Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bridgeport Taco Bell incident

Post imported post

I decided that instead of posting about this incident in "List Your Open Carry Experiences" thread and clog that up I'd just start a new discussion for updates.

From the top:

On September 5th 2009, shortly after 12 noon, I and my companion stopped in at the Taco Bell restaurant located in Bridgeport Michigan. After placing our order and handing the gentleman behind the counter.. who took our order a $20 bill for payment.. the gentleman asked if I were a police officer. I told him I was not and that I am a private citizen. The gentleman then informed me that he, and I quote: "can't have that in my restaurant" in reference to my legally openly carried pistol. At that point I extended my hand and the gentleman returned my $20 bill and I told him, and I quote: "That is your right as a property owner." and I and my companion immediately left.

During this entire incident everyone, myself, my companion, and the gentleman behind the counter, were polite. There were no threats made, physical or verbal, by anyone.

I called the customer service phone number on Taco Bell's website and spoke with a representative describing the incident and requesting Taco Bell's policy on legally carried guns. The representative told me the area manager responsible for the Bridgeport Michigan Taco Bell restaurant would contact me in 3 days. I left my phone number with that customer service representative during that phone conversation.

--I called Taco Bell customer service again on September 14th, 2009 since no one had contacted me within the 3 days they said would pass and the representative said they would set up a second contact within another 3 days. And if I'm still not contacted to call again and they would kick it higher up the management ladder.

I said that if I'm not contacted within 3 days I will send a hard copy letter to the President of Taco Bell. The representative suddenly was animated in her reply that she would add that notation to my complaint.

--9-18 I called customer service once again since I had not been contacted as yet. Discovered the phone number they had entered as my phone number was incorrect. They had 981 for an area code when it should have been 989. So perhaps Taco Bell has tried to contact me all along. I'll wait another 3 days (this coming Thursday or I might wait until Friday to be generous) to be contacted and go from there.

--However... regardless of what Taco Bell's policy is concerning the legal carry of guns... concealed or openly in plain sight.. I am going to request a hard copy letter on Taco Bell letterhead stationary stating that policy be sent to me via snail mail.

Also... if it happens that Taco Bell's policy is favorable to the legal carry of guns... concealed and/or openly... I will request a hard copy letter signed by the manager of the Bridgeport restaurant inviting me personally by my name to patronize that restaurant before I step foot on that particular property again.

No guarantees they will honor my requests... or even follow up.

--So there it stands as of today.. I'll add updates as they happen.

Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Must not be a Corp. policy 'cause I OC in the Taco Bell near the house without incident numerous times.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Doesn't count, you look like a cop.

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    Doesn't count, you look like a cop.
    *sniff sniff* smells like bacon.....

Post imported post

Yeah Ismoid, you do look like a cop. And as THway pointed out you smell like bacon too. Must be why all the dogs love to come up and get friendly with ya.

Radioman

Post imported post

Well I don't look like a COP and OC into Taco Bell & Burger King on Merriman Rd & Cherry Hill. But I agree....he does look like a cop....:P
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Post imported post

Thats right by my house

Post imported post

Your right around the corner from me...

Post imported post

So should I change avatars?

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Modified for your use.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

check this one

Post imported post

I'm not a lefty.

Post imported post

Is this better?....LOL

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Ok, now you can change that avatar.springerdave.

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Alright guys, we've all had our little laugh now, but this is getting to be a fine line. Remember, we are supposed to be citizen role models here.
    United we STAND!

Post imported post

Hey Jeff,

What ever happened with the cops ripping you off your porch for OCing?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

LOL. In addition, I cannot imagine Taco Bell corporation would have any type of policy. That type of complaint would be handled, as would be the policy, but the owner of the particular franchise.

With regards to looking like a cop, I got a feeling most people who do not know me presume this as well, but I have never been asked. I carry a large (FRACKING HUGE) old P110 Motorola radio in the knife pocket of my carpenter jeans for the fire department, with an equally large and noticeable antennae. Then theres of course also the large red light and siren on my car, lol. Locals know what the light is for, but when walking around town or in a business, the hip holster is directly above the radio. It's not that I am trying to look like one, it is just the only way I can carry that radio, the normal clip belt holster keeps breaking, most likely due to my girth and how I get into my vehicle

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    Hey Jeff,

What ever happened with the cops ripping you off your porch for OCing?
    Yea, I think I made some comment about pastries back then, maybe I shouldn't talk.

