• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

permit ??

POORBOY

imported post

I have a friend that lives down in soddy daisey and he was wanting to know whats involved in getting a concealed permit. for that great vol state

hi im drummer03

imported post

As posted above.

although,if you dont have proper training or know the areas and keeping the attention down as some people notice.On the other hand some dont.

Kaliga

imported post

Is the NRA Pistol Certification meet requirements for a safety handgun coarse in TN inorder to obtain a CHP? Thanks

Josh

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I don't think so, but maybe it is.

TCA 39-17-1351

[align=justify](e) The department shall also require an applicant to submit proof of the successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course. Any form created by the department to show proof of the successful completion of a department approved handgun safety course shall not require the applicant to provide the applicant's social security number. Any instructor of a department approved handgun safety course shall not withhold proof of the successful completion of the course solely on the fact the applicant did not disclose the applicant's social security number. The course shall include both classroom hours and firing range hours. An applicant shall not be required to comply with the firing range and classroom hours requirements of this subsection (e) if the applicant submits proof to the department that within five (5) years from the date the application for a handgun carry permit is filed the applicant has:[/align]

[align=justify] (1) Been certified by the peace officer standards and training commission;[/align]

[align=justify] (2) Successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy;[/align]

[align=justify] (3) Successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guard/officer registration, pursuant to § 62-35-118(b); or[/align]

[align=justify] (4) Successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.[/align]

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Kaliga wrote:
Is the NRA Pistol Certification meet requirements for a safety handgun coarse in TN inorder to obtain a CHP? Thanks

Josh

I believe the safety course has to be certified by the state.

I was going to try to get certified as an instructer and found that I would need to get a NRA pistol instructer certificate that would have to be submitted to the state to get state certified before I could teach a safety course for the HCP license.

I think you can also get state certified as an instructer if you are certified as suchvia being aLE or Military firearms trainer.

Bottom line, your safety course certificate has to come from a state certified training course or instructer, I think.

Kaliga

imported post

You are right. I did some more study as well. I can use my NRA Pistol Instructor papers and submit to the state and become a certified TN Instructor. Seems like a pretty easy step. I am having to jump through hoops to become an Instructor in NC. I got one more class in March to take then I can apply for my NC Instructor status. I live in NC but am currently in Nashville and may be here for maybe six months. So I thought I might get my TN CHP Instructor status here. The office that I would be apply to is here in Nashville so I could go in person. We'll see though. Thanks for every ones input.

Josh