• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Peninsula Patriots Meet-up tomorrow!!

Bubba Ron

imported post

I thought this would have already been posted, but since it's not - there is a Peninsula Patriots meeting at 2640 Bethel Beach Road, Onemo, VA 23130 tomorrow, Sept 19th, from 11AM to 2PM. Philip Van Cleave will be one of the speakers. This is taking place on a farm up in Mathews County - not really too far away - and the owners have said "carry what you want". The weather should be great and the company even better....hope to see you there....

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
I thought this would have already been posted, but since it's not - there is a Peninsula Patriots meeting at 2640 Bethel Beach Road, Onemo, VA 23130 tomorrow, Sept 19th, from 11AM to 2PM. Philip Van Cleave will be one of the speakers. This is taking place on a farm up in Mathews County - not really too far away - and the owners have said "carry what you want". The weather should be great and the company even better....hope to see you there....

If you have a 4WD truck, BRING IT. You'll fit in better. Overalls, hunting garb and/or hip waders optional, but would be considered "normal" attire there. :D

Onemo is about an hour out from Rt 17 in Gloucester. I would highly recommend attendance to all. Its very interesting up there. My step-mother grew upin Onemo. It's really pretty country there. Lots of watermen and farmers.

MuddyTires07

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Bubba Ron wrote:

If you have a 4WD truck, BRING IT. You'll fit in better. Overalls, hunting garb and/or hip waders optional, but would be considered "normal" attire there. :D

Onemo is about an hour out from Rt 17 in Gloucester. I would highly recommend attendance to all. Its very interesting up there. My step-mother grew upin Onemo. It's really pretty country there. Lots of watermen and farmers.
you forgot about the white boots HAHA!

MSC 45ACP

imported post

LMAO! I did forget about the white rubber watermen's boots. Those are a hoot. You'll see themworn atWallyWorld in Gloucester, too.

Sorry I wasn't able to make it up there this morning. Bridget was looking forward to it, but my 2 youngest had things going on that precluded our attendance.

Semper Paratus

Bubba Ron

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
To finish the story....while the land owners had previously said it was OK to open carry, after we'd been there about a half hour, the land owner came up to us and said that the Peninsula Patriots "Leadership" were not happy with us open carrying and wanted us to either conceal or remove our handguns. We were told the "Leadership" didn't want us giving the media (one guy) reason to say we were "gun toten' rednecks". Some of us un-tucked our shirts to conceal, some of us kept open carrying - when the one "media guy" left, very early, we all open carried again and Philip gave a very good 12 minute speech to about 80 to 100 people there - most all of them wearing the orange VCDL Guns Save Lives buttons or stickers.

ODA 226

imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
while the land owners had previously said it was OK to open carry, after we'd been there about a half hour, the land owner came up to us and said that the Peninsula Patriots "Leadership" were not happy with us open carrying and wanted us to either conceal or remove our handguns. We were told the "Leadership" didn't want us giving the media (one guy) reason to say we were "gun toten' rednecks".
That statementtells me that they are NOT patriots but political opportunists. I'm glad I couldn't go now!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Bubba Ron wrote:
Bubba Ron wrote:
To finish the story....while the land owners had previously said it was OK to open carry, after we'd been there about a half hour, the land owner came up to us and said that the Peninsula Patriots "Leadership" were not happy with us open carrying and wanted us to either conceal or remove our handguns. We were told the "Leadership" didn't want us giving the media (one guy) reason to say we were "gun toten' rednecks". Some of us un-tucked our shirts to conceal, some of us kept open carrying - when the one "media guy" left, very early, we all open carried again and Philip gave a very good 12 minute speech to about 80 to 100 people there - most all of them wearing the orange VCDL Guns Save Lives buttons or stickers.
This is getting to be an old story at these events. Glad I didn't go.:X
. Which part of the Constitution did they discuss?

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

Having spoke to one of those on the Peninsula Patriot's board that was concerned about open carry, I can say this was not malicious at all, just a little stage-fright as they stepped into the media light for the first time.

We must be slow to anger with the Tea Party people. So many of them have just woken up from a long sleep and have much to learn about battles we have been fighting for so long against the bigotry and prejudices that the media and anti-gunners have been feeding people for the last 30 years. We do need to be quick to educate and show the falseness of those anti-gun stereotypes by example. These are people, who with a little guidance on the full measure of freedom, are our natural allies.

30% of the attendees signed up for VA-ALERT. The vast majority were proudly sporting VCDL's Gun Save Lives stickers.

