• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What does "Loaded" mean?

thelongone13

imported post

Hello all, I am relatively new to the Open Carry world and I have a question for all of you. I searched and couldn't come up with what I was looking for. What does the word "Loaded" in relating to forearms mean? The WI state statutes aren't that clear on this. What I am looking for is if I have to unload my magazines after work (I'm a rent-a-cop soon to go through armed training) before I drive home if the mags are not going to be IN the gun? Can I load my mags at home, plop them and the gun in their respective SEPARATE compartments in my case, plop the case in the car (trunk) and then drive off to work? At the moment, I just keep the mags empty due to the my lack of knowledge on the subject. Thanks, and keep up the good fight!

Woodchuck

imported post

WELCOME

Always good to see new ones join the cause.

Wisconsin is pretty clear on this.

Under State Statute 176.31 Safe use and transportation of firearms and bows.

(g)“Unloaded” means; Having no shell or cartridge in the chamber of a firearm or in the magazine attached to a firearm.

You can have a loaded magazine in the same case as gun just not in the gun while in the case.

I carry 2 loaded mags in the same small pistol case as my gun, no separate compartments or separate cases, all in the same. It is perfectly legal so long as a round is not in the chamber or the loaded mag isn't attached to the gun.

gollbladder13

imported post

According to the case for my Glock, when the trigger is forward, the gun could be loaded. That in my mind says that when it's back, it can't be. Then again, 99.99999% of people will tell you that even with a mag in the gun and an empty chamber means it's loaded.

Most people here will tell you to keep the mag out of the gun. That's what I do, and seem,s to work well. It's a PITA, but it works.

Welcome to the forum!

thelongone13

imported post

Woodchuck wrote:
WELCOME

Always good to see new ones join the cause.

Wisconsin is pretty clear on this.

Under State Statute 176.31 Safe use and transportation of firearms and bows.

(g)“Unloaded” means; Having no shell or cartridge in the chamber of a firearm or in the magazine attached to a firearm.

You can have a loaded magazine in the same case as gun just not in the gun while in the case.
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I know, a firearm is ALWAYS loaded, which is safety tip number one... Had a friend die that way due to some idiot years ago. Idiot said "It's not loaded!" and pulled the trigger while it was aimed at her head. Anyway, I guess I CAN have the mags loaded... That was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you VERY much.

Woodchuck

imported post

gollbladder13 wrote:
Then again, 99.99999% of people will tell you that even with a mag in the gun and an empty chamber means it's loaded.

Most people here will tell you to keep the mag out of the gun.  That's what I do, and seem,s to work well.  It's a PITA, but it works.

Welcome to the forum!

Not most people, STATE LAW

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gollbladder13 wrote:
According to the case for my Glock, when the trigger is forward, the gun could be loaded. That in my mind says that when it's back, it can't be. Then again, 99.99999% of people will tell you that even with a mag in the gun and an empty chamber means it's loaded.

Most people here will tell you to keep the mag out of the gun. That's what I do, and seem,s to work well. It's a PITA, but it works.

Welcome to the forum!
I believe, and have tested with a snap-cap, that you can place a round in the chamber of a Glock while disassembled and reassemble it with the round in the chamber and the gun uncocked. I would NEVER recommend doing this but it is the only way I know of to get a Glock in to something that resembles condition 2.

A mag in the gun and an empty chamber is loaded. That would be condition 3.

For anyone not versed in the conditions of carry that info can be found here

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_8_46/ai_63772593/

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

From the 2009 Wisconsin Deer hunting regulations. Page 17.

"Note: Firearms are considered unloaded if the shell or cartridge is removed from the chamber and the magazine of a firearm, any clip, magazine or cylinder attached to the firearm; the cap is removed from a percussion muzzleloader; the flashpan is cleaned of powder from a flintlock muzzleloader; or the powder and projectile is removed from the barrel of an electronic muzzleloader."