• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: My car was stolen

FMCDH

imported post

Batousaii wrote:
I am a Honda freak .. I can install, or tell how to install a little switch that makes the car almost impossible to steal. One method that i like, is to cut power (via a switch) to the coil... The thief will kill the battery in an effort to steal the car.. the whirring of the engine is a good indicator that you should check the car, but it just ...wont...start...

- Sorry to hear about your car.. it happened to me once before, thus came the secret switch.

:(Bato
Same here.

I had someone try to steal my Civic quite a few years ago, but it was equipped with a tamper immobilizer switch. The attempted thief pulled open the steering column and attempted to hot-wire the ignition, but much to his surprise, his very act of messing with the wires made the car useless.

He did about 400 dollars worth of damage in all that was covered by insurance, and took everything out of my trunk of any value (that wasn't covered by insurance), but the car was fixed in two days and good as new.

Every car I have had since has had an immobilizer of one kind or another, and an alarm. Hard target is the name of the game. Make them go elsewhere is about all you can do.

If I came upon someone breaking into my car? I would have to agree with HankT on this one. Bring as much attention to the situation as possible from a safe distance. He will either run, attack or ignore me.

If he runs, all the better. Il get some pictures with my video phone if possible.

If he attacks, then I have a gun to deal with that one way or another.

If he just ignores me, then HELL, I should REALLY get some good footage with my video phone! LOL.

"Hey, smile for the camera dumb-ass! I'll just let you work on bypassing that immobilizer while I call the cops and get some good footage." ;)

James06

imported post

Well im happy to inform I got my car back it was in the aprtments across the street from me. The crooks left several dirty clothes in my car and some fast food wrappers.

They also took my radio and cut my battery cords and stole my battery which i had just bought...:(

well at least its not damaged otherwise but it does smell kinda funky though.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

You'd all be surprised just how many stolen cars are recovered within a few blocks of where they were taken.

Seems some folks find it easier to just boost a car instead of waiting for the bus whn they need to run an errand.

Manu

imported post

ShooterMcGavin wrote:
James06 wrote:
...it was in the aprtments across the street from me...

Sometimes, I forget where I parked my car too. It's ok to admit it :p

Yes, I'm joking. Very glad to hear that you got your car back!!

That has happened to me too many times specially when I am at costco or sams club, I literally walk to every lane to figure out where my car is at?:D. I tried to remember next which car I am parking, But silly people move their cars to just bother me and wandering in parking lot :p

Metalhead47

imported post

Manu wrote:
ShooterMcGavin wrote:
James06 wrote:

That has happened to me too many times specially when I am at costco or sams club, I literally walk to every lane to figure out where my car is at?:D. I tried to remember next which car I am parking, But silly people move their cars to just bother me and wandering in parking lot :p
There's an easy solution to that. Just get yourself a nice big truck, lift it & but great huge tires on. Has always worked great for me, makes it real easy to spot across a sea of Priuses (Priii?), plus it makes loading that Costco six pack of 100-gallon mayo jars that much easier :D

Manu

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Manu wrote:
ShooterMcGavin wrote:
James06 wrote:

There's an easy solution to that. Just get yourself a nice big truck, lift it & but great huge tires on. Has always worked great for me, makes it real easy to spot across a sea of Priuses (Priii?), plus it makes loading that Costco six pack of 100-gallon mayo jars that much easier :D
I know... My car even hides behind Toyota Prii. But I do not want Big truck either reason being I already have BIG ego:p.... joking

Metalhead47

imported post

Kildars wrote:
Sad that this is what the world's come to. That guy saved the tax payers untold million$ of keeping that scum alive in prison off & on for the rest of its life, AND did society the great favor of preventing any (further) breeding by the waste, and he's the one who ends up in jail, and the greater insult of "admitting :banghead:" he did wrong (he didn't).

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Here's the most disturbing part....

Prosecutors said a deal was made with Sheets instead of going to trial because a jury may have found Sheets not guilty.

So instead of having a jury decide he didnt commit a crime, they wanted to make sure he was convicted..

I'd file an appeal on that statement alone, citing prosecutor misconduct.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Kildars wrote:
You can't really file an appeal on a guilty plea.

It's happened before, bad attorneys improper representation, etc...

Not saying it'd work, but still...

He got shafted..

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Kildars wrote:
Sad that this is what the world's come to. That guy saved the tax payers untold million$ of keeping that scum alive in prison off & on for the rest of its life, AND did society the great favor of preventing any (further) breeding by the waste, and he's the one who ends up in jail, and the greater insult of "admitting :banghead:" he did wrong (he didn't).
Just more proof of the wussification of this country and more proof this country is going to a very bad place very fast...