• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

Ironbar

imported post

In my life, I have found that the vast majority of people who claim to have an open mind, have opened theirs so far that their brains fell out.

Last edited:

We-the-People

imported post

MEDFORD AREA: I was OC, wife was CC as my backup.

The Jackson County Fairgrounds Home Show. No problems at all, not even the door admission guy who I expected to eject me. maybe because he was on my weak side. :) Spent several hours in there and talked to a few folks we knew in the booths.

Sportsmans Warehouse

Carls Jr

WalMart Eagle Point

Absolutely no problems at all, a few double takes from the folks in the home show but no "spaz's". Handed out 6-12 OC pamphlets and cards between the Home Show and the WalMart trip. If it keeps going this well my wife will be joining me to OC. She picked up a sherpa blackhawk for her Glock 26 when we were at Sportsmans.

djhawes

imported post

I was at Home Depot today and Carl's Jr. Not a word mentioned about my Colt New Agent on my hip.

JBURGII

imported post

The last couple of days just been at home and to the stables where our horses are. All them folks are used to me OCing.

We-the-People

imported post

Empty holster to Rogue Community College and the Veterans Affairs benefits office.

It's legal at the school but until Jeff Maxwell's case is determined or the state puts the screws to public colleges I'll be visibly supporting the second amendment but can't afford to get expelled.

They even made me (and everyone else in the orientation class) sign a form about "student conduct" today. It included a firearms prohibition and I signed ti but explained to the "instructor" that it was in violation of state law and currently in the courts. It won't result in anything by itself but as more and more people DEMAND their rights, the squeaky wheel will get oiled.

Funny but going into the building a security officer was approaching me head on. He was too busy talking on his cell phone to notice the holster let alone if it was empty or not. FINE FINE security they have. I feel so safe in a "criminals welcome" one.

JBURGII

imported post

Not to downplay any LEO or guards abilities but thats my argument about gun free zones.. I have to put my trust in someone who is just doing a job?

"I'm sorry, I would take care of that person trying to steal your backpack at knifepoint but I'm off work in about 7 mins and the reports would take me 2 hours. The wife is making meatloaf tonite and she would be mad if I'm late."

btw, I carried to the Dari-Mart and then H&E Feed store for horse grub.. again no prob.

djhawes

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
Empty holster to Rogue Community College and the Veterans Affairs benefits office.

It's legal at the school but until Jeff Maxwell's case is determined or the state puts the screws to public colleges I'll be visibly supporting the second amendment but can't afford to get expelled.

They even made me (and everyone else in the orientation class) sign a form about "student conduct" today. It included a firearms prohibition and I signed ti but explained to the "instructor" that it was in violation of state law and currently in the courts. It won't result in anything by itself but as more and more people DEMAND their rights, the squeaky wheel will get oiled.

Funny but going into the building a security officer was approaching me head on. He was too busy talking on his cell phone to notice the holster let alone if it was empty or not. FINE FINE security they have. I feel so safe in a "criminals welcome" one.

My first day of class to at Mt. Hood Community College. I got the student conduct code off of the internet and copied it to Kevin at the Oregon Firearms Federation. He emailed me back and said it should be over soon.

I carried concealed on campus today....Like We-the-People wrote, I do not want to get expelled. I am too old to play in that game.

Kevin did say that the President or Vice President told him that the college really could not do much if a student was carring concealed.

While I was getting "oriented," I talked to the Student Group about some changes I would like to see in the Student Conduct Code. The told me to see the Student Body President. I think I just may have to voice my opinion at one of those meetings.

We-the-People

imported post

I wrote my first e-mail advocating concealed carry on campus as a reply to an article in the school paper about their wi bang new "security" system. A big blue button on each floor that, when activated, will "lock down" the school. Strangely it will let any and everyone get out but no one in.

Now does anyone see anything wrong with that? I suppose if there's a shotting rampage on the public street outside they can lock down and keep him out but their concern is in preventing a VA Tech kinda thing.

So I pointed out how silly it was to install a system that will cause all the people in the building to panic and run for the doors so that a BG can pick them off. Then I talked about how the local PD is going to surround the building and.....WAIT so if a BG is inside, THEY aren't going to stop him.

