• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Open Carry Report

VW_Factor

I would not hand mine to an unfriendly either. I only show it to friends and family, but I can easily send it to someone curious and willing to give me their email instead of trying to tell them how to find it on this site.

I may have to make another Google account for doing something like that. Good idea, however I wouldn't want them to have my main Google email either. (not that I check it that often anyway).

Cremator75

I may have to make another Google account for doing something like that. Good idea, however I wouldn't want them to have my main Google email either. (not that I check it that often anyway).

That's exactly why I have two gmails. One for personal and one for junk mail that I don't care if people know the address to.

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Somehow I forgot to include my Portland visit in my last update. I was up in Portland on Martin Luther King Day a couple of weeks ago with some friends. We were planning on going to Broder for brunch, which is in southeast Portland, in the Hawthorne District. I was openly carrying my usual rig, went to Broder, saw there was a long wait. Then we walked around a bit trying to find a place that was open, but since it was MLK Day there were a number of closed places. Finally we ended up at a small cafe on Division between 21st and 22nd, we ordered some food and ate there. After we finished we went to PDX to drop my friends off for their flight out. I got out of the car and helped with their baggage, hugged them and wished them well. No issues or dirty looks the entire time.

Last edited:

bigtoe416

In the past week I've got dinner a couple of times, once at my local taqueria and once at Evergreen Indian in downtown Corvallis. No issues. I also had to pick up something at Robnett's Hardware where a worker asked if I had my carry license. We briefly chatted about carrying firearms, he was friendly and courteous. Yesterday I had to send a package from FedEx, no issues. Then I had to get my blood drawn at Good Samaritan Medical Center. When I was called in, the phlebotomist asked, "Do you seriously have a gun?" I said, "Yup" and that was the end of that. Another lovely week of carry in Oregon.

BadMoon Risin68

at about 9 am this morning good friend of mine had gone to bi-mart for some shooting supplies before heading up to memaloose. No luck they weren't open till 10 so we headed from Tigard to Oregon City where we stopped at fisherman marine supply. Walked in no problems with anyone till we got to the gun counter of all places. Im wearing my level three w/ light attachment Safariland holster for Glock 17. Kid behind the counter "Hey do you have a permit" Me- "yeah" Kid "Well then you need to conceal that" Me- looked at him for a second? (who's going to tell the guy with the gun what to do look?) I went on with my shopping since they sell guns I was obviously buying and he wasn't a manager.

I went on with my purchase and had a great time at memaloose.

However I found myself in a position of being an A$$ with a gun and going the education route. and I did neither I just simply ignored him. kind of funny since they teach Conceald Classes at fisherman marine supply. But maybe he needs to be educated. I chose not to escalate it since he had a problem with me from the get go staring at both my friend and I as if we were thieves. just my experience open carrying for the first time but I knew I was in the right since I had done nothing and was purchasing. If he wanted to push it farther I would have gladly talked to him and or the manager since there was no signs posted.

bigtoe416

However I found myself in a position of being an A$$ with a gun and going the education route. and I did neither I just simply ignored him.

Sounds like a great opportunity to hand out an open carry flyer to help inform the gentleman of his rights.

Yesterday I went for a hike just north of Corvallis while carrying. It was lovely out and there were quite a few people out hiking. On the way back to my car I found a sign referencing a Corvallis ordinance 72.27, which I believe said firearms weren't allowed. I came home and looked it up and from what I could find it looks like the law says shooting firearms isn't permitted. I'll have to contact the city regarding the sign and the law (since no exemption is listed for self-defense). Hopefully they'll be receptive to removing/changing the sign. After the hike I had brunch at The Broken Yolk, the place was packed and the food was decent. I think Sunnyside Up is much better for breakfast. No issues at all.

Today I grabbed breakfast at Sunnyside Up and then rode my bicycle up to Winco to pick up some bulk cereal. On my way back a police officer made a left turn in front of me, he slowed down to apologize for not seeing me, I told him "Not a problem" and I continued straight as he made a left into a driveway. He was on my weak side, so I doubt he noticed my sidearm.

Looks like the weather is finally starting to look more like spring and less like winter. It'll be nice to be able to carry in a t-shirt again and to worry about being too hot versus too cold.