Go easy, guys and gals.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

VCDL President wrote:
Having spoke to one of those on the Peninsula Patriot's board that was concerned about open carry, I can say this was not malicious at all, just a little stage-fright as they stepped into the media light for the first time.

We must be slow to anger with the Tea Party people. So many of them have just woken up from a long sleep and have much to learn about battles we have been fighting for so long against the bigotry and prejudices that the media and anti-gunners have been feeding people for the last 30 years. We do need to be quick to educate and show the falseness of those anti-gun stereotypes by example. These are people, who with a little guidance on the full measure of freedom, are our natural allies.

30% of the attendees signed up for VA-ALERT. The vast majority were proudly sporting VCDL's Gun Save Lives stickers.

Go easy, guys and gals.
It's a little more than that Philip....but to be fair, I'll lower the flag. Give me an hour and I'll post the other side of the coin. They at least had the decency to respond to me and give their side.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Read Tom Robinson's response very carefully. I won't voice an opinion just yet but he won't be getting any Christmas Hams from Old Va.

http://news.oldva.org/blogroll/peninsula-patriots-tell-gun-owner-to-cover-up/

Peninsula Patriots tell gun owner to cover up Last week I wrote a story about apparently, anti gun actions by the Richmond Tea Party and associated groups. I offered to publish their side unedited. They chose to ignore my offer. As a result, I will not photograph anymore of the Tea party events.
Yesterday, the Peninsula Patriots held their soiree. While inviting gun owners and Pro Second groups, they later asked people legally carrying weapons to put them away or cover up. I did not attend because of the reasons stated above.

One eyewitness said “while the land owners had previously said it was OK to open carry, after we’d been there about a half hour, the land owner came up to us and said that the Peninsula Patriots “Leadership” were not happy with us open carrying and wanted us to either conceal or remove our handguns. We were told the “Leadership” didn’t want us giving the media (one guy) reason to say we were “gun toten’ rednecks”.

Old Virginia is a Rural Affairs Group and while we are solidly behind gunowners and offer any Support we can, leave the gun lobby to the experts at VCDL and GOA. As a group, we don’t have a dog in this fight.
As an individual, I Do! The following response by Tom Robinson is well written, well reasoned and with one glaring exception about classifying people who carry a gun….reasonable. It also smacks of deal making and political wrangling. Because of that I will still refuse to photograph any more rallies and I expect others will follow suit. You can’t pick and choose which parts of the Constitution a PRO CONSTITUTION group will support. It’s a package deal.
Tom Robinson’s response:

Good Morning Don,
I will be happy to answer your question. As an organizer for the Peninsula Patriots, I have been to many meetings, rallies, Tea Parties, Etc, both listening to, and presenting, 2nd Amendment speeches to those attending the events. In virtually EVERY case, a member of the media is present, with photographers, to “catch”
those choosing to openly carry at the events. The story is then changed to make the story about the “GUN” and not our RIGHT to carry one. I carry a gun every day, and have had occasions to use it to protect myself, and others, from certain death. Never, however, have I felt the necessity to display it openly as a “badge of courage”, although I will fight to the death to defend my right, and yours, to do so.

The Peninsula Patriots is a young, and still fragile, conservative movement.. We have already lost a few members who are afraid that we are becoming too vocal about the need to be prepared to use firearms, if necessary, to protect our freedoms. An open display of “gun totin’ Patriots, not Rednecks”, is very unsettling to many Americans, and we can’t afford to alienate current, and potential, members at this crucial time in our movement.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions…
1. Knowing that you have the right to own and carry a weapon virtually anywhere throughout Virginia, WHY do you feel the need to brandish your weapons openly in a friendly, non-threatening, environment? Were you concerned that you were going to be attacked by some unknown alien forces while attending a Patriotic rally?
2. Several of those attending were actually making comical statements about one of your members who felt the need to not only openly carry a fully-loaded, semi-automatic weapon to a conservative rally, but also felt it necessary to carry multiple extra clips and other paraphernalia, just in case we came under a massive attack. Do you not realize that the legal, but inappropriate, “in your face” display of weaponry probably did your, and my, movement more harm than good?
3. To put this in a more logical perspective…Virtually every Virginian, with the exception of felons and nut cases, has the right to openly carry a weapon, so that part is no big deal. It is your license to carry a CONCEALED weapon that sets you apart from those who don’t possess a similar permit. That being said…You may have a fishing license, but do you feel compelled to carry your rod and reel to the movies? You have a license to drive a car, but do you feel it is necessary to park it next to you at church? I could go on and on.
Although I have spent many years in law enforcement internationally, both in counter-terrorism and counter-drug activities, I am also actively involved in marketing and public relations. Knowing the correct time and place to “show your wares”
is a key component in successfully “selling” your products, services and ideas. Presenting your members as “casual commandos”
in yesterday’s friendly, non-threatening setting was clearly “overkill”, and turned many potential members away from your worthy cause.

