• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Essex parents push for stricter gun laws

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

vermonter wrote:
Here is a directquote fromaadvark "IT DOES NOT MATTER IF 'XU' WAS 5 YEARS OLD, 15 YEARS OLD, OR... 75 YEARS OLD, HE MADE THAT DECISION FOR HIMSELF."

Now you tell ME how a 5 year old can make a decision regarding a loaded gun found, brought to him by others, or stolen by someone and then given to him?

Bottom line I am tired of gun owners not taking responsibility for anything and making excuses for these horrible tragedies. Yes, the 15 year old was disturbed. But bottom line whoever owned the gun should have had it locked up if not carried on the person. The RESPONSIBLE gun owner either carries it with a CCW or locks it up when not in use.

I teach CCW and have for 28 years. I am sick of hearing excuses exonerating parents who leave guns around for irresponsible children to handle. The key word is CHILDREN.
I think we would all agree that gun owners should be responsible about storage of our firearms where children are involved.

Parents should also be responsible enough about raising their children and paying enough attention to them that they might notice when something isn't right with their kid.

From what I got from the news story about the kids suicide, The kid was a high academic achiever, accomplished musician and athlete (tennis IIRC). He didn't have any friends to speak of, until the other 2 boys (juvenile delinquents) took up with him. The argument he had with his parents was over the new "buddies" he had.

I would be willing to bet, that this kids parents were so wrapped up in pushing this kid to achieve (not an uncommon thing [but not exclusive to]with Asian families) that they weren't concerned that their sons social lifeand emotional balance was in need of help.

Placing the blame solely on gun owners for this boys death is just another way of shirking responsibility shared by the other parties involved.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

vermonter wrote:
A - Here is a directquote fromaadvark "IT DOES NOT MATTER IF 'XU' WAS 5 YEARS OLD, 15 YEARS OLD, OR... 75 YEARS OLD, HE MADE THAT DECISION FOR HIMSELF."

B - Now you tell ME how a 5 year old can make a decision regarding a loaded gun found, brought to him by others, or stolen by someone and then given to him?

C - Bottom line I am tired of gun owners not taking responsibility for anything and making excuses for these horrible tragedies. Yes, the 15 year old was disturbed. But bottom line whoever owned the gun should have had it locked up if not carried on the person. The RESPONSIBLE gun owner either carries it with a CCW or locks it up when not in use.

D - I teach CCW and have for 28 years. I am sick of hearing excuses exonerating parents who leave guns around for irresponsible children to handle. The key word is CHILDREN.
A - The quote is somewhat rhetorical don't you think. He did make the choice.

B - Already answered. There is NO 5 year old involved.

C - So who here do you wish to blame? All would agree that someone should have been responsible enough to have the gun secured.

D - How do you know that a parent left the gun available? Who is exonerating anyone? Agree that whether a child or an adult is harmed someone should have been more responsible, but really you are beating the choir.

Understand your anger/frustration/helplessness but no one here contributed by word or deed to this pointless tragedy.

The keys are education and responsibility no matter what the age.

Yata hey

aadvark

imported post

At 15 I knew about Firearms and Gun Safety, and I am still here.

In fact, I had a healthy respect for Firearms ever since I can remember.

Even when I was a Child I knew better than mess with anyones Gun, but I also knew how to use them because I was taught.

There was never any need to 'lock-up' Guns in our Home, but then again, no one in our Home felt they needed to kill themselves.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

If it only save one child.............how many times have we heard that?

Lock up the guns - save the child - false sense of security.

Forget that there will be countless lives lost due to the time and accessibility factors involved as a result. Look at they situation in England now as a prime example.

Teach the child - save the child - trust the honest citizen.

The choice is yours. Do the right thing - educate them, young and old.

Yata hey

aadvark

imported post

Alright GrapeShot I have a Question...Why do you put 'Yata Hey' after every Article of yours concerning Firearms?

I am just Curious.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

aadvark wrote:
Alright GrapeShot I have a Question...Why do you put 'Yata Hey' after every Article of yours concerning Firearms?

I am just Curious.
Two reasons - its like a hand of friendship and its a war cry.

It comes from the Lakota Sioux expression meaning literally "It's a great day for dying." Intended to make a statement in battle, strike fear into your enemies and willingness to accept your fate. Too, if it is a good day to die, must not it be a good day to live?

In more common (daily) usage it is as a greeting or salutation not unlike "hello/goodbye, have a good day." Is is casual and friendly.

The difference is easy to discern - my facial expression and the timber of my voice will tell all. :D

Yata hey