Then I mentioned the school policy which is in direct violation of state law and our federal and state Constitutional right to self defense.

Right after that I fired off an e-mail in reply to a school paper call for freelance writers and let them know that I had public speaking, writing, and political experience but was interested in writing about second amendment and other Constitutional issues. We'll see what they say.

Oh yes, and a message off to the SCCC offering my services as their "Campus Leader" if they didn't feel my personal activities would interferewith their stated official agenda.

Guess I'm on the radar now!!!!

Oh and I dug up the schools official policy on expression and freedom of ideas. Sounds likecarrying an empty holster is protected by their policy. SMILE

Now to go order a dozen or so Second Amendment advocacy shirts to wear around campus. I'm thinking Second Amendment March, O.F.F., GOA, SCCC, and does OCDO sell a shirt?

JBURGII

imported post

Hmm.. lets lock the first responders out to start.. good idea there... :banghead:

What if there are some in need of medical attention? Do they supply EMT, PD or FD with a 'pass code' or something to bypass the security system?

This is a perfect scenario to advocate the carry of self defense weapons.

I look forward to following this storyline..

Rev. Jim

We-the-People

imported post

Well today I talked with the Vice President of student government about "getting involved" and specifically talked about carry on campus and that the administrative policy violated state law. He readily agreed but added that it had yet to be challenged. I told him I was going to challenge it. First step preparing and presenting an "argument" to present to them detailing the statistics, state premption, their liability, etc.

He also agreed that the "security system" was a joke and that I would have no problem at the CC finding other folks willing to get on board.

I think part of my research for the first presentation will include contacting the local PD and state police IRT their response policy. i.e. surround and contain or attempt immediate entry.

Also, most places will not allow medical response to enter until the scene is absolutely and positively secured (no more BG present).

JBURGII

imported post

You are correct, I was more curious at how the system was 'unlocked' after the BG was no longer a threat and if this prolongs response by medical personel. This is just technical curiosities on my part.. I tend to look for flaws in the system.. kind of wierd for an optimist huh?

Rev. Jim

We-the-People

imported post

Well the entry doors all have a security keypad on them so I'm assuming that there is an override code. That's just a guess. But medical personnel aren't going to be allowed into a possibly hostile situation until police have secured it. Police policy is most like to surround and wait. That's fairly typical.

Orygunner

imported post

Last weekend I went up shooting with my two kids and my nephew, just went up McGowen Creek and plinked at some frying pans, mostly shot the .22 pistol and single shot rifle, but also the Glock 9mm, my .357 Magnum cannon, and the 12-guage shorty.

To go up shooting, I put my .357 in my shoulder holster, and the only spot we stopped was Dari-Mart at Hayden Bridge & 10th. Me and the kids decended on the store to get our sodas and snacks, and went up to the counter to pay for it.

The girl behind the counter asked "Are you a cop?"
"No," I replied. "Just an ordinary citizen."
"You can't carry that in here. The only people allowed to carry in the store are law enforcement."
"Is that corporate policy?"
"Yes, no weapons allowed in any of our stores."
"Is it posted?" I asked.
"Yes."
"Well, does the sign actually stop anyone from bringing in a weapon?"
"Of course it does!" she replied.

I looked down at the gun under my arm, looked back up at her and replied "Apperantly not."

She didn't get my point. I told her I'd carried in many other Dari-Mart stores and never saw a sign and nobody ever said anything to me before. She informed me that if she had seen me when I walked in she would have made me turn around and leave it in the car, but since I was already at the counter ready to check out, she'd ring me up so I could leave.

On the way out, I looked all around the door, no sign. I popped my head back in.

"Miss, there is no sign anywhere out here stating no weapons are allowed."

She came out and looked, "Well, it must have been on the window that got shot out."

I informed her again I'd be calling corporate to get the facts because I was sure she was mistaken, and left.

The following Monday, I called corporate, and talked to their HR Director. She informed me that no, there is no policy concerning customers and weapons, but that employees are not allowed to carry weapons. She did say that the employees may ASK customers to leave their firearms in the car if it's disturbing to other customers, but they cannot force me to leave. She said she would contact the manager of that store and correct them on company policy.

