• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

Mattimusmaximus

Today I open carried to Fred Meyers and to Hawaiian kine(fast food) and past a high school on my way back home. Got a few glances some guy yelled wooo open carry. I open carry a rock island 1911 .45 made in Philippines and I love the damn thing! I also have a sig mosquito with silencer capability :) thats my wife's. After a while were gonna go walk tonight and go get ice cream I'll let you know how it goes

We-the-People

Earlier today:

Eagle Point: Open carried my 5.7 with two others who were carrying both sidearms and long guns and another who was not carrying. No negative reactions while walking or when we went into a local market for drinks. Near the end of the walk two trucks stopped (in the police parking lot as we walked down the sidewalk) and asked for information about open carry.

Medford: I OC'd my sidearm with one of the Eagle Point sidearm/long gun carriers and the unarmed person. Medford PD pulled up at one point, leaned across the seat and asked one quick question then said "okay, we had a MWAG call" and drove off. We then had dinner at Muchas Gracias on West Main and discussed OC and other subjects. We were joined by two other individuals, one was OC.

All in all a good day.

Jeff. State

Banned
Anyone know if Roundtable pizza on Poplar in Medford is OC friendly? If not, I guess I'll let y'all know within a week or so.

Does Warren post much here?

TonyA

I've been lurking for a while, been OCing a Glock 17 every day for maybe half a year now. Now and then, mostly at night, I OC a GP100. I've had mostly good experiences and only a couple bad.

People at the 711's I frequent think it's great that I OC. I get free drinks at one since I started.

I had a sheriff outside of Walmart in Troutdale look me over when he saw my GP100 and tell me it's not often he sees people bold enough to OC.

I carry everywhere I can in Gresham, and wherever else is legal without a CHL (Just haven't had the cash, I need to learn to save money.)

I have only had a couple people complain or say something. In Safeway on 181st and Powell, a few bro looking young guys complained to the manager but he rang my buddy and I up in a separate lane to get us out quicker. And on another occasion a female employee told me I should cover up because it was a grocery store.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Last edited:

We-the-People

Anyone know if Roundtable pizza on Poplar in Medford is OC friendly? If not, I guess I'll let y'all know within a week or so.

Does Warren post much here?

Warren doesn't post a lot here but he does come in.

Can't say on Round Table pizza but I carry everywhere in Medford (and surrounding) and the only place I have been told to leave is the Medford mall. Of course I try to avoid theaters though I do occasionally attend to keep the GF happy and CC when I do.

Go ahead and carry, if they don't like it take your money with you and leave.

We-the-People

OC Yesterday: Rode the bikes to Rogue River and had lunch at Bee Gees Diner at 500 East Main. On the way we stopped in Gold Hill for the 1st annual rat rod show (I didn't think you called it "annual" until the second year). No problems anywhere, as usual.

OC Today: GF's work and the new Wal Mart (South Medford), no problems (then again my GF is the GM at her work).
Also watched The Dark Knight Rises though we both CC'd for that then swapped back to OC at the car.

SteveInAshand

Tap Tap Tap , is this mic on , lol.

Sooooooo, My buddy Mr 'We The People' got a GF , cool , very cool.

I hope she is more mellow that our last GF's ( plural ) lol.

Ok, report in on OC in this Summer: I haven't pulled it on any scum bags this Summer check <

I go to Ashland aka Ass - Hand almost every weekend to go mountain biking and scout for the up coming Deer and Elk season , then off the the food coop and the local brew pub for fresh sudd's and have had no confrontations or out right stink eye from the peaceful yet highly judgmental earth pagan's, just the usual timid scared looks that subtly say with a cartoon bubble above their heads ((((( " oh no he has a gun, he must be a cop, ya ya he must be a cop , he is so clean cut and friendly, but don't look at him strait in the eye we dont want to set him off , smile, be friendly to the maniac"........ )))))

You can read their minds, lol.

I have met about 9 Medford cops in this Summer mostly due to befriending one of Medford finest who dig's me as we are both Glenn Beck fan's and he has a side business with his wife next to my work and they all know me as Mr clean cut no BS Sheep Dog OC dude.

In closing , nothing to report, mostly good pos+ response , along with with some silent frozen stares.

Cheers.

We-the-People

Yep, got's me a GF but I may have messed up. She doesn't work for the post office but she does work with a lot of mail and I went and got her into OC'ing. Hmmmmm if you're not a postal worker can you still "go postal" if you're exposed to too much envelope glue or paper dust or something?

Oh and my "last one" was a wife....much more painful than a GF if/when it doesn't work out. At least in the way it affects ones ability to fund their open carry and other firearms interests.

