• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

Reverend45Cal

imported post

Long time reader, First time Poster.

Carried into Plaid Pantry on TV Highway in Aloha, Near Harvey Marine. He glanced lady behind me looked as i seen in my side vision and neither flinched.

Walked into Sechwan house off TV last night, LE even sitting in there eating watching the door and not a flinch.

We-the-People

imported post

Reverend45Cal wrote:
Long time reader, First time Poster.

Carried into Plaid Pantry on TV Highway in Aloha, Near Harvey Marine. He glanced lady behind me looked as i seen in my side vision and neither flinched.

Walked into Sechwan house off TV last night, LE even sitting in there eating watching the door and not a flinch.

As it should be. I wonder how many get nervous when they are OCing and walk into an extablishment where LE is already seated? Or conversely, when LE walks into where you are seated?

The only thing I do if I see LE is move my recorder from pocket to hand or table so that it's more handy (and I make sure it's in a pocket on the weak side).

JBURGII

imported post

I haven't had any LEO get close enough to really notice while I have been OCing in say a diner or anything yet.. just the local PD here in Junction City who already know I carry. I don't behave in any different manner or plan to change my ways if and when they do notice, I am not doing anything wrong and figure a confident and normal presentation will go farther towards reducing suspicion and reactivity than getting nervous and jittery.

Now that I have been OCing for over a year now constantly I am pretty comfortable with it and carry myself pretty normal. It took a while as that weight is very different when you first start out.

I try to keep my recorder as handy as possible anyway.. but if the need be, my cell phone has a one button activated record function and I keep it easy to reach as well.. redundancy can pay off..

I have been in countless establishments lately.. I have listed some in other threads recently.. Winco, some pawn shops, Shari's, Fred Meyers, Burger King, Dairy Queen, Taco Bell, feed stores, pet stores and the list goes on.. no negative comments or reactions from anybody.. Im starting to think Im invisible.. :shock:

Rev. Jim

We-the-People

imported post

JBURGII wrote:
I try to keep my recorder as handy as possible anyway.. but if the need be, my cell phone has a one button activated record function and I keep it easy to reach as well.. redundancy can pay off..

I have been in countless establishments lately.. I have listed some in other threads recently.. Winco, some pawn shops, Shari's, Fred Meyers, Burger King, Dairy Queen, Taco Bell, feed stores, pet stores and the list goes on.. no negative comments or reactions from anybody.. Im starting to think Im invisible.. :shock:

Rev. Jim

Might be prudent to activate both recorders as a "bad encounter" could see the "regular" recorder confiscated while the cell phone isn't noticed to be recording. I don't think there are THAT many bad encounters out there but it it's YOU that has one, it's best to be over prepared. I plan to carry two recorders when in Portland with that in mind.

As for being invisible, I was beginning to think I was as well....until I bought a shiny Judge with a Serpa holster that stood out more. And now with the 5.7 FN (full size) in a Serpa it's more noticeable as well. I think it's that the Serpa (and similar) holsters leave more of the firearm exposed as opposed to holsters that cover up everything but the grip with holster and thumb strap.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

JBURGII wrote:
Im starting to think Im invisible.. :shock:

Rev. Jim

Hey Oregon,

I also seem to think I am invisible here in Washington. However, it has re-awakend my opinion that most people are clueless to what is going on around them. I can walk through Freddy's for an hour and have no one out of 100 people even cast a glance. I do dress fairly conservatively and have a black Sig 229 with a black Galco holster, so it blends in, but still....

p.s. I travel to Oregon on occasion...

JBURGII

imported post

A second recorder or a witness/friend who knows to activate theirs as well can be a real benefit in the long run..

The size and type of weapon does have an impact on the reactions of leo and panic stricken sheeple.. in another thread someone carried an AK pistol and had some issues with leo.. even though its perfectly legal to carry it drew a lot of attention due to its size and 'evil look'..

