• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello

Spideynw

imported post

Hello everyone. I am new to the site, and pretty new to guns. I owned a .22 rifle once a long time ago. I heard about this group about a year ago, but only recently have become interested in wanting to get a handgun and to open carry. I guess it is just how life goes (I have recently become very interested in exercising my "rights").

I live in Kearns. My wife and I are planning on getting handguns this year, probably giving them to each other for Christmas. I cannot wait. I am so excited to start open carrying.

This looks like a pretty fun group. I hope that we can come out to one of your meetups and meet everyone. We do have a two year old, so we may not get out until next year. But we will definitely start open carrying as soon as we get our handguns.

Any suggestions on what kind of handguns we should get, and where we should get them from would be much appreciated.

thx997303

imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

Why would a 2 year old keep you from attending one of the meets?

SGT Jensen and Packingmama bring their children when they come out, as do many others including myself.

My daughter was still a tiny baby when we went to one the first time.

As for a handgun, you really can't go wrong with one of the more well known brands.

Smith and Wesson makes good semi autos in their M&P line.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=40302

Glock makes very reliable pistols.

http://www.glock.com/

Springfield Armory makes some great pistols in their XD line, as well as their 1911s

http://www.springfield-armory.com/

of course, if you don't mind some higher prices, Kimber, Sig Sauer, and H&K all are good pistols.

Though H&K seems to have bad customer service.

Then there are Taurus pistols, less expensive, though sometimes require some TLC to get working properly.

Ruger pistols are good, but holsters for them are not found too often.

Hope this helps.

Spideynw

imported post

Thank you very much for the information!

Our two year old pretty much just refuses to obey us, and is probably one of the most inquisitive kids you will ever meet. She has no fear of running off to investigate her world. And if we try to stop her, she screams as loud as possible, which is pretty loud.

Should I worry at all about buying a used gun from ksl.com or a pawn shop?

thx997303

imported post

As far as buying used, no problem, but the prices of guns on ksl is usually 5 dollars cheaper than new. If you find a good deal, go for it, but inspect it as well as you can.

For someone not used to guns, it may just be a better idea to buy new.

scorpioajr

imported post

Spideynw wrote:
...Should I worry at all about buying a used gun from ksl.com or a pawn shop?
Welcome to OCDO :celebrate

I love ksl classifieds. So many guns in one spot. All my experiences buying and selling firearms with ksl has been positive.

Good luck - carry often

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Welcome to OCDO

I live in Kearns as well. If their is any questions or issue I am really not that far away.

Always helps to open carry with another person

Zachary
801-448-7574

Spideynw

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
Welcome to OCDO

I live in Kearns as well. If their is any questions or issue I am really not that far away.

Always helps to open carry with another person

Zachary
801-448-7574
Awesome! We live pretty close to the Wal-Mart. Have you or anyone else open carried there?

Utah_Patriot

imported post

One other person that I know of I live pretty close to the Newspaper building. So you will probably see me at Wal-Mart a lot. Also on the M/C a lot I have a 77 Goldwing with a full faring.

bmeldrum

imported post

Welcom to OCDO! It'd be a good idea for you to brush up on the law... helpful to carry the pamphlet (see link below)&review the various threads in this forum or talk to fellow open carriers. It'd be wise (if you haven't already) & that's to take the class & obtain your concealed weapons permit!

As for Wal-mart, well thathas beentouch and go. Sometimes no problem when others might have a problem. For the most part individuals of this grouphave contacted the store managers/district managersetc and have educated them on the open carry laws (this is done on a continual basis to all places/businesses who are not familiar with the laws). Now whether that info gets passed down to the clerks or store greeters is another story. Also there will always be that one person who'll be ignorant to the laws& complain to the manager or even call the LE's. Personally never had a bad experience at Wally world! If asked to leave do some immediately.

http://freeutah.org/docs/UtahGunLaw2009st.pdf: I quote "while it is your right to carry a firearm openly in public (unloaded for non permit holders), by doing so you put yourself at risk of being harassed by members of the public and even law enforcement who may be ignorant of Utah's gun laws. You could even be arrested on bogus "disturbing the peace" charges. If asked to leave a private business, you must leave or you can be charged with trespassing".

main things to remember: 1) carry open (not concealed unless you have a permit then do as you please), 2) carry Utah "un-loaded" (not having a round in the chamberetc-two actions away from firing), 3) avoid Uta/trax, 4) avoid school zones (1000ft). Than even if you have a permit also avoid: post offices, any secure facility: court house, prison, secure part of airport etc, evensome federal properties...

if you don't know ask... (stand your ground especially when dealing with LE's, don't feel intimidated etc:eek:thers have said be polite yet firm)

Good luck! Happy carrying!

bmeldrum

imported post

Spideynw wrote:

Our two year old pretty much just refuses to obey us, and is probably one of the most inquisitive kids you will ever meet. She has no fear of running off to investigate her world. And if we try to stop her, she screams as loud as possible, which is pretty loud.

