• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bridgeport Taco Bell incident

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've worked for both as management also :) But besides just knowing it is completely differient situations. Wal-Mart owns all of its own buildings. Taco Bell is a franchise which leases the Taco Bell name and food, but each Franchise owner owns the property and buildings Taco Bell is operated out of.

For instance, a company called Midwest Foods owns the local Taco Bells, or did last time I cared. Locally as well Wal-Mart corporate owns Wal-mart here and all Wal-Marts in general. Midwest Foods would then be responsible for policies regarding what can happen on its property, not Taco Bell itself.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

An independently owned franchise still must follow all rules and policy in accordance with their franchise agreement. McDonalds are almost all privately owned yet each owner under their contract have to do things the way corporate tells them.

Whether or not Taco Bell has a firearm policy in their franchise agreement I don't know. The point being whether owned by the corporation or privately,conditions of the agreement have to be followed to keep the franchise.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

Venator wrote:
...each owner under their contract have to do things the way corporate tells them...

I have marked my calendar Venator. This is the first time I have seen you make a statement in error.

I know for a fact that at least one aspect of running a McDonald's is left to the individual owner. Sauce packs. Yes, sauce packs. I know leave it to the fat guy to know a major fast food chain's coprorate policy for the management of condiments. Pitched a fit to corporate after being denied sauce for french fries and was advised such matters were the decision of the location's owners. I'm reasonably certain the guy/gal paying the bills has more freedom to manage his business than many people may think.

Venator

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
Venator wrote:
...each owner under their contract have to do things the way corporate tells them...

I have marked my calendar Venator. This is the first time I have seen you make a statement in error.

I know for a fact that at least one aspect of running a McDonald's is left to the individual owner. Sauce packs. Yes, sauce packs. I know leave it to the fat guy to know a major fast food chain's coprorate policy for the management of condiments. Pitched a fit to corporate after being denied sauce for french fries and was advised such matters were the decision of the location's owners. I'm reasonably certain the guy/gal paying the bills has more freedom to manage his business than many people may think.

I never said that they didn't have freedoms, what I said is that they enter a contract and have to follow that contract. For instance if I owned a McD. and wanted to change the sign or use a product that wasn't allowed in my contract I could lose my franchise.

I say this with some experience as my father was CEO and part owner of three Holiday Inns. He had to follow corporate policy and rules on a wide variety of things. He did have freedoms in many areas (Like size of bar, food service, pricing, etc.) but in other areas they were restricted.

As for Taco Bell I have no idea what that contract may or may not allow.

JeffSayers

imported post

Venator wrote:
JeffSayers wrote:
Venator wrote:

I never said that they didn't have freedoms, what I said is that they enter a contract and have to follow that contract. For instance if I owned a McD. and wanted to change the sign or use a product that wasn't allowed in my contract I could lose my franchise.

I say this with some experience as my father was CEO and part owner of three Holiday Inns. He had to follow corporate policy and rules on a wide variety of things. He did have freedoms in many areas (Like size of bar, food service, pricing, etc.) but in other areas they were restricted.

As for Taco Bell I have no idea what that contract may or may not allow.
I guess I took the snipped part as being the meat and potatioes of your statement. After your explanation I am going to remove half the mark from my calendar! :D

B

Bikenut

imported post

blairellis wrote:
I'm waiting out the "new" 3 day period (this Wednesday) for them to contact me now that they have my correct phone number instead of the incorrect area code that had been entered in my original complaint. I want to be fair and allow every opportunity for Taco Bell upper management to step up to the plate and do... well... what ever they wish to do before taking the issue to the highest corporate level if that is necessary.

I've already written a draft of the letter that will be sent to Taco Bell's president if I'm not contacted. I'll not post it here since the letter has not yet been sent.. and may not even need to be sent.

By the way... Taco Bell is a division of YUM! Brand... a subsidiary of PepsiCo.

So the update is........... the issue is still in process.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Ok... another update...

Called Taco Bell customer service again today. Got the same "we will update your complaint and set up another contact".... to which I replied (not exact words):

I will be sending a hard copy letter to thePresident of Taco Bell in Irvine, California. That letter will go out Monday and all the contacts with customer service will be documented in that letter.

and the lady said she would update my complaint.

Sooooooooo..... other than letting y'all know I'm still on it there isn't anything to tell other than....

I'm still on it.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Greggy_D wrote:
Just send it tomorrow. They're jerking you around.
I'm well aware of the game that is being played and am no stranger to it.

manicdevery

imported post

Just being curious as to i am new to OCing. if i were in walmart, tacobell, mcdonalds etc. could any employee ask me to leave for trespassingor is it more what i am thinking that management would have to enforce that.

forgive me for my ignorance i just want to know every who what and why?

JeffSayers

imported post

Caution - thinking going on here!

Every employee is an agent of the owner; therefore any employee carries authority to ask you to leave.However, most employees at most businesses aren't allowed think anymore let alone ask someone to leave the store.

