• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Financial support for arrested open-carriers

SAK

imported post

I started a group over a year ago called the Gun Owners Fellowship. The idea is to have gun owners across the country band together to support one another should a member face harassment, wrongful arrest, false charges, etc. And in the most severe case, should a member actually ever have to USE a firearm in self-defense and face possible criminal/civil liability, the Fellowship kicks into action immediately.

The way this works is you have to be an active member BEFORE anything happens, so unfortunately you can't join after the fact to get support. We did ONE TIME support someone who joined afterward, but that was at the generosity of the members. We had a membership drive and fundraiser for that individual and raised about $2,000. But from here on out we will only support people who join ahead of time.

The only other requirements are 1) Member OBVIOUSLY has to be qualified by law to own a gun 2) Member must be responsible and therefore not engaged in any criminal or negligent behavior 3) Don't put yourself in situation where you know you will be arrested 4) Cooperate with Fellowship administration after you make your request for help

Pretty straight-forward. We would even support members in incidents where they arguably violated some draconian technicality (such as the concealed vs. unloaded/encased in vehicle conundrum in Wisconsin). We only care that the member didn't commit a real crime with a victim.

I know what's going on in WI with the open carry movement - I want to help out as much as possible which is why I'm trying to use ICarry.org to promote it. I love seeing people exercise their rights within the law even if it means possible harassment and persecution/prosecution. I've been hoping for 4+ years now that Wisconsin would get the open carry movement going, and it looks like it finally has!!!

So I would invite all responsible members here to consider joining the Gun Owners Fellowship and if you ever need its support you will have it. We have a lot of members from all over the country who are ready and willing to pitch in if the authorities up there won't respect your rights.

http://www.gunownersfellowship.com

SAK

imported post

I'm sure we have some people from Wisconsin already - dunno if they are open carriers or not. We've been around one year though and have had 0 members request assistance. So I'd say that's pretty good. I don't want anyone to get in trouble, but the other part of me is anxious to test it out though. The first one will be a learning experience for me too. I'm lucky to have extensive experience in the legal system though.