I've been OC'ing a lot at RCC lately, using one of their parking lots to get the GF some motorcycle practice for her upcoming skills test. While school has been out, I half expected some namby pamby to complain or call the police....hasn't happened yet....knocking on my head as a viable wood substitute. Also used the actual DMV lot last weekend and while a cop car parked about 50 yards away and I got my recorder ready, it turned out he was indulging in one of the businesses. I thought he might come over to hassle me for riding the bike without a helmet (in the parking lot) and get stupid over the sidearm when I refused to ID (No DL, registration, or insurance required in a parking lot). Didn't have my ID on me anyway, it was locked in the saddle bags where it always is when I'm OC'ing on the bike.

So for a GF she's doing prety well. Took to the second amendment like a duck to water. In fact her exact words, when educated about the total lack of any responsibility on the part of police to protect her as an individual was "what the ______". She picked up a 357 magnum and started OC'ing, joined OCDO, and now has a CHL but still OC's an awful lot. Then when I got the bike running for the summer and mentioned that if I ever got something in my eye or some such silly injury on a road trip it would be nice if she could get us home.....she took the motorcycle safety course and bought a 650 Yamaha.

She may be a keeper. I'd say she IS but she will probably read this and I don't want her getting too cocky. SMILE

HareTigger

Yep, got's me a GF but I may have messed up. She doesn't work for the post office but she does work with a lot of mail and I went and got her into OC'ing. Hmmmmm if you're not a postal worker can you still "go postal" if you're exposed to too much envelope glue or paper dust or something?

Oh and my "last one" was a wife....much more painful than a GF if/when it doesn't work out. At least in the way it affects ones ability to fund their open carry and other firearms interests.

I've been OC'ing a lot at RCC lately, using one of their parking lots to get the GF some motorcycle practice for her upcoming skills test. While school has been out, I half expected some namby pamby to complain or call the police....hasn't happened yet....knocking on my head as a viable wood substitute. Also used the actual DMV lot last weekend and while a cop car parked about 50 yards away and I got my recorder ready, it turned out he was indulging in one of the businesses. I thought he might come over to hassle me for riding the bike without a helmet (in the parking lot) and get stupid over the sidearm when I refused to ID (No DL, registration, or insurance required in a parking lot). Didn't have my ID on me anyway, it was locked in the saddle bags where it always is when I'm OC'ing on the bike.

So for a GF she's doing pretty well. Took to the second amendment like a duck to water. In fact her exact words, when educated about the total lack of any responsibility on the part of police to protect her as an individual was "what the ______". She picked up a 357 magnum and started OC'ing, joined OCDO, and now has a CHL but still OC's an awful lot. Then when I got the bike running for the summer and mentioned that if I ever got something in my eye or some such silly injury on a road trip it would be nice if she could get us home.....she took the motorcycle safety course and bought a 650 Yamaha.

She may be a keeper. I'd say she IS but she will probably read this and I don't want her getting too cocky. SMILE

Hmph. Did you ever consider that you "may" only be a keeper? Huh? Did ya???? :lol: All I'll say is ... so far so good, We-the-People.

We-the-People

Hmph. Did you ever consider that you "may" only be a keeper? Huh? Did ya???? :lol: All I'll say is ... so far so good, We-the-People.

I'm not worried....

OC'd to RCC tablerock for some more GF cycle practice/training, narry a word. Tomorrow I'm going to do my best to make an Ashland Library "presentation" on "the psychology of gun ownership".....while OCing to the apparently (after reading the recommended reading) anti-gun propaganda.....errrr "presentation".

We-the-People

Thursday I attended a small discussion group at the Ashland public library. The group is called "Elastic minds" and the discussion for the day was "The psychology of gun ownership" with the recommended reading an article from the New Yorker ("Battleground America: One Nation Under the Gun" by Jill Lepore, found in the April 23, 2012 edition of the magazine) that was rife with innacurate numbers, several myths, etc. I showed up OC'ing my FN 5.7 and was the only pro-firearms guy in the room. It turned out well and several people understood my points. I made sure to address the innaccuracies in the article. 100,000 killed every year by firearms...the actual numer for 2006 was 60,000 with 16,500 of them suicides and no number listed for how many were crimninals (or innocent bystanders) shot by police or private citizens defending themselves.

I also gave the true numbers for "children" involved in firearms incidents and explained that the big numbers given by the anti's included ages birth to 24 so that the 16-24 year old gang bangers were included as well as the majority of criminals shot by police and defending citizens. The true number of children being about 55 for the year while 900+ drowned in swiming pools, hundreds were killed and mained in auto accidents, and that they were more likely to die of 5 other causes (such as poisoned by household cleaners) than by firearms.