Thinking over. :)

JeffSayers

imported post

By the way, I really don't thnk Taco Bell is jerking you around. I truly believe they are simply incapable of handling any customer service issue. After all, it's hard enough for them to remember the darn sour cream! (See previous comment about employees being allowed to think :lol:)

Venator

imported post

manicdevery wrote:
Just being curious as to i am new to OCing. if i were in walmart, tacobell, mcdonalds etc. could any employee ask me to leave for trespassingor is it more what i am thinking that management would have to enforce that.

forgive me for my ignorance i just want to know every who what and why?

I would ask to see the manager first. If the police are involved they can act for the manager at the managers request and ask you to leave. A trespass arrest is rare and mostly happens if you refuse to leave after being asked a couple of times.

I doubt any employee can unilaterally act as the agent for the manager or owner unless empowered to do so (except as it relates to their specific duties)....too much liability there.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Hmmm... well... I personally am not going to dither about whether or not an employee has the authority to ask me to leave or if that request MUST come from the manager. If asked to leave a business by anyone in the employ of that business I will immediately leave....... and pursue the issue later through communicating with management at what ever level of management is necessary to address the matter. Simply because right then and right there is not the time or place to complicate things to the point where police are called really mucking up the whole thing.

Oh yeah... *update*

Letter to the President of Taco Bell sent today. If no response or an unacceptable to me response is received after a couple of weeks (I believe in allowing ample time for responses) the same letter with correct updating will be sent to the President of YUM! Brand foods... the division of PepsiCo that Taco Bell is under. And, of course, if that doesn't produce an acceptable response the President of PepsiCo will be receiving a letter.

Folks... this is going to take some time. But I do not give up easily.

manicdevery

imported post

thank you jeffsayers, venater, and bikenut.

i would never get a situation i was not %100 about, i never pretend to know something i don't.

and to jeffsayers :lol:eek:n your thinking topic.i will take "knowing" over "thinking" anyday,

I would most likely just leave if asked like bikenut mentioned rather than attract any unnecessary heat. can't wait till further TacoBell legislation.

thanks much guys

Devery

DanM

imported post

manicdevery wrote:

Any employee can ask you to leave. The question is:do they have the authority to do so? If you encounter such a situation, do not discussanything the employee is saying, but immediately, politely,andfirmly ask to speakwith themanager on duty. Do not talk any further with the employee. When you are with the manager, ask for privacy and tell him you wish to lodge a harrassment complaint against the employee, in writing with corporate involvement if possible.

Lodge the following complaint: "I was going about my business in your store, which I have done many times before, when employee X [insert name] caused me much embarrassment and anxietyby requesting me to leave. Please counsel employee X to not harass customers, especially loyal repeat customers such as myself."

Themanager might back the employee. You should state you will comply, but your complaint still stands because you've done business there before with no problems and now you feel completely embarrassed by both the employee and the manager.

When being discriminated against for OC'ing, comply but make it as (legally) uncomfortable and embarrassing for the bigots as it is for you. Remember to do so politely and calmly, however. The perfect touch is to cause the manager to maybe later think, "We caused that nice, polite guyto feel embarrassed and discriminated against about something that REALLY wasn't causing us problems at all."

B

Bikenut

imported post

DanM wrote:
manicdevery wrote:

Any employee can ask you to leave. The question is:do they have the authority to do so? If you encounter such a situation, do not discussanything the employee is saying, but immediately, politely,andfirmly ask to speakwith themanager on duty. Do not talk any further with the employee. When you are with the manager, ask for privacy and tell him you wish to lodge a harrassment complaint against the employee, in writing with corporate involvement if possible.

Lodge the following complaint: "I was going about my business in your store, which I have done many times before, when employee X [insert name] caused me much embarrassment and anxietyby requesting me to leave. Please counsel employee X to not harass customers, especially loyal repeat customers such as myself."

Themanager might back the employee. You should state you will comply, but your complaint still stands because you've done business there before with no problems and now you feel completely embarrassed by both the employee and the manager.

When being discriminated against for OC'ing, comply but make it as (legally) uncomfortable and embarrassing for the bigots as it is for you. Remember to do so politely and calmly, however. The perfect touch is to cause the manager to maybe later think, "We caused that nice, polite guyto feel embarrassed and discriminated against about something that REALLY wasn't causing us problems at all."
I really am impressed (that is a sincere statement and not sarcasm) by your faith that a manager of a business who has just had an employee tell him/her there is a person with a gun who refuses to leave until they speak with them would actually come to talk..... instead of just dialing 911 and letting the police arrest the now trespasser.

And I don't think that a manager would even remotely care if the gun carrier was annoyed or offended but would only be concerned with the fact that the gun carrier didn't leave when asked to. As for impressing the manager with a polite and calm manner........... ummm.... entirely too many folks consider the sight of a gun to be de facto proof the carrier already isn't calm and polite. (I know, we are trying to change that perception but being difficult about it is counter productive) And the police would be very impressed by the calm and polite manner of the trespasser they just arrested.

I fully agree with filing a complaint but I personally would much rather do it from the comfort of my chair in front of my PC than by phone in jail to my attorney.

I guess I just don't think that setting myself up for what could escalate to become a fiasco right then and there is a good way to deal with these things.