As a professional in the field of law enforcement I would like to give a little sage advice. Law enforcement agencies train their officers to pay close attention to anyone who feels compelled to openly brandish a loaded weapon in public. Those openly carrying are put in various categories and observed accordingly. 1st. Power trip – The need to present the appearance of power to overcome feelings of inadequacy. 2nd. Need for authority - All too often, those individuals openly carrying weapons wanted to be a police officer with the power, but not the responsibility, that goes with the job. They were rejected for various reasons, usually psychological, followed by obesity, at which point many of them applied for positions as deputy sheriffs, then private security officers…anything that would give them a feeling of power over others. Although I am not accusing any members of your group of fitting into that category, it is a profile observed by most agencies and officers.
Don, I am 100% behind you, and I applaud your continuing efforts to protect our 2nd Amendment rights. I am just trying to use years’
of experience to assist you in waging a just and Holy war against those who would quickly deprive us of our freedoms if given half a chance. HooRah. Keep up the great work you are doing for ALL Americans.

All the best,
Tom

Bubba Ron

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Read Tom Robinson's response very carefully. I won't voice an opinion just yet but he won't be getting any Christmas Hams from Old Va.

http://news.oldva.org/blogroll/peninsula-patriots-tell-gun-owner-to-cover-up/

"... Never, however, have I felt the necessity to display it openly as a “badge of courage”, although I will fight to the death to defend my right, and yours, to do so."

A "badge of courage" ????

"An open display of “gun totin’ Patriots, not Rednecks”, is very unsettling to many Americans, and we can’t afford to alienate current, and potential, members at this crucial time in our movement."

That's just the point of open carrying - to educate the public that it is legal and your right - society has been trained to think otherwise.

"Please allow me to ask you a few questions…
1. Knowing that you have the right to own and carry a weapon virtually anywhere throughout Virginia, WHY do you feel the need to brandish your weapons openly in a friendly, non-threatening, environment? Were you concerned that you were going to be attacked by some unknown alien forces while attending a Patriotic rally?"

When did anyone "brandish" a weapon?? Wearing a holstered firearm is NOT brandishing!!

"2. Several of those attending were actually making comical statements about one of your members who felt the need to not only openly carry a fully-loaded, semi-automatic weapon to a conservative rally, but also felt it necessary to carry multiple extra clips and other paraphernalia, just in case we came under a massive attack. Do you not realize that the legal, but inappropriate, “in your face” display of weaponry probably did your, and my, movement more harm than good?"

Actually, they are magazines, not "clips", why do the police carry extra magazines? Is their safety more important than regular citizens?

"3. To put this in a more logical perspective…Virtually every Virginian, with the exception of felons and nut cases, has the right to openly carry a weapon, so that part is no big deal. It is your license to carry a CONCEALED weapon that sets you apart from those who don’t possess a similar permit."

The Second Amendment has nothing to do with a Concealed Carry Permit, in fact in those days it was considered cowardly to conceal your handgun.

"Law enforcement agencies train their officers to pay close attention to anyone who feels compelled to openly brandish a loaded weapon in public."

Again using the word "brandish", when did that occur yesterday?

"Those openly carrying are put in various categories and observed accordingly. 1st. Power trip – The need to present the appearance of power to overcome feelings of inadequacy. 2nd. Need for authority - All too often, those individuals openly carrying weapons wanted to be a police officer with the power, but not the responsibility, that goes with the job. They were rejected for various reasons, usually psychological, followed by obesity, at which point many of them applied for positions as deputy sheriffs, then private security officers…anything that would give them a feeling of power over others".

How does protecting ones self and family equate to a "power trip" or "need for authority"? This is elitist BS.

"Although I am not accusing any members of your group of fitting into that category, it is a profile observed by most agencies and officers.

Don, I am 100% behind you, and I applaud your continuing efforts to protect our 2nd Amendment rights. I am just trying to use years’
of experience to assist you..."

Assist us????

dbc3804

imported post

Tom Robinson's reply pissed me off more than the original story did. I'm with you Don - Screw Them. The Constituion isn't the Dollar Menu at McDonalds. You take the whole thing.

