• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

Dogbait

Wow. I started this thread two years ago and it's still going! Didn't expect that to happen.

At any rate, I'm still carrying, but I do concealed carry now. Too many gung ho cops and jittery citizens. Idon't have the time to explain myself all the time either!

You're joking, right? Do enlighten us with more details

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Carried to La Rockita, a small Mexican place in Corvallis last night to pick up a burrito. Waited at the empty bar next to the door. Walked home.

Today I walked to farmer's market to grab a few things. Walked along the Willamette river there and back. When I was picking up my mail my neighbor noticed my Glock and said he liked that I was carrying and related a story of how he had carried once in a national forest on horseback. This was before it was legal to do so, but him and several of his friends were carrying. A ranger noticed him being armed and questioned him and my neighbor asked if the ranger was going to take it off of him, to which the ranger replied in the negative. Good interaction.

I'm always impressed by how many cool people live in this state.

bigtoe416

Open carried to First Alternative Co-op to pick up some vegetables to grill before heading over to my friend's house last night. Had a good BBQ and afterwards we decided to get some gelato in downtown Corvallis, but first my friend had to stop at the Peacock Bar & Grill to pick up his debit card that he forgot the night before. We walked downtown, I had my Glock and he was carrying a 9mm Ruger of some sort in a paddle holster. When we get to the bar the bouncers say that he can't come in armed (that's fine) so one of the bouncers goes in to grab his card.

The other bouncer asks us what is up with open carry. I say it's for personal protection and our right, so it's good to do it to remind people that they can carry. Then he says, "As an ex-marine, I disagree with that." I ask him if he disagrees with open carry versus concealed carry and he says, "No, I don't think people should carry at all. It's like carrying a nuke around with you." I probably cocked my head to the side in the "Whaaaaaat?" fashion and said that you can't really use a nuke in a defensive fashion to protect your life without killing a ton of other people so it's pretty different. He said he disagreed and it was the same thing. By then the other bouncer had returned, so we bid them a good night and left for the gelato place. Afterwards we walked home. No other interactions to report.

That was my first negative encounter, even after carrying in the bay area a handful of times. Odd that it would come from a supposed ex-marine.

Teddybearfrmhell

...... That was my first negative encounter, even after carrying in the bay area a handful of times. Odd that it would come from a supposed ex-marine.

not that odd, first thing the military does when taking control of a hostile people is disarm them...... in occupied japan the citizens were not allowed to own much less carry arms. the 2nd amendment is usually the first thing to go out the window when dealing with the military, closely followed by the first amendment..... this is why we have both and a civilian leadership.

his analogy towards nukes just shows his lack of complex thought, he let his FEELINGS dictate what was right and wrong instead of reality.

We-the-People

If he said EX Marine instead of FORMER Marine (we Marines make a major distinction between the two) then he either wasn't a Marine or he had "problems" in the Marines. Even 1 tour Marines call themselves FORMER Marines. Which really isn't accuarate either because ONCE A MARINE ALWAYS A MARINE (with a very few exceptions like that idiot that went to Iraq to be a human shield)

And the nuke thing, that's not something a vet would say.

I'm betting he's a wanna be.

Teddybearfrmhell

If he said EX Marine instead of FORMER Marine (we Marines make a major distinction between the two) then he either wasn't a Marine or he had "problems" in the Marines. Even 1 tour Marines call themselves FORMER Marines. Which really isn't accuarate either because ONCE A MARINE ALWAYS A MARINE (with a very few exceptions like that idiot that went to Iraq to be a human shield)

And the nuke thing, that's not something a vet would say.

I'm betting he's a wanna be.

betting you are right, could be he was afraid of guns and cried when he was talked mean to by his marine corps guidance counselor.

We-the-People

i am sure his tattoo says "whimper fi"

Reminds me of "Heartbreak Ridge" and the SgtMajor that kissed the Majors behind. "Ticket punching a$& kissers" (TPAK)...that character reminded me of a few TPAK's that I encountered in the Corps. Not many, but "whimper fi" definitely would fit them. More concerned about how a decision might affect their performance report than whether it was right or wrong.

They didn't have men under them that could say "that's an AK47, the preferred weapon of the enemy, it makes a very distinctive sound". LOL

As of OC today... OC'd down to pick up a RockChucker press from a friend (50 bucks wooo hooo). Stepped into the Tripple Tree to see if he was there yet and then back out to my car as I didn't see him...got a few looks as they were crowded. Sitting in my truck for like 15 minutes I was thinking "one of them will call the cops and I didn't bring my recorder". Nope, went back in and had breakfast with the friend, picked up my RockChucker, then to the hardware store to pick up some mounting bolts, and on home.