My nickel plated .38 / 4" k frame is not small but in a black full shroud holster it gets the pass from the less observant people in public. I dress in combat boots, jeans and t-shirts/carhart.. yer basic redneck.. but I have found attitude accounts fora LOT of the reaction you get. If you exude confidence, people seem to accept that whatever you are or carry is legit. I have had to correct a few folks who have said, "Oh you must be a cop." I have a lot of friends who are officers and if you are around them for long, even off duty they have that 'authority' aura. Even though I do not have the 'cop' look, I have gotten that reaction because of the attitude. I have to admit, It took a while for me to develop that attuitude, I was nervous as heck when I first started. Now I tie my boots, check my weapon, grab my coffee and hit the door every morning like I own the world..

Merry Christmas and God Bless all,

Rev. Jim

We-the-People

imported post

I got the "tude" when I was 18, Marine Corps boot camp. I don't walk about willy nilly. I know where I'm going and I get there, even if I don't, it LOOKS like I do. Decisions (such as "is this the turn") are made instantaneously when out and about and there is a definite appearance of confidence in my stride and posture.

I've had the "are you a cop" questions but really chuckle at the ones that don't even consider that I'm not and start with "hello officer" (or similar). Gotta make sure we educate those about the armed citizen and THEIR right to keep and bear.

In the local Sportsmans warehouse I've had a number of people just assume I work there because of the firearm. Strangely, none of the employees wearing the Sportsmans "uniform" green shirt wear sidearms but for some reason, the power of deduction evades these people.

DenWin

imported post

JBURGII wrote:
Hmm.. lets lock the first responders out to start.. good idea there... :banghead:

What if there are some in need of medical attention? Do they supply EMT, PD or FD with a 'pass code' or something to bypass the security system?

This is a perfect scenario to advocate the carry of self defense weapons.

I look forward to following this storyline..

Rev. Jim
Also gives me another good reason to carry my squad size blow out bag in case any one DOES need to be treated. A good assortment of Israili bandages, gauze, nasal pharyngeals, a couple of chest decompression needles, and sucking chest wound bandages, and tourniquets. I always try to have one with me when ever I can. Don't have fluids yet, but hopefully EMT/FD will be there shortly to do that one.

We-the-People

imported post

DenWin wrote:
JBURGII wrote:
Hmm.. lets lock the first responders out to start.. good idea there... :banghead:

What if there are some in need of medical attention? Do they supply EMT, PD or FD with a 'pass code' or something to bypass the security system?

Rev. Jim
Also gives me another good reason to carry my squad size blow out bag in case any one DOES need to be treated. A good assortment of Israili bandages, gauze, nasal pharyngeals, a couple of chest decompression needles, and sucking chest wound bandages, and tourniquets. I always try to have one with me when ever I can. Don't have fluids yet, but hopefully EMT/FD will be there shortly to do that one.
Just don't waste any on the BG (or BG's).

DenWin

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
DenWin wrote:
JBURGII wrote:

Rev. Jim
Just don't waste any on the BG (or BG's).
If I get around to it, I may have to use his own blood soaked shirt when I get to him to patch him up. :p I'll still help if I have some time, I can't look like I WANT to let him bleed out painfully and slowly.

We-the-People

imported post

Considering that the BG might very well have a contagious disease and you're fresh out of sterile gloves...........

Not having a licence, and therefore no legal obligation to give aid, I'll do what I can for victims and that's it.

JBURGII

imported post

All of my vehicles have at least a rudimentary first aid kit but when you are 'on the scene' as it were.. do you have the time or ability to obtain the equipment in a reasonable time?

Officer, "Why is your weapon stuck in this mans leg?"

Me, "Er.. I was trying to plug the artery... and the barrell is cleaner than my finger.."

Okay, I really need to back off the coffee...

Rev. Jim

JBURGII

imported post

Some of you might remember my stories about managing a rooming house (threads from Junction City) and the frequent contact with criminal elements and my continuous contact with the local police department.. well this past weekend one of the tenants was kidnapped in the next town over and transported at gun point to the rooming house where they robbed another person while they were there.. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am not to be there anymore..

I know the persons kidnapped and robbed and the activites do not surprise me. It is believed that this was brought on by monies owed for certain types of 'deals' but this is just a guess..