I hope this doesn't come across as or sound rude or offend (I'm sure you're both great parents) but they do have classesto help parents be well, parents. My wife & I have both taken classes to help us be better parents... some thing to thing about

Spideynw

imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
Spideynw wrote:

I hope this doesn't come across as or sound rude or offend (I'm sure you're both great parents) but they do have classesto help parents be well, parents. My wife & I have both taken classes to help us be better parents... some thing to thing about
ROFL. No, I am not offended. She is actually a really good child, 99% of the time. We actually took her to Costco this weekend, and she was perfect.

I could definitely use learning more about children. I never really understood the whole, "don't play with your food". I definitely understand it now.

thx997303

imported post

Eh, Costco is like wal mart in that they might ask you to leave, they might not.

However, Costco is membership based, and IIRC they have a no firearms clause in their membership agreement.

Spideynw

imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Eh, Costco is like wal mart in that they might ask you to leave, they might not.

However, Costco is membership based, and IIRC they have a no firearms clause in their membership agreement.
Hopefully I can help convince them that criminals will ignore their rules and that it is beneficial to them to let law abiding people bring guns into their establishment.

Spideynw

imported post

So, my wife's friend at work is suggesting we get .357's. What do you all think? Is that good for a first handgun? He said that the ammo is pretty inexpensive. After looking at some of the handguns, I am thinking we would probably need to spend $500-$700 per handgun. What do you all think? Oh, and do you have any suggestions for stores to buy them at?

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Spideynw wrote:
Any recommendations then?
Welcome.

My recommendation is NOT to buy a first handgun until you've actually done some shooting with some handguns. The NRA and other instructors offer various first time shooting classes in which you can get some exposure to shooting different handguns, both revolvers and semiauto. Some shooting ranges have rentals available. You can also ask a friend to take you shooting and let you try his guns.

There are so many different makes and models and calibers of guns it is really impossible to give a decent recommendations over the internet. Shooting experience and ability, hand size, body build, intended use, and simple personal taste all factor in. Until you have shot at least 3 or 4 different guns you simply cannot make an informed decision.

I would also highly suggest taking a Utah concealed permit course. Even if you don't want or for some reason don't qualify for the permit, the course is very helpful. It focuses primarily on legal use of the gun which may be an issue eventually regardless of how you carry. It also covers off limit locations (bigger issue without a permit than with, even if you choose to OC).

And with a child in the house, please be sure to get an appropriate gun safe of some kind BEFORE bringing the guns and ammo (and holsters) home.

All the best.

Charles

leeland

imported post

Spideynw wrote:
After looking at some of the handguns, I am thinking we would probably need to spend $500-$700 per handgun. What do you all think? Oh, and do you have any suggestions for stores to buy them at?
I don't want to come across as spamming the forums with ads, but I re-iterate my offer to sell to anyone that plans to OC at my dealer cost. Just to give you an idea:
*Springfield 1911 (SPB9108LP Mil-spec 45ACP, 7rd 5"Bbl, fixed sights, parkerized finish, wood grips) -- $530.00
*Springfield XD9 (SPXD9101HC06 9mm, 16rd, 4"Bbl, fixed sights, block polymer frame) -- $434.00
*Springfield XD(M) (SPXDM9202HC 40S&W, 16rd, 4.5"Bbl, fixed sights, black polymer frame) -- $550.00

These would be NIB and I'd have to do a background check. My only stipulation is that you don't just turn around and flip them on KSL for a quick buck (if I was in it for the money, I'd sell them myself on KSL). I'm only offering this as a small way to help promote OC in Utah and help the fine folks on the forum.

PS. If you find someplace selling these cheaper then please tell me so I can find out who they buy from and lower my costs.