Another no event (as it should be) Southern Oregon OC experience.

bigtoe416

If he said EX Marine instead of FORMER Marine (we Marines make a major distinction between the two) then he either wasn't a Marine or he had "problems" in the Marines.

That's interesting to know. He might have said former, I don't recall.

Took a friend up to Portland Airport today along with my fiancee, but first we stopped off in downtown Portland to walk around for a couple of hours. I carried my usual Glock 22 in condition 1, but I was wearing a light jacket which partially covered my holster. Grabbed some food truck food (Bibimbap Burrito, mmm) and ate it on a bench. While we were sitting there a Portland PD rolled by five feet away and then a Transit Police officer stopped across the street and handcuffed a guy who was sitting on a bench further down from me (maybe 75 feet away?). Walked over to Powell's and looked around a bit, then to Anthropologie (I was with two girls), and stopped in a music store to look around at their used records.

On the way back to my car we stopped into the Marriot on Oak to quickly use their lobby restroom. I waited a couple of minutes for the restroom to free up, used the facilities and then met back up with my group and we departed. When I walked up to my fiancee I noticed she had her iPhone out with the recording app open. I also noticed that there seemed to be somewhat of a commotion going on over at the front desk. When we were out on the street my friend (who had been near the front desk the entire time) said she heard the workers talking about a man with a gun in the restroom and how he can't open carry without a license. I guess I was quick enough that they were still trying to figure out what the heck to do with me by the time we walked out. My car was nearby and by the time we left I didn't see any police whizzing by or anything. I wonder if having my sidearm partially concealed did more to make them curious versus having it plainly in the open.

Things I learned. It's great to have friendly witnesses around who also have recording devices. I'm glad I had my voice recorder in my front chest pocket the entire time. People in large cities can be a bit high strung. Some people seem really concerned with making sure people are licensed to carry a firearm, but at the same time they assume that everybody driving is licensed to do so.

We-the-People

I freakin LOVE IT.

Was the IPhone app the Unstoppable Recorder? Can't be stopped without a passcode, even if you turn off the device. I'm still looking for something like that for audio/video but haven't found it.

So....did you carry in the airport like that or cover up better?

bigtoe416

Nah, it was just the normal iphone recorder. At the airport I had it the same way I had it in Portland: halfway exposed with an open light jacket. I turned off my car and got out to help with luggage and hug my friend. I doubt anybody noticed, for a Saturday it was surprisingly empty.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that my fiancee open carried Thursday on Dan's Trail in McDonald Forest, which is just north of Corvallis. It was her first time doing so and I wasn't there to protect her from any authorities, but her outing was uneventful.

VW_Factor

We bought my wife an OWB holster for her revolver. I still haven't convinced her to take the plunge yet though. I understand where she comes from. It isn't that she doesn't want to, she just hates to be bothered by other people for much any reason. I am mostly the same way myself, I dislike pretty much everyone (unless the person shows me otherwise) as a result don't like to be bothered by them.

While I haven't had much more than 2 encounters (1 extremely positive from random person and 1 negativeish from a random person), I hope that she begins to see that not many people notice nor do they care.

She also worries that sometime we'll be "kicked out" of the grocery store we shop at. I told her that if it really did come to that, I would just go CC and alleviate the problem. (We don't have much for grocery options around these parts and I will not shop groceries at Wal-Mart).

So, great job having the significant other carry! :D

Historyman1942

(We don't have much for grocery options around these parts and I will not shop groceries at Wal-Mart).

At least Wal-mart doesnt have any OC restrictions if the state the store is located in has no laws prohibiting OC, so you have to give them that. I almost never go into Walmart but I wont shop anywhere that would have an issue if I OC. As a side note I do CC and OC with a 1/4 ratio between the two.

VW_Factor

I've been OC at our store, at the self check out with our towns PD right behind me in line. Either he didn't notice or didn't bother to say anything. Point is..

My wife just worries a lot is all, and trying to help her over that with OC.

Teddybearfrmhell

walmart is the closest store to my house.... less than a mile, so i shop there often and have only ever had one interaction there....

a mom and small boy were in line next to me.... the boy noticed my pistol and told his mom.... and asked her if i was a cop? she looked me over and said that she didnt think so. he asked her why i had a gun, she told him to ask me and he did...
i asked him if his mom carried a gun..... he said no.....my response..... "well i have MY gun so i can help keep you and your mom safe if a bad guy shows up". he got a huge smile, so did the mom..... and then she thanked me.

Satyr

Open carried into Food 4 Less today, bought some tomato soup and some other stuff for my sick wife. Had to ask a few employees where stuff was, only got a few odd looks from some of the other customers. I did have a guy get a little too close for comfort but I just set my forearm down stiffly on the top of my Glock and I felt a little better. All in all, it was a great day today.