• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Northern Virginia Veterans Day OC Lunch

Regular_Joe

imported post

It would be very cool to celebrate Veterans Day 2009 by exercising the very American right to bear arms, to celebrate that which so many heroes sacrificed to preserve and protect.

Is there a Veterans Day OC event already planned for the northern Virginia area?

(Most government and public school locations should be closed, so that should help make for an OC-friendly day!) ;)

How about the LongHorn Steakhouse in Chantilly?

We could plan this for the day before, 10 November, if a non-holiday would be better.

nova

imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
It would be very cool to celebrate Veterans Day 2009 by exercising the very American right to bear arms, to celebrate that which so many heroes sacrificed to preserve and protect.

Is there a Veterans Day OC event already planned for the northern Virginia area?

(Most government and public school locations should be closed, so that should help make for an OC-friendly day!) ;)

We could plan this for the day before, 10 November, if a non-holiday would be better.
I love LongHorn.

Regular_Joe

imported post

nova wrote:
Regular_Joe wrote:

I love LongHorn.
Can you make a lunch there on this day?

bohdi

imported post

Typically McCormick and Schmidts (sp?) has a "free" lunch in Tysons. All they ask is that you take care of the wait staff...Done it two times already....

nova

imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
nova wrote:
Regular_Joe wrote:

I love LongHorn.
Can you make a lunch there on this day?
I would but I have no idea if I'll be in town that far down the road...with my work load I really have no idea what I'll be up to even next weekend. :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
bohdi wrote:
Typically McCormick and Schmidts (sp?) has a "free" lunch in Tysons. All they ask is that you take care of the wait staff...Done it two times already....
Free to OC'ers?
Free to veterans - a way of thanking them for their service.

Yata hey

AbNo

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Regular_Joe wrote:
bohdi wrote:
Free to OC'ers?
Free to veterans - a way of thanking them for their service.

Yata hey
Oh really now? I may have to check them out. :)

Harper1227

imported post

Riana wrote:
Did this idea die? No, I'm not willing to organize it, but I'm more than willing to show up. :cool:

If yous (ya'll) go to Tyson's I can make it. I actually have to work this veteran's day but I can take a long lunch. I'm down if any body else is.

So M&S at Tysons?November 11. Time?

Harper1227

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:

Thanks Nakedshoplifter for the heads up. So, that would be a sunday. Anyone interested.

Note, their website says "in an effort to accommodate as many Veterans as possible, restaurants will not be able to seat parties larger than 6."

Reservations required.

may not be able to do a big OC lunch due to the small party number- Hubby and I plus kids are already 4. But maybe we'll just see each other there :)

IanB

imported post

FYI: Golden Corral has their appreciation dinner onMonday Nov 16. No reservation required and it's not limited to Vets, active duty are welcome as well.

We (OCDO) go every year. I work in DC so the earliest I can get out there is about 6pm. If anyone else wants to join me you're more than welcome! Since I'm driving directly from DC I will not be carrying.

Golden Corral
10801 BULLOCH DRIVE
Manassas VA

AbNo

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
FYI: Golden Corral has their appreciation dinner onMonday Nov 16. No reservation required and it's not limited to Vets, active duty are welcome as well.

We (OCDO) go every year. I work in DC so the earliest I can get out there is about 6pm. If anyone else wants to join me you're more than welcome! Since I'm driving directly from DC I will not be carrying.

Golden Corral
10801 BULLOCH DRIVE
Manassas VA
Don't suppose anyone wants to go to the one in Harrisonburg, do they? :)

Regular_Joe

imported post

Riana wrote:
Did this idea die? No, I'm not willing to organize it, but I'm more than willing to show up. :cool:
I don't mind organizing it - small price to pay for the huge benefit I have gained from OCDO. :)

Question: Do we want to go forward with the lunch @ Chantilly Longhorn (http://www.longhornsteakhouse.com/locator/map.asp?RestaurantID=5222) on 11/10 or 11/11?

Or, just meet for dinner @ Manassas Golden Corral (http://maps.yahoo.com/map?q1=10801%20BULLOCH%20DRIVE%20MANASSAS%2CVA%20us&mag=5&ard=1#mvt=m&lat=38.803822&lon=-77.522805&mag=5&zoom=14&q1=10801%20BULLOCH%20DRIVE%20MANASSAS%2CVA%20us&gid1=12410232) on 11/16?

(Edited: And why aren't there URL embedding tags in the edit controls like there are for images, multimedia objects...?!?)

Riana

imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
Riana wrote:
I don't mind organizing it - small price to pay for the huge benefit I have gained from OCDO. :)

Question: Do we want to go forward with the lunch @ Chantilly Longhorn on 11/10 or 11/11?

Or, just meet for dinner @ Manassas Golden Corral on 11/16?
I'm up for either. I think Golden Corral tends to be a bit more economical for families, and there's a minimum of whining from people about what they can have (since GC has just about everything). Downside is, it may (probably will be) quite crowded, if it's their free-dinner-for-vets night, and when it's crowded, it gets loud.

I've OC'd there without a problem, though. If we choose GC, we should try and get a head-count early, and reserve an area if we can.

Regular_Joe

imported post

Riana wrote:
Regular_Joe wrote:
Riana wrote:

Question: Do we want to go forward with the lunch @ Chantilly Longhorn on 11/10 or 11/11?

Or, just meet for dinner @ Manassas Golden Corral on 11/16?
I'm up for either. I think Golden Corral tends to be a bit more economical for families, and there's a minimum of whining from people about what they can have (since GC has just about everything). Downside is, it may (probably will be) quite crowded, if it's their free-dinner-for-vets night, and when it's crowded, it gets loud.

I've OC'd there without a problem, though. If we choose GC, we should try and get a head-count early, and reserve an area if we can.
My wife and I would visit the local Golden Corral on Veterans Day before it closed down - very crowded, but very cool for our kids to see veterans from WWII mixed in with the kids that just returned from Iraq/Afghanistan!

It did get crazy loud and crowded, though...

IanB

imported post

Is Longhorn giving away free food? Sorry to sound cheap, but I'm seeing nothing about Veteran appreciation on their site.

I don't think GC makes reservations. And it does get crowded and noisy there on Veterans night.