• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lookin for to buy a black powder, "parade gun"

1245A Defender

imported post

allready see at cabelas they got a 44 cal old army that would be just fine. for 130$.

i think it would be good for rallies and tea parties to dress as old patriot, with old black powder on one side, with new tech, modern side armon the other side to show the timelessness of the "right to keep and bear arms" for all to see!

maybe a six shooter is too modern for this comparrison, but i dont want to carry a single shot. that would be toorisky!

Metalhead47

imported post

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
allready see at cabelas they got a 44 cal old army that would be just fine. for 130$.

i think it would be good for rallies and tea parties to dress as old patriot, with old black powder on one side, with new tech, modern side armon the other side to show the timelessness of the "right to keep and bear arms" for all to see!

maybe a six shooter is too modern for this comparrison, but i dont want to carry a single shot. that would be toorisky!
What's it matter if you're also carrying a modern sidearm for actual defense? The cap & ball revolver didn't come on the scene till nearly a century after the first revolution.

Now if you were dressing the part I think you could get away with OCing a musket or flintlock rifle, THAT would be sweet :celebrate

Hammer

imported post

PM me, I have a couple cap & ball shooters to part with. One .44, one .36

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
SNIP The cap & ball revolver didn't come on the scene till nearly a century after the first revolution.

Just a little tune-up on the history for readers. Not even particularly intended as a contradiction.

Revolution: 1776-1781 (7 years, inclusive)

First cap-and-ball revolver: Colt Paterson 1836

1781-1836 = 55 years.

Colt Paterson revolver: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Paterson

Colt Walker revolver: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_Colt

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
SNIP The cap & ball revolver didn't come on the scene till nearly a century after the first revolution.
1781-1836 = 55 years.
Hence the disclaimer, "nearly" *smack*:lol:

Lemme come and work "nearly" an eight hour day for you. :):p

Or, buy some of your nicer guns at "nearly" fair-market value. :):p

1245A Defender

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:

Just a little tune-up on the history for readers. Not even particularly intended as a contradiction.

Revolution: 1776-1781 (7 years, inclusive)

First cap-and-ball revolver: Colt Paterson 1836

1781-1836 = 55 years.

Colt Paterson revolver: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Paterson

Colt Walker revolver: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_Colt

now im seein that i need a flint lock! (damn history!!)

thinkin about building my own, new tools, old tech.

Hillmann

imported post

Do a search for middlesex village trading company they seem to specalize in reproduction early smooth bores. The also have SXS flintlock pistols if you need more than one shot. I have there DBL BBL 20 gauge flintlock. When I got it it had few problems and they had it repaired and back to me in a week. I have thought of going to a tea party with it for the same reason. If you go with a flintlock you have to use real black powder(good luck finding it) and also I found that it is easer to use the same powder(grain size) for both the load and prime(buying ffffg for prime is a waist of money expecaly if you are in a humid area.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I shoot competetively with Sharps and Hiwall BP cartridge. 4 matches a month ( 160 rounds plus sighters, and practice time) at 100 rounds per pound of powder it does not take long to burn 50# and then there is hunting season.....

jeeper1

imported post

That's a heap of shooting. I don't even come close to that with my cannons, mortars and flare launchers.