I think it went well, I was thanked for attending by several of the people who were appreciative of the when I explained that no, I wasn't carrying to protect others, only me and mine. That while they could expect some level of protection by being in my presence, I wasn't going to race down the hallway to engage an active shooter unless my family or friends were in that direction. They seemed to think that since I had a gun I would race into action to protect others.

All in all, I think I gave them something to think about and it was a civil discussion. Interestingly, I was asked if I would take my weapon out and show them.....I declined and explained that it doesn't come out of the holster in public as that would be irresponsible.

Also carried around town, as always. Tonight I was waiting to go into Red Lobster and another customer saw the weapon and made a very positive comment. Engaged in a nice conversation with he and his wife and on their way out later he waved vigorously.

Rand0m411

when I explained that no, I wasn't carrying to protect others, only me and mine.

I think that's the only place after reading this entire thread that I disagree with you we-the-people. I would risk my life to protect the innocent even though I am not a paid official, and especially if children were in danger. I know, we just have two different view points. I would just never be able to live with myself knowing I did nothing when I had the tools to help people in a time of extreme crisis.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I think that's the only place after reading this entire thread that I disagree with you we-the-people. I would risk my life to protect the innocent even though I am not a paid official, and especially if children were in danger. I know, we just have two different view points. I would just never be able to live with myself knowing I did nothing when I had the tools to help people in a time of extreme crisis.

Make sure that you know all of the variables. A LEO in plain clothes, might at first glance appear to be a child molester or a mugger.

Sometimes it is better to be a good witness and not step into hero's boots. Jus' sayin'.

I do completely understand your motive, POV, though.

We-the-People

Until the situation presents itself, none of us can say for sure what we would do in an active shooter scenario. However, I'm no longer a spring chicken able to jump and roll, hop over things, etc. I'm certainly not going to be running off to help others as running is something I simply don't do anymore. Top speed is a very slow jog these days. A live of hardships and injuries tends to slow you down at some point.

Anyway, I carry for me and mine and my intent is ONLY for that. But in the heat of hte moment who knows. But I'll never let on to the sheep or the anti's that there is any possibility of my coming to their "rescue"....they'll be more motivated to reconsider their position that way.

Stepped out at the GF's today for a smoke and found a city PD motor cop citing one of the neighbors in the complex. I waited around for him to finish and then after he turned around I waved him down in the lot to ask about his flip up full face helmet (I recently bought one and wanted to know if they ever loosened up). Anyway, he took one hard look at the pistol and then ignored it while we talked.

On the way home, well after dark on my motorcycle, ended up talking to yet another cop at an accident scene I had to go through. Just a quick question as to whether the road was closed. With the darkness and the weapon on the opsoite side form him he had no chance to view it. Just thought it was strange that all of a sudden I come across two cops in one day after three years of OC with the only LEO interactions being the capital in Salem where it was a long distance surveilance for about 5 minutes with no approach and then the state trooper that was checking fishing licenses.

It's all good!

Last edited:

Crestwood1001

Just thought some of you might like to know this. Just spoke with our LP manager at the walmart I work at. He said as long as your not on the clock you can open carry (PA store 2255) and as long as you have a permit you can carry concealed. He said he nor the manager care as long as your legal.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just thought some of you might like to know this. Just spoke with our LP manager at the walmart I work at. He said as long as your not on the clock you can open carry (PA store 2255) and as long as you have a permit you can carry concealed. He said he nor the manager care as long as your legal.

Yahoo - that is fantastic and very good news!

We-the-People

Excellent news for the WalMart employees at that store, now we just need more stores to follow suit.....though that would gain the attention of corporate and who knows how they might address the issue.

Found anotherstory on the Portland gun buy back thing I went to a bit ago. This one seems to be fairly good towards the liberty minded gun owners. I kind of got the impression the author is dissing the "Liberal Gun Club".

Here's a link to the article/blog:
http://www.heldtoanswer.com/2012/08/carpooling-to-the-gun-range/

Here's a link to my YouTube video at the buyback (may have posted it up above):
http://www.heldtoanswer.com/2012/08/carpooling-to-the-gun-range/

Kramer

We-the-People

Thanks for the link to the blog, I enjoyed reading it. However, your link to the youtube video is the same as the blog link. Could you re-post the correct link. Thanks.

Glad you enjoyed reading it. Not sure why the same link went up. Operator error I'm sure. Here's the correct link to the YouTube video of the "festivities". LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvFF91mZSG4&feature=plcp

Yesterday, OC'd down to Ashland to pick up books and supplies for the term that starts on Monday. Disarmed (uck) to go on campus but was OC the rest of the time including an hour and a half or so at the Starbucks just south of SOU on the main drag.