• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

I'm working very hard not to let my guard down as I know that's the day that I'll need the audio recorder and my wits. It seems that OC in Southern Oregon simply isn't an issue but then we have the "disorderly" arrest of a protestor who was OC and face planted with LEO weapons drawn. Arraignment in that case is 10am tomorrow at Medford Muni Court.

Would seem decidedly better to post to the thread above than here, especially w/o a link.

Dogbait

I was under the impression that under ORS 166.370 Section 3 subsection d, that section 1 "does not apply" therefore allowing the carrying of a firearm in a county courthouse. Do you not have an Oregon CHL or did I miss something?

Section 1 is Public Buildings

Section 2 is Courthouses.

Section 3 Subsection D exempts CHL from Section 1 Public Building but not Section 2 Courthouses

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.370

We-the-People

Thursday: OC'd to city hall and disarmed in the parking lot to attend muni court is support of an OC'er charged with "disorderly" (didn't legally have to disarm but in light of not wanting to piss off the judge felt it prudent). I was out and about for 12 hours OC'ing except in for that and a trip to my lawyers firm where I disarm in the parking lot in front of their door....stupid really.

One stop was DMV where in the parking lot on my way out I was talking with another customer who asked if my weapon was a 5.7. He said the woman helping him at the counter had told him that she was going to go out to the waiting area and ask me to put the weapon in my vehicle but he said "why, it's legal". No one ever said anything to me so I have only his statement to go on for that.

We-the-People

So how did the hearing for your friend go??

He has a court date of September 18th for a "pre jury-trial conference".

He'll be hiring an attorney and hopefully at that point it will go away. Not sure if discovery is before or after that conference though so it may go beyond that point. Basically, if his video camera shows him crossing the street, it should be sufficient to refute the testimony of the witness who says he stopped traffic AND met the other required elements of the charge of disorderly. If the video is somehow "not available" then the state can explain why and it will be hard to say that the semi-professional videographer's tape "didn't work".

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Email sent today,

I've ate at the Cousins in The Dalles last year with no issues. I hope this is just a single instance of an ignorant manager.

Well, after 2 emails to the Cousins email on their website with no response I had to do some digging. I am assuming that they either wanted to avoid answering or the manager who contacted me was intercepting the emails. I found the ownership group and forwarded my email directly to them.

Date: August 11, 2012 10:02:08 PM PDT>
To: <XXXXXXX@comcast.net
Subject: Your email

Dear Mr. Smith,
Thank you for writing to us about your recent experience at Cousins restaurant inThe Dalles. Patrick Nofield and I are owners of Cousins Restaurant and weapologize if we have upset you in any way.

I grew up in Walla Walla Washington and my dad had Drumheller Sporting Goods – Ithink he had one of the largest and best collections of rifles, shotguns and handguns in the Northwest. We had customers that came from all over to buy from usand we specialized in knowledgeable salesman who specialized in different areas,even muzzle loading. I also grew up with BB guns, pellet guns, 22’s, shot guns,and then deer rifles and I own hand guns and rifles today. My Dad also taughtfirearm safety for years and he considered this an important part of his profession. He also loved to bow hunt as well as fish.

We support hunting and fishing and we often donate meals and gift certificates to sporting clubs and hunting and fishing causes. As you might imagine we also havea large amount of hunters who dine with us on their way to and from their hunting camps and we definitely support and honor the second amendment rights.

Your situation brought to our attention a fact that we really hadn’t thought aboutfor a while. In the state of Washington (where we also have a restaurant ) we aremandated by terms of our license to prohibit weapons on the premises. We alsowant to provide as safe an environment for our guests and our employees as possible.

With the recent news of public shooting assaults in our country we feel there isheightened sensitivity in seeing a firearm in a public gathering place and webelieve we owe it to our customers to not give them cause for concern when theydine with us. Therefore, though we do support the right to bear arms, we feel itis appropriate for our guests with firearms to conceal them or refrain frombringing them into our establishment.

We understand you feel discriminated against but that is not our intent. We hope to retain you as a customer and we honor your desire for protection and safety. Wehope this helps provide some insight regarding our position and we hope you willgive us another chance to serve you.