Last edited:

Warren Drouin

Just got back from Muchas Grasious. I was at that place ordering my food at 12:15pm on 2-7-2012 and while I was about to order my food, I seen 2 officers came through the door. Once they were in, they started to make a conversation. At that time, they did not even notice my handgun and my firearm was 100% viewable for them to see. Still they did not notice and I was ordering my food (shredded beef burrito). After I place my order I went to set down calm myself because my body for some reason start to shake when I see officers of the law. Once my order came up, I got up and grab my food while my handgun was 100% viewable once again and still they did not notice. After I set down and was eating my food, the undercover officer notice my firearm and told his friend (I assume) which is in his uniform. The officer in his uniform ask if I was a police officer and I replied "no, just an open carry person".

Officer Replied "That why everyone loves Oregon, they get to open carry"

I smiled and replied "Yes sir, we also have people that always open carry here in this business"

Officer replied "I bet no ones going to commit a crime here since everyone carry a gun :) "

I replied "hopefully"

Officer replied "True. It nice here in Oregon even though there is a lot of liberals in the city"

I replied " yes there is"

Officer replied "alright, you go ahead and eat :)"

This is what officers should do when they contact a person that is exercising his 2cd amendment right.

1: Be respectful and polite

2: Don't ask ID or even detain when there is no reasonable articuable suspension of a crime

3: Know the laws in Oregon and supreme court rulings

4: Don't seize someone property when there is no crime

5: And most importantly.....Have a awesome smile :) LOL

These Officers have gain my respect +1 for these officers!

Teddybearfrmhell

Just got back from Muchas Grasious. I was at that place ordering my food at 12:15pm on 2-7-2012 and while I was about to order my food, I seen 2 officers came through the door. Once they were in, they started to make a conversation. At that time, they did not even notice my handgun and my firearm was 100% viewable for them to see. Still they did not notice and I was ordering my food (shredded beef burrito). After I place my order I went to set down calm myself because my body for some reason start to shake when I see officers of the law. Once my order came up, I got up and grab my food while my handgun was 100% viewable once again and still they did not notice. After I set down and was eating my food, the undercover officer notice my firearm and told his friend (I assume) which is in his uniform. The officer in his uniform ask if I was a police officer and I replied "no, just an open carry person".

I smiled and replied "Yes sir, we also have people that always open carry here in this business"

Officer replied "I bet no ones going to commit a crime here since everyone carry a gun :) "

I replied "hopefully"

Officer replied "True. It nice here in Oregon even though there is a lot of liberals in the city"

This is what officers should do when they contact a person that is exercising his 2cd amendment right.

2: Don't ask ID or even detain when there is no reasonable articuable suspension of a crime

excellent interaction warren..... i am proud of ya

Ironbar

I replied "hopefully"

That good that you have such good beef burrito and talk good with oficers undercover and in his uniform. Have great day Warren! Ill been seen you later!

Dogbait

Report for the last few weeks:

Fred Meyers: An employee working the self-checkout said, "Your thing is hanging out" .. I smiled and said, "Yes, I know, thank you." :lol: He walked off and came back around putting bins away. I then mentioned to him that it was legal in Oregon, etc. and told him to have a nice day. ( I didn't have any pamphlets :( )

Dollar Tree: No issues

Burger King: No issues during a busy lunch.

Big Lots: No issues

Sr9c

Only been OC'ing for a few days. I have always concealed but I have found a lot of benefits with OC so far. I live in Medford and have carried in: Sportsmans Warehouse, Hewitts Motorsports, Fred Meyer and while around my apartment complex with no major issues. A heard my upstairs neighbor say: "Oh god he has a gun, why do you think he has a gun?" to her husband.... Funny to hear it from a crackhead... Anyways, I wasn't sure how fellow Southern Oregonians would take to OCing but I have seen that people are far more educated than I expected.

EDIT: I recently worked at Fred Meyer (Southgate) and I can only imagine the things the people there would say if someone OC'd. Just an un-educated group of individuals that could use some enlightening.

AFTER: Went to Starbucks and had no issues. In Fred Meyer I noticed a few people double take and a guy actually started to follow me after he saw my Ruger. Pretty weird but I kept looking at him and he just seemed curious. Stopped by 7-11 on the way home to grab some drinks. I even got to move up a spot in line haha. I got a Redbox outside and a van with what I presume to be a family pulled up and they all seemed like they had just seen a ghost when they saw me. No major issues today. Planning on running a few errands tomorrow and maybe get together with some friends to go shooting. Will post after more OCing!

Last edited:

VW_Factor

I stopped in a Chevron station in Oregon City to purchase a cigar. Nothing to mention.

Also, a good visit with some OC'ers at Oregon City Starbucks right off the 205.

Overall, a good day out.