Think I'll have to go shooting again this weekend and stop by the same store to see if their attitude is any different :)

...Orygunner...

JBURGII

imported post

I have shopped many Dari-Mart and never a problem. I may be heading through that area in the next few days, might have to stop by and grab some coffee..

I have been in Abbey's Pizza and Dari-Mart, Wal-Mart (W.11th) and Fred Meyer's as well in the last two days.. not a problem.

Rev. Jim

Orygunner

imported post

I forgot to add, the Dari-Mart HR director did say that they're a little "gun shy" at that store, because someone shot out their window recently, and they had an "attempted" robbery. Not sure what an "attempted" robbery entailed, I didn't ask for details.

...Orygunner...

JBURGII

imported post

I have noticed an upswing in 'convenience' crimes as the economy drops. People who might not have considered commiting a robbery are now 'attempting' it. So we have rookie ciminals who bolt when they realize they have goofed up the 'robbery'.

I have seen some of this first hand here in the JC area, one of my former tenants found a bicycle on the side of the road and stole the tubes out of MY tires on my bike to fix his and sell it.. I know this is a small taters thing but these people are losing their grip on what is right and wrong.. I believe its a form of survival instinct, something they might not normally do becomes acceptable when they feel they have no other option. Just a guess.. I may be totally wrong..

Rev. Jim

Ironbar

imported post

The Brussels sprout is a cultivar in the Gemmifera group of cabbages (Brassica oleracea), grown for its edible buds. The leafy green vegetables are typically 2.5–4 cm (0.98–1.6 in) in diameter and look like miniature cabbages. The Brussels sprout has long been popular in Brussels, Belgium, and may have originated there.[1]

Contents [hide]
1 Cultivation
1.1 Europe
1.2 North America
2 Nutritional and medicinal value
3 Cooking and preparation
4 Gallery
5 References
6 External links
Cultivation[edit]

Forerunners to modern Brussels sprouts were likely cultivated in ancient Rome. Brussels sprouts as we now know them were grown possibly as early as the 13th century in what is now Belgium.[2] The first written reference dates to 1587.[2] During the 16th century, they enjoyed a popularity in the southern Netherlands that eventually spread throughout the cooler parts of Northern Europe.

Brussels sprouts grow in temperature ranges of 7–24°C (45–75°F), with highest yields at 15–18°C (59–64°F).[3] Fields are ready for harvest 90 to 180 days after planting.[2] The edible sprouts grow like buds in helical patterns along the side of long, thick stalks of about 60 to 120 cm (24 to 47 in) in height, maturing over several weeks from the lower to the upper part of the stalk. Sprouts may be picked by hand into baskets, in which case several harvests are made of five to 15 sprouts at a time, or by cutting the entire stalk at once for processing, or by mechanical harvester, depending on variety.[2] Each stalk can produce 1.1 to 1.4 kg (2.4 to 3.1 lb), although the commercial yield is about 900 g (2.0 lb) per stalk.[3] Harvest season in northern latitudes is September to March, making Brussels sprout a traditional winter stock vegetable. In the home garden, harvest can be delayed as quality doesn't suffer from freezing. Gardeners are cited as "sprouts are sweetest after a good, stiff frost".[4]

Brussels sprouts are a cultivar of the same species as cabbage, in the same family as collard greens, broccoli, kale, and kohlrabi; they are cruciferous (they belong to the Brassicaceae family; old name Cruciferae). They contain good amounts of vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid and dietary fibre. Moreover, they are believed to protect against colon cancer, because they contain sinigrin.[5] Although they contain compounds such as goitrin that can act as goitrogens and interfere with thyroid hormone production, realistic amounts in the diet do not seem to have any effect on the function of the thyroid gland in humans.[6]

Breeding research conducted by Syngenta in the Netherlands focusing on compounds known as glucosinolates found in Brussels sprouts has resulted in reduced bitterness and in improved health attributes. These improvements in reducing unpleasant taste through scientific breeding advances have been credited with spurring a "renaissance" and growth in production and consumption of Brussels sprouts hybrids.[7]

Europe[edit]
In Continental Europe, the largest producers are the Netherlands, at 82,000 metric tons, and Germany, at 10,000 tons. The United Kingdom has production comparable to that of the Netherlands, but it is not generally exported.[8][clarification needed]