Sincerely,

Tom Drumheller and Patrick Nofield
Escape Lodging Company
PO Box 1037
3287 S. Hemlock Street
Cannon Beach, Oregon 97110
503 436 2480 (office)
503 436 2490 (fax)
www.escapelodging.com

I have not responded as of yet. I am interested in comments from Oregonians (I live in Washington but frequent The Dalles several times a year).

FYI, his businesses in Washington are not prohibited from allowing firearms unless they are a bar or tavern that is restricted to ages 21 and older.
RCW 9.41.300
(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age

Thoughts?

Last edited:

DocWalker

Well, after 2 emails to the Cousins email on their website with no response I had to do some digging. I am assuming that they either wanted to avoid answering or the manager who contacted me was intercepting the emails. I found the ownership group and forwarded my email directly to them.

I have not responded as of yet. I am interested in comments from Oregonians (I live in Washington but frequent The Dalles several times a year).

FYI, his businesses in Washington are not prohibited from allowing firearms unless they are a bar or tavern that is restricted to ages 21 and older.
RCW 9.41.300

Thoughts?

My thoughts are this guy is an IDIOT.

1. He states that he wants to provide a "safe" enviorment but doesn't allow you to protect yourself and I'm sure there is not armed security on sight to protect yourself. This is making a gun free zone = to unsafe place, another shooting at Texas A&M today (another GFZ).

2. He states in light of events it is insensitive to open carry, sorry but we have vehicle collisions every day should we not drive our cars out of respect?

This guy is a double talking Idiot and you can quote me on that.

We-the-People

Yesterday, August 18th

OC'd to and in Portland. Drove up from Medford to attend a CeaseFire Oregon "gun buyback". No LEO contacts while there for over 3 hours on the sidewalk outside their parking lot. Then went down to Powell's Books. No negative comments, one positive one.

Then Woodburn outlet mall where we walked the entire mall and shopped in a half dozen stores. Again, no negative comments and we were near security numerous times.'

At least a dozen weapons were purchased at the gun buyback (by multiple folks) and kept from the hands of the smelters. The Portland PD gave a good quote as well saying that the buybacks don't pull gang guns off the streets. The Oregonian wrote a decent story and you can find a link to that story at this OCDO thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...gun-buyback-in-Portland&p=1811327#post1811327

Ironbar

You people are amazing. I think Mr. Drumheller's response was not only polite, but very tactful given the circumstances. Can you even conceive of an alternate viewpoint for even a second? Can you even possibly put yourselves in the owner's shoes for a minute? Running a restaurant is one of the hardest businesses to keep going. They have to try and please ALL the people ALL the time, which we all know is impossible. Then you guys come along and act all butt-hurt because your 'po feeling got stomped on? Unreal.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
You people are amazing. I think Mr. Drumheller's response was not only polite, but very tactful given the circumstances. Can you even conceive of an alternate viewpoint for even a second? Can you even possibly put yourselves in the owner's shoes for a minute? Running a restaurant is one of the hardest businesses to keep going. They have to try and please ALL the people ALL the time, which we all know is impossible. Then you guys come along and act all butt-hurt because your 'po feeling got stomped on? Unreal.

Thank you for calling me amazing! I agree!

While Mr. Drumheller's response was tactful and polite, it is full of misnomer's and in one instance an outright falsehood. It is not illegal to carry in a restaurant in the state of Washington. It is only illegal to carry in the portion that is restricted to 21 and over.

RCW 9.41.300

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:

(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age; or

Here on OCDO we are about facts and education. Not about feelings, my feelings were not stomped on. I was asked to leave, and I did so without fanfare. Can it be said that it is embarrassing to leave when you are doing nothing wrong and nothing illegal, yes.

FYI, a majority of business that do business in multiple states simply follow state law of the state they do business. This is true for Starbucks, Home Depot, Wal Mart, etc....