Danny

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

dbc3804 wrote:
Tom Robinson's reply pissed me off more than the original story did. I'm with you Don - Screw Them. The Constituion isn't the Dollar Menu at McDonalds. You take the whole thing.

Danny
Yep!
If I ever need to hire someone to piss people off, Tom's my man.:lol:

Repeater

imported post

Peter, I don't even know where to begin. I chose to read the whole blog over at Old Va.

I kept seeing Tom misuse the legal term "Brandishing" -- this is disturbing because it is already settled that open-carry is not brandishing.

His "Law Enforcement" mentality is cause for concern when he writes approvingly:

As a professional in the field of law enforcement I would like to give a little sage advice. Law enforcement agencies train their officers to pay close attention to anyone who feels compelled to openly brandish a loaded weapon in public. Those openly carrying are put in various categories and observed accordingly.
He would seem to condone all the bad LEO encounters that OC seems to engender.

He then goes onto to describe those who "carry multiple extra clips and other paraphernalia, just in case we came under a massive attack" as "overkill" -- oh, really?

Finally, I have to wonder how these organizers are apparently allowing those in the media to dictate who may attend and how. This falls under the category of image and perception. That's cowardly. That's also giving those in the media more power than they deserve.

In conclusion, some of these so-called 'Tea Party' groups are a work in progress.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

I've been in a VCDL leadership meeting all day and am just now able to respond to the new information from Tom Robinson that Peter Nap posted.

Tom Robinson has just dug *himself* into a really deep hole with his rant above. (Bubba Ron did a good job in tearing the rant apart and I won't bother with my own analysis.)

In my fairly extensive experience with political events in VA, his fears about the press responding negatively to gun owners at such events have no merit. I have been to many such events open carrying, with no negative comments about the guns there.

VCDL EM Patricia Webb gave a great talk on guns at a Tea Party in Lynchburg a few days ago and was met with nothing but loud applause.:celebrate I wasn't surprised at all and neither was anyone else I know who has been to these events.

The comments that trouble me above, besides Tom's, are those who seem to be now cubbyholing the whole Tea Party movement based on one person's position. :banghead:

Anti-gunners have been doing that to gun owners for years. Some crazy with a gun kills a bunch of people and the anti-gunners then try to paint all gun owners as criminal-wannabes just waiting to cause even more mayhem. That is wrong and unfair and we hate being painted with the same brush as a Cho or Charles Manson.

Let's NOT do the same thing to the Tea Party attendees and the leadership of other Tea Party groups.

Tom made some really bigoted, condescending statements that, besides surprising the hell our of me, have made many justifiably angry with him. That's fine. He's a big boy and is responsible for what he says and does.

But don't hold all the other Tea Party members and leaders accountable for what Tom said.

If the leadership of the Peninsula Patriots agrees with Tom's statements, then hold the leadership of that group responsible. Let's avoid overreacting or over generalizing on this. I repeat that the average tea party attendee is our ally and doesn't share Tom's positions. Yes, some attendees are anti-gun (Tom said he lost a few people because of guns), but very, very, very few percentage wise. And those that you lose over not liking our right to keep and bear arms are not a real loss at all. I think they walked into the Tea Party movement by mistake, with no concept of the big picture and no interest in seeing it.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

VCDL President wrote:
The comments that trouble me above, besides Tom's, are those who seem to be now cubbyholing the whole Tea Party movement based on one person's position. :banghead:

Anti-gunners have been doing that to gun owners for years. Some crazy with a gun kills a bunch of people and the anti-gunners then try to paint all gun owners as criminal-wannabes just waiting to cause even more mayhem. That is wrong and unfair and we hate being painted with the same brush as a Cho or Charles Manson.

Let's NOT do the same thing to the Tea Party attendees and the leadership of other Tea Party groups.

Tom made some really bigoted, condescending statements that, besides surprising the hell our of me, have made many justifiably angry with him. That's fine. He's a big boy and is responsible for what he says and does.

But don't hold all the other Tea Party members and leaders accountable for what Tom said.

If the leadership of the Peninsula Patriots agrees with Tom's statements, then hold the leadership of that group responsible. Let's avoid overreacting or over generalizing on this. I repeat that the average tea party attendee is our ally and doesn't share Tom's positions. Yes, some attendees are anti-gun (Tom said he lost a few people because of guns), but very, very, very few percentage wise. And those that you lose over not liking our right to keep and bear arms are not a real loss at all. I think they walked into the Tea Party movement by mistake, with no concept of the big picture and no interest in seeing it.
As usual, the voice of reason. My most offensive and broad posts have been removed.