North America[edit]
Production of Brussels sprouts in the United States began in the 18th century, when French settlers brought them to Louisiana.[3] Thomas Jefferson's slaves grew them at Monticello.[9] The first plantings in California's Central Coast began in the 1920s, with significant production beginning in the 1940s. Currently, several thousand acres are planted in coastal areas of San Mateo, Santa Cruz, and Monterey counties of California, which offer an ideal combination of coastal fog and cool temperatures year-round. The harvest season lasts from June through January.[2][10] They are also grown in Baja California, Mexico, where the harvest season is from December through June.[10]

Most of the United States production is in California,[9] with a smaller percentage of the crop grown in Skagit Valley, Washington, where cool springs, mild summers and rich soil abounds, and to a lesser degree on Long Island, New York.[11] Total United States production is approximately 32,000 tons, with a value of $27 million.[3] Ontario, Canada produces about 1,000 tons per year.[12]

About 80% to 85% of US production is for the frozen food market, with the remainder for fresh consumption.[11] Once harvested, sprouts last three to five weeks under ideal near-freezing conditions before wilting and discolouring, and about half as long at refrigerator temperature.[3] American varieties are generally 2.5–5 cm (0.98–1.97 in) in diameter.[3]

Nutritional and medicinal value[edit]

Brussels sprouts, as with broccoli and other brassicas, contains sulforaphane, a chemical believed to have potent anticancer properties. Although boiling reduces the level of the anticancer compounds, steaming and stir frying do not result in significant loss.[13]

Brussels sprouts and other brassicas are also a source of indole-3-carbinol, a chemical which boosts DNA repair in cells and appears to block the growth of cancer cells.[14][15]

Consuming Brussels sprouts in excess may not be suitable for heart patients taking anticoagulants since they contain vitamin K. In one such reported incident,[16] doctors determined that the reason for a heart patient's worsening condition was eating too many Brussels sprouts.

Cooking and preparation[edit]

The most common method of preparing Brussels sprouts for cooking begins with cutting the buds off the stalk. Any surplus stem is cut away, and any loose surface leaves are peeled and discarded. Once cut and cleaned, the buds are typically cooked by boiling, steaming, stir frying, grilling, or roasting; however, boiling results in significant loss of anticancer compounds.[13] To ensure even cooking throughout, buds of a similar size are usually chosen. Some cooks will make a single cut or a cross in the center of the stem to aid the penetration of heat. Brussels sprouts can be pickled as an alternative to cooking.

Overcooking will render the buds gray and soft, and they then develop a strong flavour and odour that some dislike.[9] The odor is associated with glucosinolate sinigrin, an organic compound that contains sulfur: hence the strong smell.

For taste, roasting Brussels sprouts is a common way to cook them in large quantities that seems to bring out the flavor that school children can enjoy.[17] One school district served roasted and pickled Brussels sprouts to 20,000 children who reportedly enjoyed the food during a single day.[18]

Common toppings or additions for Brussels sprouts include balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, bacon, pistachios, pine nuts, mustard, brown sugar, and pepper.

A popular way of cooking Brussels sprouts is to sauté them. [19]

Last edited:

We-the-People

imported post

After having carried openly for months I've been told not to enter the Rogue Valley Mall (security met me at the door) and until this afternoon, nothing but good encounters (curioius, education, etc).

Today at Bi-mart in Medford on Main street the manager came to the sporting goods counter where I was checking on reloading supplies. He asked my WIFE, not me, to have me cover the weapon with my shirt. Good wife she is let me know and I told him that I could leave if he wanted me to but that I would not conceal. He then said he's escort me around the store then as it sometimes makes customers nervous.

I told him those customers must be from California and that they needed to learn that it's legal in Oregon.

I'd call it a "mixed" encounter as while I offered to leave several times he didn't want me to leave but wanted to "escort" me to calm any nervous customers (from which there hadn't been a complaint on my visit) and then left while I remained at the gun counter. Mixed because had I not asserted my rights, which he could have trumped with trespass but obviously didn't want to, he wanted me to conceal....just assuming I had a CHL.

M

McX

imported post

it must have been on the window that got shot out..............................now that's an original good one.