4runman

Portland OC

Good day, had dinner at mcmenamins Kennedy school. No one even noticed. Then to New Seasons, had a good talk with assistant manager Scott. Two of their employs had noticed me upon entry, they immediately informed the manager. A+ for awareness. He just wanted to know why I was carrying a gun, so he could inform any inquisitive staff, or customers. I informed him it was for protection, 2A exercise, and normalization of legally armed citizens in the community. After doing his management duties he asked some questions for his own use, so I left him with a flyer. All in all a good talk. Off to the competition, Trader Joes, then home. No issues. Good day for OC.

Mattimusmaximus

dude open carry applebees

so i entered apple bees and sat down with gun side towards the main entrance and i looked around. 4 beaverton officers across the bar! as i sat eating with a friend i notice them pointing at my side arm (rock island 1911 .45) and one walked over and asked if the food was good. i replied yes he looked down at my side arm again lol. he stood there for a sec and i asked if everything alright? he said he was just checking to see what kind a person i was and then said have a good evening and went back with the rest.

HareTigger

I've been open carrying for a few months, but never to my doctor's office. This morning I decided to heck with that and wore my revolver openly at my side. The receptionist probably couldn't see it due to the high counter. The nurse, after we were back in the exam room, asked what kind of gun it is. I told her it's a .357 Magnum to which she replied "Where do you work?" as if what I did for a living was dangerous enough to require a gun. I explained that the only reason I carry a gun is that SCOTUS decided that the police are not required to answer every call. My doctor also mentioned the gun, but didn't seem worried that I was carrying.

I was also at DMV this afternoon; no one mentioned or seemed concerned about my gun.

Actually, it's rare that anyone mentions my gun. Perhaps they just don't see it?

Enginerd

Klamath Falls, OR

I'm so glad I found you guys!

I just bought my first handgun yesterday (why did I wait this long! Oh right, they cost money). It's a Sig Mosquito .22 LR in preparation for the P226 I will be buying (that damn money problem again geez). I got it for target and plinking (and familiarizing myself with the Sig layout), but I figured since it looks like the real thing that I could OC like it's the real thing (except maybe that I would have a higher tendency to run away from a gun fight :uhoh:).

I made my first outing to Wal-Mart in K Falls after reading several pages of this great thread. There was not a single comment and I didn't even see anyone giving me the stink eye.

Concerning Bi-Mart since it was mentioned and I shop there a lot, what should I do when I want to go there? Should I just leave it in the car? Or should I brave the wrath of the store employees?

Another question: Right now I am using a nylon Bulldog belt holster that does include a snap strap. Is this sufficient? I've been looking at the kydex class 2 style such as the Blackhawk Serpa but I don't really want to fork over the dough for a plinker (If it's even offered, I hear the mosquito will fit in one made for a Walther PPS though). Am I safe in using the Bulldog?

By the way, does anyone have a pdf of this flyer everyone is talking about?

Last edited:

BadMoon Risin68

Oregon City

Met with fellow co-workers and went to the Albertsons on beavercreek rd. Not one word from anyone I was the only one with a gun on my hip, one other co-worker had a holster but that was it. Got one funny look from a guy who kinda chuckled but that was the only notice of my gun, that I had noticed. Other than that it was a great day shooting with my co-workers.

We-the-People

This weekends outings "multiple":

The new WalMart in South Medford
Radio Shack & Harbor Freight tools by the South Fred Meyer
Medford Best Buy
Chase Bank Medford (at Costco shopping center)
Batteries Plus
Les Schwab
Honda/Kawasaki of Medford
ACE hardware in Medford (near 62 and I5)
Dutch brothers (GF walked up)
Jackson Creek Pizza Medford
Eagle Point WalMart
Triple Tree restaurant (Sams Valley)

At Batteries Plus one of th employees was WAY pro gun and open carry. No negative encounters or comments from anyone, one customer at South Medford WalMart did comment about us both carrying but not in a negative way.

MedusaOblongata

I prefer to carry concealed, but, for the first time yesterday I saw an open carrier. It was at Elmer's restaurant in Salem, he had long hair and tattoos. I wanted to say hi or at least give him a thumbs up, but I was with my girlfriend and her rapidly anti-gun (and thankfully oblivious) mother, and I didn't want her to cause a scene. Anyway, I was glad to see him there.