Anyway, other than that I have been OCing all over during the holiday muss and fuss and have had nothing but smiles and greetings from the general public.. gotta love it.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Rev. Jim

We-the-People

imported post

JBURGII wrote:
Some of you might remember my stories about managing a rooming house (threads from Junction City) and the frequent contact with criminal elements and my continuous contact with the local police department.. well this past weekend one of the tenants was kidnapped in the next town over and transported at gun point to the rooming house where they robbed another person while they were there.. I can't begin to tell you how happy I am not to be there anymore..

I know the persons kidnapped and robbed and the activites do not surprise me. It is believed that this was brought on by monies owed for certain types of 'deals' but this is just a guess..

Anyway, other than that I have been OCing all over during the holiday muss and fuss and have had nothing but smiles and greetings from the general public.. gotta love it.

Rev. Jim

And merry Christmas from the European Union where "holiday shapes" do not exist, it is CHRISTMAS here and no one seems to be offended. Imagine that!!!!!

DenWin

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
Considering that the BG might very well have a contagious disease and you're fresh out of sterile gloves...........

Not having a licence, and therefore no legal obligation to give aid, I'll do what I can for victims and that's it.

To each their own :D Besides, It's not like I have anything to stop the pain, and when all I have left is a tourniquet, that can be QUITE exciting.

As far as open carrying around:

Starbucks - no problem; Ava Roasteria (little coffee shop at 2nd and Hall in Beaverton, 24 hr) - no problem, even in the wee hours of the morning;Walgreens - no problem; Sushi Boat (Murray and Scholls shopping center) - "Are you a cop?" no problems; Fred Meyer - no problems; 7-11 - no problems; Plaid Pantry - no problems; La Fogattas (Mexican restaurant near Red Robin in Beaverton) - no problems; Taco Bell - no problems; mom's side of the family for Christmas eve - no problems :p.

All in all, rather non eventful in a good way. Hope everyone else is having a good time with their adventures.

Hope you all have a merry Christmas.

JBURGII

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
JBURGII wrote:

Rev. Jim

And merry Christmas from the European Union where "holiday shapes" do not exist, it is CHRISTMAS here and no one seems to be offended. Imagine that!!!!!

According to our illustrious President, we are not a Christain nation so Christmas and its trappings must be a waste of resources. These are assets better re-distributed evenly among the'non-christian' masses. (sarcasm alert)..

Honestly, I have met many wonderful christians (defined as a general class including many versions of faith based on Christ) during this year and these holiday seasons and so far haven't offended any of them with my 'crazy' ideas and habits. I am pretty sure this 'political correctness' that drives a lot of the behaviors causing negativity towards your average christian is a progressive tool that is embraced by our government. I realize we do have good folks in D.C. who are trying to work for our interests but there are a lot of power mongers who have no interest in anything but there own agenda.

What really scares these folks is not the fact that we carry a weapon but the mindset of those who do so. We refuse to be sheep, we refuse to be serfs or good little citizens that don't rock the boat. If you look, groups like Americans for Prosperity and the Tea Party variants are all solid hard working people who would have been right at home stepping up and supporting our Independence in the first place.. we are at war with those who would destroy our country, turn it back into that which we rebelled against in the first place..

Keep up the good fight my friends, I will get off the soapbox for the day.. hope all had a Merry Christmas and blessings for the New Year.

Rev. Jim

JBURGII

imported post

Lets see, Dollar Tree, Wells Fargo, Taco Bell.. Fred Meyers constantly.. geez.. we even went out into the woods to kill some paper targets and the squirrels didn't call it in.

Rev. Jim

We-the-People

imported post

Carrying empty holster at school every day in protest of their unlawful policy (unlawful per state law) prohibiting students from carrying. Got a MWAG "call" on me yesterday when someone told security "I think a guy out there has a gun" (I was on break and enjoying a cigarette in the smoking area with several other folks).

Security didn't respond as I'd already made contact and the officer actually told the "complainant" something positive (can't remember what he told me he said) and then told me about it later as I was leaving. Good PR (with a pro 2A guard) resulted in a "whiner" being basically ignored, possibly saving the next open carry advocate from being whined on.