eastern KY has all the ammenities we need, arts, airport, sports, ect. their just not in your front yard. The city (Ashland) is justtrying to be like all the others, can't spityer baccer on the sidewalk, can't smoke a cigarette within 50' of a public entrance, can't play you favorite KY Headhunters cassette tape too loud, and your horse can't poop in the street. Just remember if your pulling a wagon you gotta have one of those orange triangles on the back.

Post imported post

Post imported post

I live in Jackson County, near Hisel. Apx 35-40 miles SSE of Richmond. I cannot say enough good about the way of life found here.