As far as doing something about it, I sort of let it ride to see what the future would bring. Since then, I has a verbal stand-off with the reserves, an incident of no interactions with the regular force as well as the reserves that stood down (boy it was great to see them watch the regulars do what they were supposed to), and another incident recently on my porch again.

This time though, they were there to tell me I can't use the land I own and pay taxes on to park my vehicle while my driveway is limited in accessibility due to the city's street project. The cop came to my door at ?10:00? at night to tell me this. I stepped outside to speak with him, porch light on, and he did take note of the 229. However, he stuck to the business at hand. Things may have been quite different had he decided to attempt to draw on me like the last one did.

I guess all in all, I am probably going to let the dead horse rest. It can always be resurected if they start acting like Warren!
    United we STAND!

Post imported post

ISMOID wich taco bell do you go to.

Post imported post

northofnowhere wrote:
    LOL. In addition, I cannot imagine Taco Bell corporation would have any type of policy. That type of complaint would be handled, as would be the policy, but the owner of the particular franchise.

With regards to looking like a cop, I got a feeling most people who do not know me presume this as well, but I have never been asked. I carry a large (FRACKING HUGE) old P110 Motorola radio in the knife pocket of my carpenter jeans for the fire department, with an equally large and noticeable antennae. Then theres of course also the large red light and siren on my car, lol. Locals know what the light is for, but when walking around town or in a business, the hip holster is directly above the radio. It's not that I am trying to look like one, it is just the only way I can carry that radio, the normal clip belt holster keeps breaking, most likely due to my girth and how I get into my vehicle
    I'm curious as to why you would think that Taco Bell, a country wide corporation similar to Wal Mart being country wide, would not have a policy in regards to legal activities?

Not knocking your thoughts... just wondering what they are based on?

And it is now after 7pm today on day 2 of the 3 days I'm supposed to be contacted by.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I've worked for both as management also But besides just knowing it is completely differient situations. Wal-Mart owns all of its own buildings. Taco Bell is a franchise which leases the Taco Bell name and food, but each Franchise owner owns the property and buildings Taco Bell is operated out of.

For instance, a company called Midwest Foods owns the local Taco Bells, or did last time I cared. Locally as well Wal-Mart corporate owns Wal-mart here and all Wal-Marts in general. Midwest Foods would then be responsible for policies regarding what can happen on its property, not Taco Bell itself.

Post imported post

An independently owned franchise still must follow all rules and policy in accordance with their franchise agreement. McDonalds are almost all privately owned yet each owner under their contract have to do things the way corporate tells them.

Whether or not Taco Bell has a firearm policy in their franchise agreement I don't know. The point being whether owned by the corporation or privately,conditions of the agreement have to be followed to keep the franchise.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    ...each owner under their contract have to do things the way corporate tells them...
    I have marked my calendar Venator. This is the first time I have seen you make a statement in error.

I know for a fact that at least one aspect of running a McDonald's is left to the individual owner. Sauce packs. Yes, sauce packs. I know leave it to the fat guy to know a major fast food chain's coprorate policy for the management of condiments. Pitched a fit to corporate after being denied sauce for french fries and was advised such matters were the decision of the location's owners. I'm reasonably certain the guy/gal paying the bills has more freedom to manage his business than many people may think.
    United we STAND!

Post imported post

Rasher wrote:
    ISMOID wich taco bell do you go to.
    Telegraph & Annapolis

Post imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
    Venator wrote:
    ...each owner under their contract have to do things the way corporate tells them...
    I have marked my calendar Venator. This is the first time I have seen you make a statement in error.

I know for a fact that at least one aspect of running a McDonald's is left to the individual owner. Sauce packs. Yes, sauce packs. I know leave it to the fat guy to know a major fast food chain's coprorate policy for the management of condiments. Pitched a fit to corporate after being denied sauce for french fries and was advised such matters were the decision of the location's owners. I'm reasonably certain the guy/gal paying the bills has more freedom to manage his business than many people may think.
    I never said that they didn't have freedoms, what I said is that they enter a contract and have to follow that contract. For instance if I owned a McD. and wanted to change the sign or use a product that wasn't allowed in my contract I could lose my franchise.

I say this with some experience as my father was CEO and part owner of three Holiday Inns. He had to follow corporate policy and rules on a wide variety of things. He did have freedoms in many areas (Like size of bar, food service, pricing, etc.) but in other areas they were restricted.

As for Taco Bell I have no idea what that contract may or may not allow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast